More Charter Schools

liberalogic

Jan 15, 2006
NJ
At first glance, I was mistakenly opposed to charter schools because whenever I hear the word "privatization," I cringe. But recently, NYC has been introducing more of these schools with strong results. Basically, these schools are perfect: tax-funded (which means no tuition like a public school), but outside the reach of the Teacher's Union. This means no tenure, along with the other absurdities that unions negotiate. Will there be a push for more of these all around the country? And if so, can we somehow get rid of or weaken the power of the Union if we no longer depend on public schools?

liberalogic said:
At first glance, I was mistakenly opposed to charter schools because whenever I hear the word "privatization," I cringe. But recently, NYC has been introducing more of these schools with strong results. Basically, these schools are perfect: tax-funded (which means no tuition like a public school), but outside the reach of the Teacher's Union. This means no tenure, along with the other absurdities that unions negotiate. Will there be a push for more of these all around the country? And if so, can we somehow get rid of or weaken the power of the Union if we no longer depend on public schools?

I think that is what I was discussing with you over a month ago? The unions are fighting this tooth and nail. It's already spreading across the country, at least in the big cities, where the need is most acute.

Right behind the cities are the rural areas, what would work there?

Kathianne said:
I think that is what I was discussing with you over a month ago? The unions are fighting this tooth and nail. It's already spreading across the country, at least in the big cities, where the need is most acute.

Right behind the cities are the rural areas, what would work there?

I owe you an apology. It was actually a few months ago that we argued this point and I blindly kept supporting public schools because I immediately assumed that tuition would be required of a charter school. So I'm really sorry because you were 100% correct. If we had no Unions, it would be a different story, but at this point, charter schools are the only plausible resolution to the problem.

If we continue to expand charter schools, we can then begin to hire non-union teachers to work there. So instead of spending money to replace public school teachers after retirement, we can begin to channel that money to more productive places. Since we can't fire the ps teachers, I guess we can only wait them out until they retire.

The charter school here (which is focused on math and science) is being criticized because it administers an admissions test. The test is to make sure that students can keep up with the work.

Is this typical of charter schools? Do most cities have general charters with no admission requirements, specialized ones with admission requirements, or both?

Forum List

Back