My neighbor is going downhill in his fight with cancer.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
He and his wife have been my neighbor for 20 years. He retired at 72 and then less than a year later was diagnosed with skin cancer on his scalp. He worked for 50 years, was all set financially and had all of about 10 months of retirement before the Cancer struck. He has been through all manner of exotic treatments and it has bought him some time, but every time I see him he looks weaker. I help him with his trash cans or whatever he needs. He is just a great guy, the backbone of America type and he absolutely hates needing help. I'd be the same way I'm sure. He keeps fighting but Cancer is a mother fucker. It is relentless.

I guess the point of this is, none of us knows what time we have left. As for me I don't spend one day in fear of anything or hating anyone. Life is too short to waste it. To paraphrase Forest Gump, your days are like a box of chocolates. Enjoy each and every one because you don't know how many you have.

He and his wife have been my neighbor for 20 years. He retired at 72 and then less than a year later was diagnosed with skin cancer on his scalp. He worked for 50 years, was all set financially and had all of about 10 months of retirement before the Cancer struck. He has been through all manner of exotic treatments and it has bought him some time, but every time I see him he looks weaker. I help him with his trash cans or whatever he needs. He is just a great guy, the backbone of America type and he absolutely hates needing help. I'd be the same way I'm sure. He keeps fighting but Cancer is a mother fucker. It is relentless.

I guess the point of this is, none of us knows what time we have left. As for me I don't spend one day in fear of anything or hating anyone. Life is too short to waste it. To paraphrase Forest Gump, your days are like a box of chocolates. Enjoy each and every one because you don't know how many you have.
Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately cancer can strike anyone, regardless of their lifestyle. It's nice to know people like you care so much about others.

Sorry to hear this. I hope he wins this fight. I just read a story about a guy who was given a 1% chance of beating the Wuhan Virus and he prevailed, so may he also succeed.

I do agree with your sentiments, in general...

That's why I threw away /gave away everything, two years ago and been buming around the entire Western US for almost two years now. plus I wanted to find GOD and I met alot of kind and interesting people along the way in Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon, Idaho. Some bad but most all good.

It's funny it started out I was told I was dying 4 years ago, and two years I had enough of working and said screw it, hoped on a greyhound and took off

I found out the doctors was wrong again, but I did have a heart attach 4 weeks ago, so that's another wake up call...

I'm going through something similar. A few years back, my roomie was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She's been doing good up until a couple of months ago. Gonna have to just wait and see how things go. The thing that sucks is listening to her squeak when she is in pain, and knowing there is nothing that I can do about it.

Yeah, I feel for you and your neighbors Mike. I understand what they are going through.

I'm going through something similar. A few years back, my roomie was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She's been doing good up until a couple of months ago. Gonna have to just wait and see how things go. The thing that sucks is listening to her squeak when she is in pain, and knowing there is nothing that I can do about it.

Yeah, I feel for you and your neighbors Mike. I understand what they are going through.

Hate to tell you this, but the odds of her surviving a second round of ovarian cancer is virtually zero. There is an extraordinarily high fatality rate for a recurrence of that one.

A shame. Sorry to hear it. Exactly why I called it quits and 62 to enjoy what I had worked for.

A shame. Sorry to hear it. Exactly why I called it quits and 62 to enjoy what I had worked for.
I did the same thing, once my kids were through college and turned 62 I called it a career. I'm enjoying every day and hope you and everyone on this board is able to do the same.

Melanoma? Bad stuff. I lost my mother to that form of cancer many years ago. She was a heavy smoker and I don't know if it had any bearing on it.

I did the same thing, once my kids were through college and turned 62 I called it a career. I'm enjoying every day and hope you and everyone on this board is able to do the same.
It is what you and I and most Americans work for, that ability to retire on our own terms and enjoy the fruits of our labor before old age or sickness takes it's toll. Some people just keep working out of habit until they miss the payoff. Like John Hughes in Farris Bueller wisely abserved:
1589387159457.png

Melanoma? Bad stuff. I lost my mother to that form of cancer many years ago. She was a heavy smoker and I don't know if it had any bearing on it.
Yes, because it was on his scalp so it was basically brain surgery removing it. But it had already spread. They did a bunch of treatments and put it in remission but it's already coming back.

Forum List

Back