Misrepresenting Libertarianism

We've had nearly 100 years of progressive/Fabian "pragmatism" and it's not working out so hot.

At this point, just about any reversal of course --as opposed to "reformist" turd polishing-- would be beneficial.

Oh, you're SO right!

Because the last hundred years of American history have been such a dark, dreadful time.

Right?

I mean, we didn't rise to become the most powerful nation in the world during that time...

Or amass huge amounts of wealth during that time...

Or build an infrastructure that tops anything since Rome (relative to technology)...

No, the past hundred years has just been awful, hasn't it?

Every time I read something that a 'liberal' writes it always sounds something along the line s of "freedom is bad and control is good".

The writer of the NYT story forgets that is is individual freedom that we are working on. It sucks to have other people be denied something such as being served food but what about the individual serving the food? Aren't we forcing that person to labor against their wish and wouldn't that be some form of slavery?

That's because you start out with the idea that conservatism is "freedom" and "liberalism" is somehow a form of totalitarianism.

I would suggest taking two aspirin, getting a good night's sleep, and laying off the Glenn Beck for a the rest of your life...

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy states "libertarianism holds that agents initially fully own themselves and have moral powers to acquire property rights in external things under certain conditions."[2] It notes that libertarianism is not a "right-wing" doctrine because of its opposition to laws restricting adult consensual sexual relationships and drug use, and its opposition to imposing religious views or practices and compulsory military service.

Libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consensual sex?

Drugs?

Opposition to "imposing religious views"?

Come on people. No one on the right knows what "Libertarianism" is. They would never stand for it.

They just don't want a "black president" telling them what to do.

Absurd questions like who builds, maintains, and pays for the roads
I believe Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution spells out the requirements about the government's role in building/keeping roads.

And the libertardians have spent the thread attacking everything spelled out there. They have opposed thew Constitution any any government that actually works. Dude said himself that in his little fantasy world, nobody builds, maintains, or pays for roads

the systematic oppression of an entire race is acceptable?
Now we're going into non-sequiturs.

No, we're not. We're addressing the fact that the libertardians are defending the oppression of an entire race because breaking that system violated the sacred right of the KKK to refuse to serve black people

Why don't you just come out and admit what you really think? Why do you libertardians only admit what you really think on accident?
Because what you think libertarians "really" think is not what they "really" think.
[/QUOTE]

Newsflash: Rand Paul's Freudian slip already gave it away and the damage control isn't working when the libertardians are defending the systematic oppression of an entire race as the 'supreme right' above all others

We've had nearly 100 years of progressive/Fabian "pragmatism" and it's not working out so hot.

At this point, just about any reversal of course --as opposed to "reformist" turd polishing-- would be beneficial.

Oh, you're SO right!

Because the last hundred years of American history have been such a dark, dreadful time.

Right?

I mean, we didn't rise to become the most powerful nation in the world during that time...

Or amass huge amounts of wealth during that time...

Or build an infrastructure that tops anything since Rome (relative to technology)...

No, the past hundred years has just been awful, hasn't it?

Social progress was made for some time, then we started listening to the Jeremiah Wrights and Third Wave Feminazis who claim that the solution to discrimination is inverting the system instead of abolishing it.

Our markets grew healthier with sound regulation, including worker and consumer safety, restricting the use of toxic chemicals, the muckrakers... then we decided to let the industries write the regulations and also began listening to delusional Utopians who promised that if we began planning and 'steering' the market instead of simply regulating them and letting them work, we'd never have to pay the bill, noone would ever lose, and we could have Keynes' permanent semi-boom with no busts and no need to make sure we had enough bricks to actually build the house.

We need to tell the loons on both sides, from the Rand Pauls/Dudes to the Keynesians and Utopians to kindly leave the room so we can get back to what worked: simple, clear, reasonable laws and regulations that protect the rights, safety, and liberty of the People at all levels of government and let people rule their own lives and the markets run themselves within the framework of solid legislation that ensures their transparency.

