More quakes rattle Oklahoma but state avoids tough measures

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) —In Oklahoma, now the country's earthquake capital, people are talking nervously about the big one as man-made quakes get stronger, more frequent and closer to major population centers. Next door in Kansas, they're feeling on firmer ground though no one is ready yet to declare victory.

A year ago, the states had a common problem - earthquakes caused by the disposal of wastewater from oil and gas exploration. They chose different solutions. Kansas, following early scientific studies, decided to restrict how much and how fast the wastewater could be pumped back underground. Oklahoma instead initially concentrated on the depth of the wastewater injections.

Developments since then haven't been reassuring in Oklahoma, where a quake knocked out power in parts of an Oklahoma City suburb several weeks ago and where fears are growing that the worst is yet to come. On Friday, about 200 unhappy residents packed a forum at the state capitol convened by critics of the state's response. A governor's task force is studying the problem but officials have so far avoided taking tougher measures.

The quakes, which have been mostly small to medium sized, have caused limited damage, and no one foresees anything like the massive damage and deaths in the famous quakes in California, seismologists say.

.....The past few weeks have been especially nerve-wracking.

Eighty-eight quakes of 2.7 or stronger occurred this January as of Monday at noon central time, more than in all of 2012. The recent quakes have generally been more powerful, too, with eight of magnitude 4 or higher.

"What concerns me is what is happening to our homes through all these earthquakes," said Mary Beth McFadden of Fairview, a town about 100 miles northwest of Oklahoma City that has had six quakes of magnitude 4 since the start of the year. "It's your home being put in that position that you have no control over."

Last week, the state told companies to reduce wastewater injections at 27 nearby disposal wells.

A lot of people say we just need the earth to stop shaking, and I understand that, but the fact of the matter is that without the ability to dispose of wastewater, we cannot produce oil and gas in the state of Oklahoma, and this is our lifeblood," said Kim Hatfield, president of Oklahoma City-based Crawley Petroleum and a member of Gov. Mary Fallin's task force studying the earthquake problem.

Mayhap, Ms. Hatfield can pay for the houses?

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) —In Oklahoma, now the country's earthquake capital, people are talking nervously about the big one as man-made quakes get stronger, more frequent and closer to major population centers. Next door in Kansas, they're feeling on firmer ground though no one is ready yet to declare victory.

A year ago, the states had a common problem - earthquakes caused by the disposal of wastewater from oil and gas exploration. They chose different solutions. Kansas, following early scientific studies, decided to restrict how much and how fast the wastewater could be pumped back underground. Oklahoma instead initially concentrated on the depth of the wastewater injections.

Developments since then haven't been reassuring in Oklahoma, where a quake knocked out power in parts of an Oklahoma City suburb several weeks ago and where fears are growing that the worst is yet to come. On Friday, about 200 unhappy residents packed a forum at the state capitol convened by critics of the state's response. A governor's task force is studying the problem but officials have so far avoided taking tougher measures.

The quakes, which have been mostly small to medium sized, have caused limited damage, and no one foresees anything like the massive damage and deaths in the famous quakes in California, seismologists say.

Eighty-eight quakes of 2.7 or stronger occurred this January as of Monday at noon central time, more than in all of 2012. The recent quakes have generally been more powerful, too, with eight of magnitude 4 or higher.

"What concerns me is what is happening to our homes through all these earthquakes," said Mary Beth McFadden of Fairview, a town about 100 miles northwest of Oklahoma City that has had six quakes of magnitude 4 since the start of the year. "It's your home being put in that position that you have no control over."

Last week, the state told companies to reduce wastewater injections at 27 nearby disposal wells.

A lot of people say we just need the earth to stop shaking, and I understand that, but the fact of the matter is that without the ability to dispose of wastewater, we cannot produce oil and gas in the state of Oklahoma, and this is our lifeblood," said Kim Hatfield, president of Oklahoma City-based Crawley Petroleum and a member of Gov. Mary Fallin's task force studying the earthquake problem.

Is your biggest earthquake still that San Francisco one, in, was it 1910 or something?

I must say, earthquakes are something disturbingly fascinating, that here in Europa thankfully we avoid.

Is your biggest earthquake still that San Francisco one, in, was it 1910 or something?

I must say, earthquakes are something disturbingly fascinating, that here in Europa thankfully we avoid.
they aren't felt in OK either.

anything below a 3.5 can't be felt by people and damn few, if any animals.

fracking requires explosions, leftist liars call the shock wave from the explosion "earth quakes". It's utter nonsense

fracking requires explosions, leftist liars call the shock wave from the explosion "earth quakes". It's utter nonsense

No, it does not.

2.7 can't be felt.

the whole earthquack fearmonger story falls flat as soon as the facts are brought out.
Edmond residents file earthquake lawsuit against 12 oil companies

This is following the above. Did you miss this event?
don't know what to tell you, anything under 3.5 can't be felt and you listed quakes under 3.

leftist sue for money, people sue to make money for nothing.

There's a lawyer in NYC that sues nightclubs for not having more womens bathrooms than mens.

2.7 can't be felt.

the whole earthquack fearmonger story falls flat as soon as the facts are brought out.

don't know what to tell you, anything under 3.5 can't be felt and you listed quakes under 3.

There's a lawyer in NYC that sues nightclubs for not having more womens bathrooms than mens.

It's coming. Hope you're ready.

No, it does not.
really fine line your cutting.

it doesn't use explosives, but it does use high pressure to break rocks.

I saw ok newscasters when a quake hit live on air.

Isn't it true that quakes have skyrocketd since Fracking started ?

2.7 can't be felt.

what's coming?

a world ending death by fracking?

YUP.

All they needs do is pass a law against earthquakes. Better yet, have the governor issue an executive order prohibiting them.

Isn't that the politically correct liberal solution to everything?

I live in PA, surrounded by frack fields and there hasn't been a one.

just leftist fearmongers that hate an industry so much that they will lie and lie and lie and cause people their jobs and homes.

2.7 can't be felt.

what's coming?

Those lawsuits. I'm thinking you might want to move your money.

just leftist fearmongers that hate an industry so much that they will lie and lie and lie and cause people their jobs and homes.

What is the difference between what Kansas is doing and Oklahoma is doing?

2.7 can't be felt.

what's coming?

Those lawsuits. I'm thinking you might want to move your money.
So you think lies will pass the courts?

All a lawyer has to do is present the facts to a judge and then present his counter suit of harassment.

Fracking is basically the same everywhere, but I don't live in Kansas, so I have no idea.

Fracking is basically the same everywhere, but I don't live in Kansas, so I have no idea.

It was in the article. Mayhap had you read the article then you would know the difference instead of running your mouth about lying and shit.

Forum List

Back