MIT "Living Wage" calculator, how accurate for you area?

No it isn't.
A company that doesn´t want slaves but healthy and efficient employees that show up in time each morning pays even more.
Maybe you forgot what made the US so strong. It is the higher wages. People who earn more will spend more and thus make the economy grow.
Higher wages are a real win-win situation in general.
What you have in mind is a country like Colombia or even the Confederate States.

A company that doesn´t want slaves but healthy and efficient employees that show up in time each morning pays even more.
Maybe you forgot what made the US so strong. It is the higher wages. People who earn more will spend more and thus make the economy grow.
Higher wages are a real win-win situation in general.
What you have in mind is a country like Colombia or even the Confederate States.

Perhaps if dems hadn't raised taxes to the point where both the Father and Mother have too work to make ends meet?
It used to only take one income.

There seems to be a perception on the Left (where few have ever been gainfully employed in the private sector) that one's income level is akin to a "caste" as used to exist in India; in other words, you are stuck with it. But among normal people, a wage or income level is a snapshot at a single moment in time, which picture will generally rise as the individual or household reaches economic maturity.

I personally have existed in all five income "Quintiles" during the course of my working life, and have had, as an adult, a financial net worth that ranged from below zero to well-into seven figures.

I can't even imagine how they arrived at a living wage anywhere. The cost of housing alone is often insane.

That chart is SOOOOOOOOOOO OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY!!!!!
Living Wage Calculator

Please keep in mind....It's not up to companies to pay you what you need. It's up to you to earn what you want.

I'd say for my AO it's not too far off the mark but a bit on the low side as far as housing/food goes.

It is up to COMPANIES TO PAY ACCORDING TO THE SKILL AND WORK INVOLVED!!
WHICH THEY DO NOT DO, AND HAVEN'T DONE SINCE THE EARLY 80's!!!!

Actually, it's totally not.

It's up to companies to pay you for whatever value you bring to them.

Why on earth would a company pay you more than the worth of the services you give them?
If that value isn´t enough to make a living, the whole system is flawed. In the darkest times of medieval Europe, even the poorest peasant could nourish his wife and kids.

If that value isn´t enough to make a living, the whole system is flawed.

If your skills aren't worth enough to make a living ... your choice of education is flawed.

You don't have to change the system. Just get better skills or re-think what you need to make a living.

If you're carrying around the latest iPhone, sporting thousands of dollars in tattoos, drinking, smoking, and doing drugs ... and still complaining that you can't make a living ... well, you need to examine your life.

If your skills aren't worth enough to make a living ... your choice of education is flawed.

You don't have to change the system. Just get better skills or re-think what you need to make a living.

If you're carrying around the latest iPhone, sporting thousands of dollars in tattoos, drinking, smoking, and doing drugs ... and still complaining that you can't make a living ... well, you need to examine your life.
There will always be the ones doing the lower jobs. They are as important as the better jobs are.
Of course, what you do with your money, is up to you. But everyone must have enough of it.

Forum List

Back