Every time I read something that a 'liberal' writes it always sounds something along the line s of "freedom is bad and control is good".

The writer of the NYT story forgets that is is individual freedom that we are working on. It sucks to have other people be denied something such as being served food but what about the individual serving the food? Aren't we forcing that person to labor against their wish and wouldn't that be some form of slavery?

That's because you start out with the idea that conservatism is "freedom" and "liberalism" is somehow a form of totalitarianism.

I would suggest taking two aspirin, getting a good night's sleep, and laying off the Glenn Beck for a the rest of your life...

How does more government oversight of your life, higher taxes and cradle to grave coddling equate to more freedom?
I would suggest you take your own advice and laying off Rachel Madcow and Olberman for the rest of your life.

The trouble with any exposition of libertarianism is by the time you remove all the nonsense you end up being a 'bipolar conservative' or maybe a 'bipolar liberal.' Thus Rand Paul's troubles. Take your pick.

Libertarian links

Why I Am Not a Libertarian
Why is libertarianism wrong?
Critiques Of Libertarianism: So You Want To Discuss Libertarianism....
The American Conservative -- Marxism of the Right

Libertarian conservative debate

Reflections on an Early Libertarian
Why I Am Not a Conservative

"There isn't much point arguing about the word "libertarian." It would make about as much sense to argue with an unreconstructed Stalinist about the word "democracy" -- recall that they called what they'd constructed "peoples' democracies." The weird offshoot of ultra-right individualist anarchism that is called "libertarian" here happens to amount to advocacy of perhaps the worst kind of imaginable tyranny, namely unaccountable private tyranny. If they want to call that "libertarian," fine; after all, Stalin called his system "democratic." But why bother arguing about it?" Noam Chomsky

Last edited:

No. That is a profoundly stupid concept. You are redlining the tachometer in your brain trying to overthink everything. You need to ease back a little, into the realm of the real world.

Not that you aren't entertaining, don't get me wrong.

How does more government oversight of your life, higher taxes and cradle to grave coddling equate to more freedom?
I would suggest you take your own advice and laying off Rachel Madcow and Olberman for the rest of your life.

I've already done that. I think their both a couple of propagandists and can't stand watching them.

Oh, I"ll tune in for a few minutes at a time just to piss myself off every once in a while, but that's about all I can stand. About the same amount of time I spend watching FoxNews.

Liberalism is all about social freedom and economic control. Conservatism is all about economic freedom and social control.

Libertarianism, I'll have to admit is in fact "all about freedom", but sometimes at the expense of a functioning government.

On the fourth point of the chart, you have totalitarianism. I think we can all agree, nobody wants that. And no-one is practicing it at the moment either, despite what Glenn Beck tells you.

The trouble with any exposition of libertarianism is by the time you remove all the nonsense you end up being a 'bipolar conservative' or maybe a 'bipolar liberal.' Thus Rand Paul's troubles. Take your pick.

Libertarian links

Why I Am Not a Libertarian
Why is libertarianism wrong?
Critiques Of Libertarianism: So You Want To Discuss Libertarianism....
The American Conservative -- Marxism of the Right

Libertarian conservative debate

Reflections on an Early Libertarian
Why I Am Not a Conservative

"There isn't much point arguing about the word "libertarian." It would make about as much sense to argue with an unreconstructed Stalinist about the word "democracy" -- recall that they called what they'd constructed "peoples' democracies." The weird offshoot of ultra-right individualist anarchism that is called "libertarian" here happens to amount to advocacy of perhaps the worst kind of imaginable tyranny, namely unaccountable private tyranny. If they want to call that "libertarian," fine; after all, Stalin called his system "democratic." But why bother arguing about it?" Noam Chomsky
The trouble with exposition of your posts is that you seldom express any independently formed opinion of your own, but merely defer and link to those who share your affinity for the collectivist authoritarian nanny state.

By the time you sift through all the nonsense, you have a big fat zilch.

