My atheist sister told me she's not celebrating Christmas this year...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...she said that if I buy her a present, she will donate it away.

Question for atheists: Do you consider this an acceptable way to treat your relatives?

Question for atheists: Do you consider this an acceptable way to treat your relatives?

let answer with a question and do you believe you should override her wish not to have a present?

Christmas is not supposed to be about gifts but the time we spend with each other and you can dedicate a dish too her and say that is her gift and then she can not donate it...

I'm not an atheist for the trap, but... Do her a favor and don't give her one. Simple solution.

My sister is strident about her atheism and goes out of her way to upset people in the family, especially my father.

I already bought the present, and if she won't take it gracefully I will give it to someone else.

I'm not an atheist but buying an athiest a Christmas present is insulting. Don't do it.

I'm not insulted by it... I celebrate the holiday because my wife and kids do and I am in no way insulted. I do continue to try to convince them we should celebrate it after the day, when the sales have all kicked in...

I guess that makes me a cheap atheist...

I'm not an atheist but buying an athiest a Christmas present is insulting. Don't do it.

I'm not insulted by it... I celebrate the holiday because my wife and kids do and I am in no way insulted. I do continue to try to convince them we should celebrate it after the day, when the sales have all kicked in...

I do the same and the idea is shot down every time.

Jesus never did put a present under the tree he was a Jew...
But the Wise Men brought gifts to the baby Jesus. Jesus was a Jew. Why? Why was Jesus a Jew and not a Christian? There were no Christians until after Jesus died.
But Christ had to be a Christian and a Jew it's the duality of the whole concept of Christ being Father in Heaven at the same time.

If you are an atheist that CHOOSES to celebrate Christmas you are miles different from an atheist that CHOOSES not to celebrate the holiday and courteously asks the decision be respected.

Not if they want to remain in regular communications and the such.

But then again, if she had converted to Judaism or Islam would you give them a Christmas gift?

Good question.

I've been an atheist since 1983.

I still visit with family every Christmas and still buy presents for all my nieces and nephews..

Christmas means a chance to get together with family.

What's the relative's favorite charity? Make a donation in your relative's name.

The local Veterinarian has a Giving Tree. Every year I buy paper ornaments in the names of my beloved fur babies that have gone on and hang them on the tree. I don't know if my babies were atheists. I know that they were loved. I give in their name.

Forum List

Back