Most over-rated college football coaches, according to other football coaches

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
3 college football writers talked to 20% of the head coaches at FBS college football programs. The interviews/polls were done with the promise of anonymity.

They were asked who the most over-rated head coaches are.

Jim Harbaugh came in first with 14% of the votes.
There was a 3 way tie for second between Lane Kiffin, Lovey Smith, and (are you ready for this?) Nick Saban each getting 9% of the votes.

Nick Saban is over-rated? In what alternate universe?

3 college football writers talked to 20% of the head coaches at FBS college football programs. The interviews/polls were done with the promise of anonymity.

There was a 3 way tie for second between Lane Kiffin, Lovey Smith, and (are you ready for this?) Nick Saban each getting 9% of the votes.

I read that yesterday. Today, players and other coaches are calling "Bullshit" on the poll. The majority say that Saban is the best of all time, bar none. Saban is the best that I've seen, and I'm 70 years old. I've been a college football fan all of my life. I've been an Alabama fan all of my life.

ROLL TIDE

I read that yesterday. Today, players and other coaches are calling "Bullshit" on the poll. The majority say that Saban is the best of all time, bar none. Saban is the best that I've seen, and I'm 70 years old. I've been a college football fan all of my life. I've been an Alabama fan all of my life.

ROLL TIDE

What Saban has done at Alabama is nothing short of amazing.

I read an article that put it into perspective. from: AL.com All-Access: Nick Saban overrated? LOL

"From 1983-2006, Alabama had six head football coaches over 24 seasons, not counting Mike Price. Those coaches combined to win three SEC championships and one national title.

Alabama has had one head coach the last 10 years. Saban has won five SEC championships with the Crimson Tide and four national titles.

Same school. Same rabid fan base. Same passion for football. Vastly different results.

The program's not the same for one primary reason. The coach isn't the same."

ROLL TIDE

What Saban has done at Alabama is nothing short of amazing.

I read an article that put it into perspective. from: AL.com All-Access: Nick Saban overrated? LOL

"From 1983-2006, Alabama had six head football coaches over 24 seasons, not counting Mike Price. Those coaches combined to win three SEC championships and one national title.

Alabama has had one head coach the last 10 years. Saban has won five SEC championships with the Crimson Tide and four national titles.

Same school. Same rabid fan base. Same passion for football. Vastly different results.

The program's not the same for one primary reason. The coach isn't the same."
I totally agree.

National Champs this year.

ROLL TIDE

The most overrated of all time had to be Dennis Erickson. He inherited a great program at WSU and ruined it and went on to FSU and ruined it before going to the pros and showing his entire career was crap.

I'd take Sabin back at LSU, although I like the new guy, too.

Lane Kiffin is OVER rated? I thought most people considered him an idiot.

As far as coaching is concerned, however, are we talking X's and 0's or recruiting and the whole package? Saban strikes me as a master of assembling talent, so perhaps he is being considered overrated as far as a strategist. You can't argue with his success, that's for sure.

LSU is a great school, great football team, but they've had poor coaching for many years. They've had some of the best players in the country, and did a very poor job developing them. I have no faith in coach O.

LSU will probably win 8 or 9 games this year.

LSU is a great school, great football team, but they've had poor coaching for many years. They've had some of the best players in the country, and did a very poor job developing them. I have no faith in coach O.

Damn you are being kind! 6 games.

Lane Kiffin is OVER rated? I thought most people considered him an idiot.

As far as coaching is concerned, however, are we talking X's and 0's or recruiting and the whole package? Saban strikes me as a master of assembling talent, so perhaps he is being considered overrated as far as a strategist. You can't argue with his success, that's for sure.
Lane will make a name for himself one day. He's in a perfect situation to grow as a coach.

Damn you are being kind! 6 games.
You could be right. They do have one of the best running backs in the country. They need a quarterback.

We're riding on our rep currently IMO.

I have been a Crimson Tide fans since I was a kid in the 1960s. I lived about 8 or 9 blocks from campus. We would ride our bikes over to watch practice when Bear was in his tower.

Bear & Stabler were a great combination. So were Bear & Namath. So was Bear and so many people.

Saban has been remarkable, not just for his winning record & titles. He pushes academics. The Alabama football program has a higher graduation rate than the national average for all students, not just athletes.

We're riding on our rep currently IMO.
I agree to an extent. But, they are loaded with talent. They need a good quarterback. They have one of the best running backs in the country.

Forum List

Back