Mushrooms now have 23,000 genders.

Should people who misgender mushrooms be charged with a hate crime?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I just spit coffee out of my nose.

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
If we're going to get into any kind of serious discussion about fungi, we need to start by pointing out that a mushroom is not the main part of the organism that it represents.

The main body of a multicellular fungus consists of a network of filaments, permeating whatever medium in which it is growing.

The mushroom is just a spore-bearing structure, that the fungus produces when it is ready to send out spores to reproduce.

The same is true of the parts that you see of most molds. This should give you some comfort to know, that when food that you were thinking of eating is found to have gone “moldy”, that the fungus was there, in that food, long before you could see any sign of it.

The image below was taken using the 5× objective and 15× ocular on my microscope. The numbered scale that you see is built into my 15× eyepiece, and when it is used with the 5× objective, the distance from one numbered tick to the next so 230 microns, or roughly ¼ of a millimeter. The whole field of view, here, has a diameter of roughly 1¾ millimeters. This was of a mold that I was growing in a petri dish. This is from well before the mold would have produced any of the spore-bearing structures that a casual observer would recognize as “mold”.

If you were eating some item of food that was infested with this mold, at this stage, you probably wouldn't notice it unless it affected how the food tastes.

20100916_011605_FungusFromGuano.jpg

Last edited:
Anyway, from my college botany classes, from almost forty years ago, I remember some coverage of “quasi-sexual” mating in fungi. Alas, there was more complexity to it than I was fully able to absorb and understand back then, much less remember, now, decades later; but the important point that I remember is that some fungi have a process that serves the same purpose as sexual mating in other life forms, of recombining DNA from one organism to another in order to create genetic diversity, but which is so significantly different that it's not really considered to be the same thing.

Next time your grocery shopping, or making a salad, be aware of what gender the mushrooms are identifying as for the day. It’s time to take the WOKE crowd seriously.

I watched the video, only after my last two posts. It appears to be entirely of humorous intent, and not any scientific intent. If taken at all scientifically, it is complete bullshit.

For one thing, mushroom are not plants. Fungi are not plants. They're a completely separate kingdom, from plants or animals, and, in fact, are more closely related to animals than to plants.

Whatever number of quasi-sexes/genders a fungus may have, and how this affects the efforts and results of one fungus trying to quasi-mate with another, surely mushrooms themselves are sexless/quasi-sexless. This reminds me of a bullshit meme that was going around, a while back, about bell peppers, claiming that there are male peppers, and female peppers, with different characteristics, and that you can tell the difference between male and female peppers by how many lobes they have. It was bullshit, in exactly the same way that any discussion of what quasi-sex a mushroom in is almost certainly bullshit.

I watched the video, only after my last two posts. It appears to be entirely of humorous intent, and not any scientific intent. If taken at all scientifically, it is complete bullshit.

For one thing, mushroom are not plants. Fungi are not plants. They're a completely separate kingdom, from plants or animals, and, in fact, are more closely related to animals than to plants.

Whatever number of quasi-sexes/genders a fungus may have, and how this affects the efforts and results of one fungus trying to quasi-mate with another, surely mushrooms themselves are sexless/quasi-sexless. This reminds me of a bullshit meme that was going around, a while back, about bell peppers, claiming that there are male peppers, and female peppers, with different characteristics, and that you can tell the difference between male and female peppers by how many lobes they have. It was bullshit, in exactly the same way that any discussion of what quasi-sex a mushroom in is almost certainly bullshit.

Forum List

Back