My city is gone, what about yours?

The city I grew up in is a piece of work. It is a small New England town tucked away in southwestern New Hampshire with a beautiful church at the head of a circular rotary featuring a statue of a Civil War soldier. On a sultry summer night well after the witching hour in 1967 my friend Sonny and I were trying to move scattered cannonballs back into the neat pile where they originated around the replica cannon on Central Square as it is known.

Those round projectiles were incredibly heavy, and I could barely roll one, but Sonny was strong, and he could lift one and carry it. Just three years prior the city had been recognized for an “All-America-City” award, a distinction not handed out lightly. I could not have known a half century ago that the city would devolve into a bizarre Orwellian nightmare, manufacturing moronic Manchurian Candidates of political correctness.

The city has a newspaper, a radio station, and a college that have morphed into a kind of local Bermuda Triangle of dispensed brain damage, influencing public opinion in destructive ways, not the least of which appears to be a drop in local average intelligence. It is counterintuitive that a city with a college at its center would produce a cerebrally stunted population but that appears to be the case and it seems to be part of a plan to wreck civilized society in order to rebuild it in the image of some grand utopian surveilled and controlled model of totalitarian overlording.

It has been nearly 60 years since that All America City Award and in the overall scheme that is not much time to stupefy a community into giving up their most important freedoms. A brazen, stolen, and crooked presidential election took place right before the eyes of local denizens preoccupied with the fairy dust of equity, inclusion, and Critical Race Theory. The city is lost, and I am greatly saddened by this outcome.

All I can do is to keep an account of what is happening and use wordsmithing skills to bring it to the people. That is becoming more difficult in an age that cancels “dangerous thinking”. For those that can still think, censorship is the hallmark of every totalitarian society that has ever existed. If you are reading this you are still free, but time is running out. My city is gone, what about yours?

Yes, of course, in one sense ALL American cities are "gone."

That is to say, they have changed over the years for many reasons.

I guess the biggest change has been in demographics. (No need to be specific.)

Some people applaud these changes; others are less than enthusiastic.

But as the saying goes, it is what it is.

So we have no choice but to adapt ourselves to these changes. (Personally, I believe that some Americans in the next century will be emigrating. To where, I know not.)

The city has been run by the Dems almost non-stop but it has survived and prospered under them.
You mean in spite of them. BTW, 94-01 Mayor Rudy Giulliani, (R). Most NYers call him the most effective mayor in the city's history.
After striking the right tone post-9/11 his popularity soared. Opinions certainly vary widely but I never found a poll to support your contention. Got a link.

The city has been run by the Dems almost non-stop but it has survived and prospered under them.
You mean in spite of them. BTW, 94-01 Mayor Rudy Giulliani, (R). Most NYers call him the most effective mayor in the city's history.
After striking the right tone post-9/11 his popularity soared. Opinions certainly vary widely but I never found a poll to support your contention. Got a link.

My math skills are weak but I'm pretty sure that 31% doesn't constitute "Most NYers". The headline could just as well have said 69% of NYers don't think Giuliani was the best mayor of NYC.

My math skills are weak but I'm pretty sure that 31% doesn't constitute "Most NYers". The headline could just as well have said 69% of NYers don't think Giuliani was the best mayor of NYC.
HaHaHa, dodge, deflect--you're a democrat all right.

I grew up in the once small town of Hauppauge, New York. Hauppauge is out on Long Island in Suffolk County. It wasn't a small town by midwest standards, but certainly by New York standards.

The house I grew up in was built in 1837. The house was converted to gas heat sometime back in the 1930's. We had only a bathtub until 1976, when Dad had a shower put in. There was only one bathroom until my step-dad did an addition to the house in 1990.

Finding Revolutionary War relics was common, both in my backyard and the surrounding area, and the church down the street from the house, where my Mom and step-dad got married, still has British bullet holes in it.

We had a movie theater where a Saturday movie, a candy bar and popcorn could run you buck. It had only one screen, and showed only one movie for an entire week. I saw both "Jaws" and "Star Wars" in that theater. I saw "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" there over 200 times. The local volunteer fire department, of which my brother, my dad and my step-dad were all members, used to take part in the annual Memorial Day parade over in Smithtown. I marched in it one year when I was in Boy Scouts.

Every 4th of July they'd do a big fireworks show over on the football field at the middle school. We used to climb to the top of one of the ball field backstops for a better view. In the 70's we used to go back into "the woods" to smoke pot and drink really cheap beer around a bonfire at a place called "The Shrine", which is where another old church once stood. No one remembers when it got that name.

We'd go to the roller rink every Friday night to try to pick up girls who might be from other towns and we were miserable failures at it. Our phone numbers were a combination of letters and numbers. I remember my seven digit phone number started with "AN5".

Every Memorial Day and 4th of July we'd have a big block barbeque. The neighbors always hosted it, and everyone would show up except this one family, the Caggiano's, which (allegedly) had mob ties. They were always invited, though.

On summer nights we'd walk down the street to the local Carvel for chocolate cones with chocolate sprinkles.

We never locked our doors; never had to. Crime was non-existent.

