Coach Saban calls 2021 a rebuilding year. And people lose their minds.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Coach Nick Saban made the comment last week that he thought 2021 was a rebuilding year. People have lost their minds over this. Not serious sports people, but plenty of the amateurish people in the college football world.

After all, going 13-2, winning the SEC West, winning the SEC, winning their first round game in the college football playoffs, and playing Georgia down to the 4th quarter in the national championship game is hardly what most teams call a rebuilding year.

But it was most certainly a rebuilding year. It is simply that Nick Saban has created such a juggernaut of a program that "rebuilding" means something different.

But consider what was lost after the 2020 season.
10 players were drafted by the NFL, including 6 first round picks.
The best QB Alabama has had (and that is saying something) was drafted.
A record breaking RB was drafted.
A first round pick of one of the best O-linemen was drafted.
2 of the best WRs were drafted and in the first round.

The best OC that Saban has had, Steve Sarkisian, left to become the head coach at one of the most prestigious programs in the country.

Also, of those players that were drafted, not one, not two but THREE of them were in the top 10 vote getters for the Heisman Trophy.

The Heisman Trophy winner, Devonta Smith, was virtually unstoppable.

The 2020 season was magical, for sure. We dominated like no one has in quite a while. But you cannot lose that much talent (players and coaches) and not have a rebuilding year.

The fact that Bama lost so much talent and still played for the Natty is another sign Nick Saban is the greatest college football coach in the history of the game.

As long as they have a good football team the endless grind of life in Alabama does not seem so bad.

The fact that Bama lost so much talent and still played for the Natty is another sign Nick Saban is the greatest college football coach in the history of the game.
I agree, he is the GOAT head college football coach.... Damn that Nick Saban.

Coach Nick Saban made the comment last week that he thought 2021 was a rebuilding year. People have lost their minds over this. Not serious sports people, but plenty of the amateurish people in the college football world.

After all, going 13-2, winning the SEC West, winning the SEC, winning their first round game in the college football playoffs, and playing Georgia down to the 4th quarter in the national championship game is hardly what most teams call a rebuilding year.

But it was most certainly a rebuilding year. It is simply that Nick Saban has created such a juggernaut of a program that "rebuilding" means something different.

The best OC that Saban has had, Steve Sarkisian, left to become the head coach at one of the most prestigious programs in the country.

Also, of those players that were drafted, not one, not two but THREE of them were in the top 10 vote getters for the Heisman Trophy.

The 2020 season was magical, for sure. We dominated like no one has in quite a while. But you cannot lose that much talent (players and coaches) and not have a rebuilding year.

That's the point. Saban had what for most programs would be their crowning achievement so to call a #2 finish a "rebuilding year" is somewhat condescending.
But yes, he is the best college coach ever.

That's the point. Saban had what for most programs would be their crowning achievement so to call a #2 finish a "rebuilding year" is somewhat condescending.
But yes, he is the best college coach ever.

I don't think it was condescending. I think the 2021 team overachieved.

He sure got poo-pooed for losing to the Bulldogs. That's how it goes. No matter what a coach does.
He did a good job.

Do you live in Alabama?
No but I was born and raised there during the Bear Bryant years. It's absolutely crucial to their mental well being that Alabama football dominates. You probably think I'm joking.

No but I was born and raised there during the Bear Bryant years. It's absolutely crucial to their mental well being that Alabama football dominates. You probably think I'm joking.
Yes, they do take pride in the Crimson Tide

Its the primary reason they are better then other schools

And I am not a Tide fan

I just respect what they have accomplished

He sure got poo-pooed for losing to the Bulldogs. That's how it goes. No matter what a coach does.
He did a good job.

I was actually surprised that Bama beat Georgia in the SEC Championship. The Dawgs defense was excellent! But the moved away from what got them there. They went back to that strategy for the championship game and it worked.

Oh, and everyone should be ready for the Crimson Tide to win another Natty this year. The team is better than ever, and the defense will be a brick wall.

I would agree with most of this other than the QB part. Alabama isnt known for it's QB's and Jones isnt very good.

I would agree with most of this other than the QB part. Alabama isnt known for it's QB's and Jones isnt very good.

Our last 3 starting QBs are playing in the NFL. Granted, until these 3 (and AJ McCarron), Alabama hadn't had a QB drafted and used in the NFL since Richard Todd. And no good one since the likes of Ken Stabler, Joe Namath and Bart Starr played.

As for Mac Jones, in his rookie season he passed for 3,800 yards with a 67% completion rate. He had 22 touchdowns against 13 interceptions.

In their rookie seasons, Mac out performed Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson. And he is getting better.

Our last 3 starting QBs are playing in the NFL. Granted, until these 3 (and AJ McCarron), Alabama hadn't had a QB drafted and used in the NFL since Richard Todd. And no good one since the likes of Ken Stabler, Joe Namath and Bart Starr played.

As for Mac Jones, in his rookie season he passed for 3,800 yards with a 67% completion rate. He had 22 touchdowns against 13 interceptions.

In their rookie seasons, Mac out performed Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson. And he is getting better.
Mac Jones went to the best possible situation, unlike Lawrence who went to the worst possible one. He's just not that good. What you see now is likely about as good as you will ever see out of Jones.

Tua will be a career back up

Of the 3 Jalen Hurts probably has the highest ceiling, but it remains to be seen if he is a franchise QB.

And Wilson plays for the Jets... That's all that really needs to be said isnt it?

Forum List

Back