MSM and Rightwing Media and Leftwing Media

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
This is a split from another thread...so as not to derail that thread, but makes for an interesting topic so I thought I would throw it into the ring.

There is no such thing as MSM anymore.

Or...to be more specific there is no such thing as MSM in the way that the rightwing wants to claim.

All media is equal today - from the crappiest blog propaganda sites to well researched journalistic sites. They are all equally accessable (but NOT equally accountable).

The average person gets his news now from where? How many news sources are available at the click of a mouse? The only thing MSM means now...is "traditional" in a media sea.

Our media problems extend far beyond Left/Right.

The majority of out "traditional media" is owned by 5 corporations. Fox is one of the Top Five. That is a very very few owning a lot of our sources for information. When you go outside the "traditional media"...you run into accountability problems. There is no accountability for facts, they can't be sued or held to account. Bloggers, independents - they aren't held to any standard. Traditional media is - because people pay for it and they get pissed. They can also sue.

When the majority of our accountable media is in the hands of FIVE...and the rest runs the gamut from good to crap, with no accountability, we are in a bit of trouble.

We actually should be very worried about this.

This is a split from another thread...so as not to derail that thread, but makes for an interesting topic so I thought I would throw it into the ring.

Or...to be more specific there is no such thing as MSM in the way that the rightwing wants to claim.

All media is equal today - from the crappiest blog propaganda sites to well researched journalistic sites. They are all equally accessable (but NOT equally accountable).

The average person gets his news now from where? How many news sources are available at the click of a mouse? The only thing MSM means now...is "traditional" in a media sea.

The majority of out "traditional media" is owned by 5 corporations. Fox is one of the Top Five. That is a very very few owning a lot of our sources for information. When you go outside the "traditional media"...you run into accountability problems. There is no accountability for facts, they can't be sued or held to account. Bloggers, independents - they aren't held to any standard. Traditional media is - because people pay for it and they get pissed. They can also sue.

When the majority of our accountable media is in the hands of FIVE...and the rest runs the gamut from good to crap, with no accountability, we are in a bit of trouble.

exactly what are the claims of the "rightwing" about the MSM???

That it controls most of the media and it is all leftwing.

That it controls most of the media and it is all leftwing.
well most of them are left wing,,,thats a well proven fact,,even fox is leftwing,,just not as much as CNN or MSNBC

I disagree, respectfully. It all boils down to numbers really.

Liberal media: ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, WaPo, NYT

Conservative media: Fox News

You have all those outlets driving the narrative while they are supposed to be delivering straight and accurate news, which means that the claim "there is no such thing as MSM anymore" is on its face wrong.

I don't believe limited corporate ownership of the 5 major news networks is the core problem with our so called "Media". It is the fact that all American Media has shifted from independent news reporting to partisan political support. That is bad enough, but the partisanship is over 90% slanted Democrat and specifically anti-Trump. No American President not even Nixon had to fight the constant attacks from what is supposed to be news organizations. And yes we should all be very worried about this.

I disagree, respectfully. It all boils down to numbers really.

Liberal media: ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, WaPo, NYT

Conservative media: Fox News

You have all those outlets driving the narrative while they are supposed to be delivering straight and accurate news, which means that the claim "there is no such thing as MSM anymore" is on its face wrong.

How do you calculate "numbers" exactly. Doesn't FOX brag about having the largest ever audience?

On top of that, what you able "liberal media" isn't necessarily so. There is a lot more media out there than what you list and it all has an audience. Just look at what people here use for their sources. How often is it "MSM"?

allsidesmediabiaschart-version1.1_0.jpg

I don't believe limited corporate ownership of the 5 major news networks is the core problem with our so called "Media". It is the fact that all American Media has shifted from independent news reporting to partisan political support. That is bad enough, but the partisanship is over 90% slanted Democrat and specifically anti-Trump. No American President not even Nixon had to fight the constant attacks from what is supposed to be news organizations. And yes we should all be very worried about this.

I disagree about that. I can find sources that are 100% pro-Trump easily. No American president has CAUSED so many attacks through his own behavior. Media might not be perfect, but hell - we've never had a president behave like that.

I think the consolidation is dangerous though.

I agree. There is a choke hold on information both with the 5 corporations, but social media giants have an even bigger choke hold. Twitter, facebook, and Google and Yahoo are all hard left and most Americans now get their information from those platforms. They all have way too much power.

I agree. There is a choke hold on information both with the 5 corporations, but social media giants have an even bigger choke hold. Twitter, facebook, and Google and Yahoo are all hard left and most Americans now get their information from those platforms. They all have way too much power.

I disagree they are hard left, they are corporatists and do whatever is necessary to earn profits for their shareholders. I do agree they have way to much power.

It seems anti-trust laws are no longer enforced.

That far too many people get their ‘news’ from unreliable sources is the fault of those individuals, not ‘the media’ – that should be the worry.

There are ample sources of accurate, unbiased news – the AP, Reuters, and the BBC to name a few.

As for the majority of our accountable media is in the hands of five corporate entities, what do you propose be done?

That far too many people get their ‘news’ from unreliable sources is the fault of those individuals, not ‘the media’ – that should be the worry.

There are ample sources of accurate, unbiased news – the AP, Reuters, and the BBC to name a few.

As for the majority of our accountable media is in the hands of five corporate entities, what do you propose be done?
Your definition of "reliable" is that which is related to the interlocking directorate, and then. . . you go on to complain about the majority of entities being in the hands of conglomerates.

If they weren't in the hands of conglomerates, you would not deem them "reliable."

You have a real problem there buddy. :heehee:

And the choke hold all belongs to the Political Left.

The Left has a lot to answer for!

Sad but true.

No American President not even Nixon had to fight the constant attacks from what is supposed to be news organizations.

Reagan got piled on constantly...It's just that the "news" organizations were more subtle about things 40 years ago.

I disagree they are hard left, they are corporatists and do whatever is necessary to earn profits for their shareholders. I do agree they have way to much power.

It seems anti-trust laws are no longer enforced.

AP and Reuters are a joke. They are incredibly biased. The Hill and WSJ, and the National Review are about the only middle of the road out there. The rest is garbage.

Yes, but that's not new, not any more.

Part of the problem of that is not only does a small clique of megacorps control the dialogue but they do it in self-feeding ways. If you have a TV channel, and you also have a movie company, and you also have a book publisher, and newspapers/magazines, then you send your latest author out to your own TV stations to do interviews, splash them at the same time in your magazines, then make a movie out of it which you splash back on your TV stations and your billboards --- and you're effectively dictating what the public gets exposed to. Including every little nuance of whatever social control you want to engineer into it.

Preach!

Hell of a lot of drones (I heard 50% but that's kind of unbelievable) say they get their "news" from freaking Tweeter and Fecesbook, which if true can only be attributed to a complete failure of critical thought.

Preach!

Hell of a lot of drones (I heard 50% but that's kind of unbelievable) say they get their "news" from freaking Tweeter and Fecesbook, which if true can only be attributed to a complete failure of critical thought.

The last election cycle I saw a study that said the majority of Americans get their news from Facebook.

I think that is the very definition of the dumbing down of America.

Forum List

Back