My taxes aren't higher, I'm not being 'coddled' cradle to grave whatever that means, and as far as too much government oversight is concerned?

to complain about that in the wake of a financial disaster brought on by deregulated banks, and while at this very moment the oil is washing up on shore...

...please...

Looks like we've had a whoooole lotta that there "misrepresentin" thing going on around these here parts, too.

The editors of the New York Times misrepresent libertarianism by way of Rand Paul and his statements about the Civil Rights Act of 1964, saying:

"As a longtime libertarian, he espouses the view that personal freedom should supersede all government intervention. Neighborhood associations should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, he has written, and private businesses ought to be able to refuse service to anyone they wish. Under this philosophy, the punishment for a lunch counter that refuses to seat black customers would be public shunning, not a court order.

It is a theory of liberty with roots in America’s creation, but the succeeding centuries have shown how ineffective it was in promoting a civil society. The freedom of a few people to discriminate meant generations of less freedom for large groups of others.

It was only government power that ended slavery and abolished Jim Crow, neither of which would have been eliminated by a purely free market. It was government that rescued the economy from the Depression and promoted safety and equality in the workplace."
Let’s start with the most obvious canard, which is the proposition that Jim Crow had anything to do with free markets. They were called “Jim Crow Laws“, not “Jim Crow Markets”, the obvious reason for which is that separate accommodations were mandated by state governments, not organically grown in some mythical garden of free association rights. Indeed, the entire reason for the corrupt deal behind the presidential election of 1876 was to throw the South’s support behind a president who would end Reconstruction.

It was government–in this case, the state governments in the South–that imposed Jim Crow, and government that forced private companies to impose the desired restrictions on blacks. If government intervention was required to [abolish] Jim Crow, that was only because governments had imposed it in the first place....

Misrepresenting Libertarianism | Questions and Observations

So what??? Don't you think that if anyone actually gave a shit about Libertarianism even in the least, they would have a produced at least ONE acceptable candidate by now on the National stage?

Harry Browne was a great candidate.

However, the confluence of --among other factors-- the lamestream media blackout, the demopublicratican duopoly debate lockout, biased ballot access requirements, and the completely fallacious "wasted vote" myth, LP candidates can't get a fair and equal hearing before a national audience.

Long and the short of the matter is that the demopublicratican duopoly fears most that if given an honest choice, most people wouldn't choose them.

Looks like we've had a whoooole lotta that there "misrepresentin" thing going on around these here parts, too.

The editors of the New York Times misrepresent libertarianism by way of Rand Paul and his statements about the Civil Rights Act of 1964, saying:

Let’s start with the most obvious canard, which is the proposition that Jim Crow had anything to do with free markets. They were called “Jim Crow Laws“, not “Jim Crow Markets”, the obvious reason for which is that separate accommodations were mandated by state governments, not organically grown in some mythical garden of free association rights. Indeed, the entire reason for the corrupt deal behind the presidential election of 1876 was to throw the South’s support behind a president who would end Reconstruction.

It was government–in this case, the state governments in the South–that imposed Jim Crow, and government that forced private companies to impose the desired restrictions on blacks. If government intervention was required to [abolish] Jim Crow, that was only because governments had imposed it in the first place....
Misrepresenting Libertarianism | Questions and Observations

So what??? Don't you think that if anyone actually gave a shit about Libertarianism even in the least, they would have a produced at least ONE acceptable candidate by now on the National stage?
Prolly the fault of the liberal media.

Or it could just be that they are batshit insane.

Harry Browne was a great candidate.

However, the confluence of --among other factors-- the lamestream media blackout, the demopublicratican duopoly debate lockout, biased ballot access requirements, and the completely fallacious "wasted vote" myth, LP candidates can't get a fair and equal hearing before a national audience.

Long and the short of the matter is that the demopublicratican duopoly fears most that if given an honest choice, most people wouldn't choose them.

In short, the Libertarians are too stupid to figure out how to work within the constraints of the system.

Forum List

Back