My dog is old

You'll put your old dog down so you won't feel guilty about going on vacation?!

This thread is 3 months old and Ravi is already back from vacation for a while now.

It's a difficult call to make in the last stages like this... I feel for you, Rav!

what-a-hug-can-do.jpg

“There are no good-byes, where ever you'll be, you'll be in my heart.” – Ghandi

Last edited:
Its such a shame that our pals don't have a very long life span.

Have held them in my arms when the time comes many, many times.

Its just the price we all pay for loving and sharing our lives with a dog.

Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our pets are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; Her eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your dog, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

~Author Unknown

Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our pets are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; Her eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your dog, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

~Author Unknown

Lovely. Thank you for this. I've some welcomes coming soon :eusa_angel:

Ravi, if you do decide that it's time, find a vet who will come to your house. My Black Labrador developed cancer 4 years ago, and my vet was so gracious, coming to my back yard (where I had pre-dug a 5 foot grave). Having her in her own backyard, she had no anxiety, and she was wagging her tail because there were new people 'visiting'. The first injection put her in a deep sleep, in my arms. The second one euthanized her. It was so much better than a vet office.

Most folks do not realize this, but you cannot take a euthanized pet out of a vet's office. They keep the body, you leave to drive home, all upset, and your pet ends up in a black plastic garbage bag in a dumpster. Some vets sell the bodies to rendering plants which make the rounds to different vets each week. Not my family members! I can go out next to my shed and visit her gravesite whenever I wish, and that helped a lot. I have another of my dogs on the other side of the shed, and a friend's Fox Terrier buried next to him, because he lived in an apartment.

Folks who know me from Hannity, like Liability, Dr. House, etc. no doubt remember my longtime sigline photo of her:

hb3.jpg

Here are the two of them together:

bohb.jpg

Good luck with this, Ravi.

Ravi, if you do decide that it's time, find a vet who will come to your house. My Black Labrador developed cancer 4 years ago, and my vet was so gracious, coming to my back yard (where I had pre-dug a 5 foot grave). Having her in her own backyard, she had no anxiety, and she was wagging her tail because there were new people 'visiting'. The first injection put her in a deep sleep, in my arms. The second one euthanized her. It was so much better than a vet office.

Most folks do not realize this, but you cannot take a euthanized pet out of a vet's office. They keep the body, you leave to drive home, all upset, and your pet ends up in a black plastic garbage bag in a dumpster. Some vets sell the bodies to rendering plants which make the rounds to different vets each week. Not my family members! I can go out next to my shed and visit her gravesite whenever I wish, and that helped a lot. I have another of my dogs on the other side of the shed, and a friend's Fox Terrier buried next to him, because he lived in an apartment.

Folks who know me from Hannity, like Liability, Dr. House, etc. no doubt remember my longtime sigline photo of her:

hb3.jpg

Here are the two of them together:

bohb.jpg

Good luck with this, Ravi.

That has got to be one of the best dog pics ever. Always loved that one. :)

Good advice for Ravi.

Ravi, I didn't realize this was an old thread when I posted that. I'm sorry. It was late, and I hadn't read the whole thread.

I'm so glad that Trajan mentioned a home vet visit before you had to decide.
hug.gif

Well reading thru this thread made me cry.... Its never easy letting go of a dear friend.

Sorry to hear about your loss Ravi. You obviously loved your pup very much.

I am dreading the day... my old friend is nearly 13 years old.

My first dog passed in the mid 70's and I still feel her around me from time to time.

Ravi, I didn't realize this was an old thread when I posted that. I'm sorry. It was late, and I hadn't read the whole thread.

hug.gif
No, it was a great suggestion so don't be sorry. It is good to get that sort of information out there. I didn't know that a vet would come to your home and it certainly made everything much easier.

hug.gif
No, it was a great suggestion so don't be sorry. It is good to get that sort of information out there. I didn't know that a vet would come to your home and it certainly made everything much easier.

Is it a local reg. that requires you to not be able to bring your pet home for burial?

I have never had that problem. I have a pet cemetery in my backyard, which is why I dont think I can ever move :(

Been here for 20+ yrs....

My wife's pussy is old. She is close to 14 years old. Starting to look a little skaggly too... Still purrs though!

hug.gif

Is it a local reg. that requires you to not be able to bring your pet home for burial?

I have never had that problem. I have a pet cemetery in my backyard, which is why I dont think I can ever move :(

Been here for 20+ yrs....
It probably is a local regulation. Our vet just had us sign a paper stating we choose to have a private burial and then he didn't ask any questions about that.

hug.gif
I had no idea that a vet would come to a home for that!

That is a great thing. You're right.

This thread is 3 months old and Ravi is already back from vacation for a while now.

It's a difficult call to make in the last stages like this... I feel for you, Rav!

what-a-hug-can-do.jpg

Is that a screen cap from Marley and Me? It's so beautiful..

what-a-hug-can-do.jpg

:dunno: I never saw that movie... I got the pic off google images.

what-a-hug-can-do.jpg

:dunno: I never saw that movie... I got the pic off google images.

It's a great movie. You'll cry but it's a classic.

Forum List

Back