I go back now and I don't recognize the place. The movie theater is a bank. The backstops were taken away when the baseball fields were paved over. "The Shrine" was bulldozed, along with the surrounding woods, and condos were put up in their stead. There's a strip mall where the roller rink once stood, but that old church down the road from the house still endures.

My old house was sold to friends of my Mom's back in 1996. I visited it a few years back and, while the upstairs is exactly as I remember it, the downstairs is completely different, with walls removed and air conditioning added (we didn't have that when I lived there). WHat onbce seemed like a huge backyard now looks rather small.

When I left to join the Navy in 1981, I always assumed that, one day, I'd go back to Long Island and to Hauppauge to live. But it's nothing like it was, and it's nothing that I like. My hometown is gone. Most of my childhood friends are either dead or moved on. I've no real compelling reason to return...

Last edited:
You want riots? Have you ever been in a riot with a violent mob?
I saw enough of them on the tube from you heathens in 2020 with your Floyd bullshit

You think I'd be stupid enough to be near or involved in a riot.......lololol

I live in an area where everyone walks on 2 legs. Not some shit hole with 4 legged critters running around everywhere

You wanted the riots of 2020. Now I cheer them on with ya Skippy

I saw enough of them on the tube from you heathens in 2020 with your Floyd bullshit

You think I'd be stupid enough to be near or involved in a riot.......lololol

I live in an area where everyone walks on 2 legs. Not some shit hole with 4 legged critters running around everywhere

You wanted the riots of 2020. Now I cheer them on with ya Skippy
I am not a supporter of Floyd. I was in in a Shia riot years ago and it was dangerous and terrifying. I have no use for violence or vigilantes.

I grew up in the once small town of Hauppauge, New York. Hauppauge is out on Long Island in Suffolk County. It wasn't a small town by midwest standards, but certainly by New York standards.

The house I grew up in was built in 1837. The house was converted to gas heat sometime back in the 1930's. We had only a bathtub until 1976, when Dad had a shower put in. There was only one bathroom until my step-dad did an addition to the house in 1990.

Finding Revolutionary War relics was common, both in my backyard and the surrounding area, and the church down the street from the house, where my Mom and step-dad got married, still has British bullet holes in it.

We had a movie theater where a Saturday movie, a candy bar and popcorn could run you buck. It had only one screen, and showed only one movie for an entire week. I saw both "Jaws" and "Star Wars" in that theater. I saw "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" there over 200 times. The local volunteer fire department, of which my brother, my dad and my step-dad were all members, used to take part in the annual Memorial Day parade over in Smithtown. I marched in it one year when I was in Boy Scouts.

Every 4th of July they'd do a big fireworks show over on the football field at the middle school. We used to climb to the top of one of the ball field backstops for a better view. In the 70's we used to go back into "the woods" to smoke pot and drink really cheap beer around a bonfire at a place called "The Shrine", which is where another old church once stood. No one remembers when it got that name.

We'd go to the roller rink every Friday night to try to pick up girls who might be from other towns and we were miserable failures at it. Our phone numbers were a combination of letters and numbers. I remember my seven digit phone number started with "AN5".

Every Memorial Day and 4th of July we'd have a big block barbeque. The neighbors always hosted it, and everyone would show up except this one family, the Caggiano's, which (allegedly) had mob ties. They were always invited, though.

On summer nights we'd walk down the street to the local Carvel for chocolate cones with chocolate sprinkles.

I go back now and I don't recognize the place. The movie theater is a bank. The backstops were taken away when the baseball fields were paved over. "The Shrine" was bulldozed, along with the surrounding woods, and condos were put up in their stead. There's a strip mall where the roller rink once stood, but that old church down the road from the house still endures.

My old house was sold to friends of my Mom's back in 1996. I visited it a few years back and, while the upstairs is exactly as I remember it, the downstairs is completely different, with walls removed and air conditioning added (we didn't have that when I lived there). WHat onbce seemed like a huge backyard now looks rather small.

When I left to join the Navy in 1981, I always assumed that, one day, I'd go back to Long Island and to Hauppauge to live. But it's nothing like it was, and it's nothing that I like. My hometown is gone. Most of my childhood friends are either dead or moved on. I've no real compelling reason to return...
I forgot about this thread. It was better then. The little city had a half dozen industries that offered lifetime, dignified employment. Things were made here then before outsourcing and globalization. We have been condemned to the serfdom of elitist leadership that has sold us out. This is not going to end well.

I forgot about this thread. It was better then. The little city had a half dozen industries that offered lifetime, dignified employment. Things were made here then before outsourcing and globalization. We have been condemned to the serfdom of elitist leadership that has sold us out. This is not going to end well.
But those wealthy people are better than you or me because they made all the right moves in life to be more successful than you or me.

But those wealthy people are better than you or me because they made all the right moves in life to be more successful than you or me.
06bc4e373aaa6aead9de9b1aa5be5a24.gif

Wow.
Change a few facts and that is exactly my experience with my hometown. Glad to know I'm not alone.
Or maybe not "glad", maybe just a little less sad.

Forum List

Back