My dog is old

How certain are we that she's going to die during this time period, regardless? If it's certain she's dying then have her put down. If she's just old and feeble, I'm not of the opinion that death is preferable to inconvenience..not for people or animals.

I spent thousands and was around him as much as possible when my Cocker Spaniel got cancer. When he stopped eating..I knew it was time.

:( It broke my heart.

I grew up with a cocker spaniel named Honey. She had epilepsy from the time she was a year old but lived until she was 12. I loved that dog... she wasn't much on kids, though. Then I had cats as an adult. And now I have a lop eared rabbit. We spent about !,200 on surgery and medical care for him this year because he got an abscess that had to be removed. then i medicated him every day and gave him injections of anti-biotics. *sigh*

but he's really sweet :)

My son's family has a pet bunny. He's a house bunny, lol. And the pit doesn't mess with him, even when he's running loose in the house! Too funny.

Pet sitters are out there. Probably $10/day and they'll visit 3x/day.
It's tough when they get into their senior years.

I have done that for friends/neighbors before, for free.

Asking a neighbor would not hurt.

I am so sorry about your dog, Ravi :(

She is quite pathetic now. She no longer roams the neighborhood, she limps very badly, is terrified of loud noises (probably because she is deaf). She still enjoys her dinner.

Not sure what to do with her while we are on vacation.

She may be miserable for 10 days or we put her down.

:confused:

How old is she ? Would a kennel be an option ?

She is quite pathetic now. She no longer roams the neighborhood, she limps very badly, is terrified of loud noises (probably because she is deaf). She still enjoys her dinner.

How old is she ? Would a kennel be an option ?
15, and no it isn't.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

My daughter talked a friend of hers into taking care of the dog and I got the doggie prozac which seems to relieve her fear of loud noises. I also made her a safe place to hide that she can easily get in and out of without too much walking. She has used it constantly.

We shall see.

So, my doggie survived.

I gave her half a dose of doggie xanax before we left to see how she would do and it mellowed her out.

She was given a full dose on 4th of July and she stretched out in the grass like she was dead and freaked my neighbor out.

Thank you all again. :)

Be humane. Get it over with. I've done it many times over the years. Cheeseburger( with bacon), Injection...........listo.
I love animals but I'm a realist.

Is it humane to *get it over with*?

I mean, we're all going to die eventually. Should we just get it over with and save ourselves the fear, pain and uncertainty?

I have yet to see an animal attempt suicide. They will choose life as long as it is an option. When it's not, they will creep away and die on their own.

Glad it worked out for you Ravi. I offered my opinion, but just so you know, if you'd chosen to put the old pup down, it would of course be entirely your choice to make. Having had so many animals myself, I know how hard it is...they can't talk to us, and we do make mistakes, that's just the nature of it. I've never had an animal put down for anything other than over the top issues...a blind horse once, who was dangerous, and a kitten who was so frostbitten that the vet couldn't see any way to give her a decent quality of life. I have, however, been responsible for the deaths of animals that were in my care, through my own stupidity, mistakes or bad luck.

So I'm glad your dog lived to see another day. Dogs treasure every day, of that I'm sure. Regardless of what their situation is. It's what makes them so wonderful.

So, my doggie survived.

I gave her half a dose of doggie xanax before we left to see how she would do and it mellowed her out.

She was given a full dose on 4th of July and she stretched out in the grass like she was dead and freaked my neighbor out.

Thank you all again. :)

That's great news! :thup:

As long as the dog can get some pleasure out of life, even if it is just eating her dinner, don't put her down!

And the fact that she is eating shows that she doesn't feel too horrible. If she felt really bad, she wouldn't eat.

So hard. They are so sweet and so dependent on us. Heart breakers.

Such a sad time in a pet owner's life. :( Nearly all of my beloved pets have died after a long life, and it's heartbreaking to see one's beloved pet wither with illness and old age. My heart goes out to you. You will know when you see "that" look in your beloved dog's eyes that he is waiting for you to do the kind thing for him. Until then, cherish the days you have and the memories that you will keep always.

My dog is 13. Still ok, but he's as dead as a doorknob!
Good dog - he's been getting a lot of hot dogs lately for treats, vs. the boring bisquits from a box....

Be humane. Get it over with. I've done it many times over the years. Cheeseburger( with bacon), Injection...........listo.
I love animals but I'm a realist.

Stop being an idiot.

I've seen dogs live to the age of 22.

How certain are we that she's going to die during this time period, regardless? If it's certain she's dying then have her put down. If she's just old and feeble, I'm not of the opinion that death is preferable to inconvenience..not for people or animals.

I spent thousands and was around him as much as possible when my Cocker Spaniel got cancer. When he stopped eating..I knew it was time.

:( It broke my heart.

I grew up with a cocker spaniel named Honey. She had epilepsy from the time she was a year old but lived until she was 12. I loved that dog... she wasn't much on kids, though. Then I had cats as an adult. And now I have a lop eared rabbit. We spent about !,200 on surgery and medical care for him this year because he got an abscess that had to be removed. then i medicated him every day and gave him injections of anti-biotics. *sigh*

but he's really sweet :)

Rabbits make awesome pets. A lot of people don't realize how wonderous they can be. My
"thunderbunny" (yes named after val kilmer's movie " thunderheart" ) was this bunny that I swear looked like a chocolate point siamese but in a bunny body.

He was so cool. It's really neat to see that you have a lop.

Last edited:
My son's family have a pit bull, and a pet bunny. Yes, they both run in the house loose at the same time (tho not unchaperoned).

The bunny is hilarious. I can't believe it has survived this long..the kids are very physical with it, and when it has had enough it hides behind my son's feet, lol. He loves that goofy thing.

What the hell...take the dog with you. Might be the time of her life.

Forum List

Back