Mistrial Request...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
So, the defense has requested a mistrial over the fact that they were not privy to the same video information that the prosecution.

The way the argument for requesting the mistrial was presented, I would have to agree. The mistrial would be without prejudice, so the state can (and would) have another go at it.

The downside for Rittenhouse with that is that the prosecution can avoid the mistakes they made the first time around.

This is all academic, apparently, if the jury doesn't request to see the video again...

So, the defense has requested a mistrial over the fact that they were not privy to the same video information that the prosecution.

The way the argument for requesting the mistrial was presented, I would have to agree. The mistrial would be without prejudice, so the state can (and would) have another go at it.

The downside for Rittenhouse with that is that the prosecution can avoid the mistakes they made the first time around.

This is all academic, apparently, if the jury doesn't request to see the video again...

My understanding is the defense team seeks mistrial whether or not the jury asks to review question number five's video evidence. I must agree. However, wouldn't a mistrial also give the defense council similar time to catch their breath and get it's shit together? I had hoped they would ask for mistrial with prejudice.

Not really.....the prosecution is based on lies.
They claimed several things that were never introduced as evidence.
They wanted the jury to make false assumptions based on lies during the prosecution's opening and closing statements.

My understanding is the defense team seeks mistrial whether or not the jury asks to review question number five's video evidence. I must agree. However, wouldn't a mistrial also give the defense council similar time to catch their breath and get it's shit together? I had hoped they would ask for mistrial with prejudice.
I imagine the judge could rule the prejudice.

Not really.....the prosecution is based on lies.
They claimed several things that were never introduced as evidence.
They wanted the jury to make false assumptions based on lies during the prosecution's opening and closing statements.

What I am wondering at the moment, and I am sweating right along with Kyle, is does the defense team now fear the jury returning with guilty verdicts? Almost seems the judge fears this as well.

What I am wondering at the moment, and I am sweating right along with Kyle, is does the defense team now fear the jury returning with guilty verdicts? Almost seems the judge fears this as well.
I wouldn't put anything past these people.
They should have been sequestered during the whole trial.
The fact that the judge didn't declare a mistrial by now is amazing.

I wouldn't put anything past these people.
They should have been sequestered during the whole trial.
The fact that the judge didn't declare a mistrial by now is amazing.

A part of me wants to like this judge. End of the day, however, this trial represents his (perhaps last) chance at fifteen minutes of fame. Much, much more than Kyle's future is at stake here, and all of America knows it. The result of this trial, either way, will set a very good or bad precedent with far reaching consequences for all free men.

Defense lawyers always have to fear that, no matter how open-and-shut their case is, simply because juries are unpredictable.

Forum List

Back