Missouri Opens First Regulated Black Bear Hunt...media outright lies about it...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Instead of celebrating Missouri Department of Conservation's SUCCESSFUL efforts to re-establish a sustainable black bear population...the media frames a highly regulated black bear season as a "trophy hunt".

The US mainstream news media is garbage...

"MDC set an overall quota of 40 bears total which, again, is divided between the three management zones, reflecting harvest goals for each zone. No bait or dogs are allowed for this season, and hunters are not allowed to take any bears accompanied by another bear—a stop gap to prevent killing sows with cubs. It’s also notable that hunters are being required to salvage the meat from the bears as well. It’s safe to say that Missouri has designed one of the more carefully regulated black bear hunts in the country.

However, rather than celebrating opening day as a successful restoration of bears to a self-sustaining, huntable population, media sources such as Newsweek and NPR are painting the state’s first bear hunt in a much more negative light. Instead of focusing on the detailed (and easily accessible) information that is available from MDC regarding Missouri’s bear populations, history, management, and details of this particular hunt, both outlets relied heavily on opinions from unabashed anti-hunting groups."

Instead of celebrating Missouri Department of Conservation's SUCCESSFUL efforts to re-establish a sustainable black bear population...the media frames a highly regulated black bear season as a "trophy hunt".

"MDC set an overall quota of 40 bears total which, again, is divided between the three management zones, reflecting harvest goals for each zone. No bait or dogs are allowed for this season, and hunters are not allowed to take any bears accompanied by another bear—a stop gap to prevent killing sows with cubs. It’s also notable that hunters are being required to salvage the meat from the bears as well. It’s safe to say that Missouri has designed one of the more carefully regulated black bear hunts in the country.

However, rather than celebrating opening day as a successful restoration of bears to a self-sustaining, huntable population, media sources such as Newsweek and NPR are painting the state’s first bear hunt in a much more negative light. Instead of focusing on the detailed (and easily accessible) information that is available from MDC regarding Missouri’s bear populations, history, management, and details of this particular hunt, both outlets relied heavily on opinions from unabashed anti-hunting groups."

For a minute there, i was thinking that the Bear Hunt was only inclusive to blacks in your title, but once i got into the gist of the link, i realized my error.

The NPR story was pretty right down the middle.

Are you going bear hunting?

Thought I read somewhere...might be in Alaska, that hunters can shoot and kill bears IN THEIR DEN along with their cubs. Sorta like a canned hunt but its in a den itself. :mad:

I am VERY against killing anything unless you are starving and plan to use the whole animal. ALL of it. Hat, shoes, belt, pouch, MEAT to eat, etc. Hunting just cuz its "fun"...I hope a bear eats a hunter or two..and gets away with it.

Cows. ALL of it is used. Bear? Oh, that would make a nice rug with head still attached to impress all friends that drop by.

Sickening.

Cows. ALL of it is used. Bear? Oh, that would make a nice rug with head still attached to impress all friends that drop by.

Sickening.

Believe me...no bear meat is wasted. If you could buy it...it'd be $50 to $100 a pound...

Screenshot_20211019-212849.png

Believe me...no bear meat is wasted. If you could buy it...it'd be $50 to $100 a pound...

View attachment 553886

I know. Ex hubby went bear hunting often. I frowned on it, myself, but he loved bear meat along with his whole family participating. They also used the hide. I never went, myself.

The only time I went hunting was for rabbits. I used the skin for crafts, the meat went to either ex hubby and his family or to the dogs I owned once I cooked up the rabbit stew. But, I stopped going because although I am a good shot, I missed once and the way that rabbit screamed....it hit into my soul. I put my hunting rifle down forever after that. That was about....oh over 40+ years ago.

Sickening.
No body is putting a gun in anybody's hand and cramming meat down em. I guess you have never seen what happens to game when it gets over populated.

Forum List

Back