Misery Loves Company

We are linear thinkers in a cyclical universe. This is especially true for you. At least until you wake up that is.
I was giving you an example of how humans think. It drives the human need to ask what happens after death. As the only species capable of contemplating what comes next, we are the only species that needs an answer, which supports TN's point above.

The human need for an answer is what drives religious beliefs, not the need to worship something or someone.

I will grant you that humans do need something to obsess about (or worship). The human gene responsible for driving the need to constantly working toward some goal or achievement is responsible for success and were passed down. Driven humans survived. Those humans who lacked that gene starved or otherwise were less successful. It is a simple function of natural selection.

Humans have also generally developed the ability to empathize and have compassion, which supports the survival of the species. Call it what you want. The "Spirit of Christ" or whatever you want to call it, would exist with or without the existence of Christ. But, Christians stake a claim on it to the exclusion of all others. If I called it the gift of Frigg, it would not change the real origin of human compassion.

So, who really needs to wake up?h

We are linear thinkers in a cyclical universe. This is especially true for you. At least until you wake up that is.
I was giving you an example of how humans think. It drives the human need to ask what happens after death. As the only species capable of contemplating what comes next, we are the only species that needs an answer, which supports TN's point above.

The human need for an answer is what drives religious beliefs, not the need to worship something or someone.

I will grant you that humans do need something to obsess about (or worship). The human gene responsible for driving the need to constantly working toward some goal or achievement is responsible for success and were passed down. Driven humans survived. Those humans who lacked that gene starved or otherwise were less successful. It is a simple function of natural selection.

Humans have also generally developed the ability to empathize and have compassion, which supports the survival of the species. Call it what you want. The "Spirit of Christ" or whatever you want to call it, would exist with or without the existence of Christ. But, Christians stake a claim on it to the exclusion of all others. If I called it the gift of Frigg, it would not change the real origin of human compassion.

So, who really needs to wake up?h
You do. Things are the way they are for a reason but not the reason you believe. Belief in a higher power is hard wired into us and offers a functional advantage.

It isn't an accident that virtue is the ultimate organizing principle in men. Nor is it a coincidence that religion teaches morality and virtue.

Your problem and TN's problem is that you believe that liberty and freedom can exist without virtue and that virtue can exist without religion. That has not been shown to be the case.

So rather than only seeing the bad why don't you try seeing the whole picture.

A "higher power" is a MAN MADE concept
Holy fuck, what a dense hack

retarded-boy.gif

Atheism is an argument against others having beliefs. It is a dead end. It doesn’t have a positive program. It is a negation. Throughout history human beings were able to derive happiness by finding meaning in life. This is especially true for those who suffered. William Joyce, said, "When all is said and done, we are in the end absolutely dependent on the universe; and into sacrifices and surrenders of some sort, deliberately looked at and accepted, we are drawn and pressed as into our only permanent positions of repose. Now in those states of mind which fall short of religion, the surrender is submitted to as an imposition of necessity, and the sacrifice is undergone at the very best without complaint. In the religious life, on the contrary, surrender and sacrifice are positively espoused: even unnecessary givings-up are added in order that the happiness may increase. Religion thus makes easy and felicitous what in any case is necessary; and if it be the only agency that can accomplish this result, its vital importance as a human faculty stands vindicated beyond dispute. It becomes an essential organ of our life, performing a function which no other portion of our nature can so successfully fulfill."

Happiness consists of seeing one’s life in its entirety as meaningful and worthwhile. Atheism has no such foundation. They are so miserable that they can't stand it when others are happy. Thus proving the old adage that misery loves company.

I do not disagree, but currently America - and Republicans in particular - are not into sacrifice. If this country were into sacrifice, it would feed, educate, and provide health care for its children, who are our future. This country would also have a program of replacing infrastructure on a regular basis. We do a poor job at all.

The country would also do more, not less, research and development. The percent of the federal budget spent on research and development has fallen from 12% in 1965 to about 3.5% in 2015, and, historically, only the federal government pays for basic research.

In the end, the philosophy of too many Americans is "I want to spend the money on me rather than have the government invest in the future." Put another way, many Americans say they are not atheist, yet there lack of sacrifice for others and the future means they act like one.

Atheism is an argument against others having beliefs. It is a dead end. It doesn’t have a positive program. It is a negation. Throughout history human beings were able to derive happiness by finding meaning in life. This is especially true for those who suffered. William Joyce, said, "When all is said and done, we are in the end absolutely dependent on the universe; and into sacrifices and surrenders of some sort, deliberately looked at and accepted, we are drawn and pressed as into our only permanent positions of repose. Now in those states of mind which fall short of religion, the surrender is submitted to as an imposition of necessity, and the sacrifice is undergone at the very best without complaint. In the religious life, on the contrary, surrender and sacrifice are positively espoused: even unnecessary givings-up are added in order that the happiness may increase. Religion thus makes easy and felicitous what in any case is necessary; and if it be the only agency that can accomplish this result, its vital importance as a human faculty stands vindicated beyond dispute. It becomes an essential organ of our life, performing a function which no other portion of our nature can so successfully fulfill."

Happiness consists of seeing one’s life in its entirety as meaningful and worthwhile. Atheism has no such foundation. They are so miserable that they can't stand it when others are happy. Thus proving the old adage that misery loves company.

I do not disagree, but currently America - and Republicans in particular - are not into sacrifice. If this country were into sacrifice, it would feed, educate, and provide health care for its children, who are our future. This country would also have a program of replacing infrastructure on a regular basis. We do a poor job at all.

The country would also do more, not less, research and development. The percent of the federal budget spent on research and development has fallen from 12% in 1965 to about 3.5% in 2015, and, historically, only the federal government pays for basic research.

In the end, the philosophy of too many Americans is "I want to spend the money on me rather than have the government invest in the future." Put another way, many Americans say they are not atheist, yet there lack of sacrifice for others and the future means they act like one.
Lol
Sacrificing is a religious thing
Being greedy is a non believer thing
Are you dings sock? o_O

I provided over half my income so the government cant then spend it on social programs to feed, clothe and house stupid fucks who vote for the very people who keep them poor. Dumbasses like you need a good bullet to the brain, for how stupid you are.. And the poor fuckers don't even say thank you to me for sacrificing my income...I really hate stupid liberals...(redundant statement as I don't know an intelligent liberal)..

Oh, and 1 more thing....because you are a stupid fuck..

War on poverty cost
The War on Poverty has cost $22 trillion -- three times more than what the government has spent on all wars in American history. Federal and state governments spend $1 trillion in taxpayer dollars on America's 80 means-tested welfare programs annually.
The War on Poverty Has Cost $22 Trillion
ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?article_id=25288

Lol
Sacrificing is a religious thing
Being greedy is a non believer thing
Are you dings sock? o_O
You got the first part right.

Interesting. Are you waiting for the government to act? What is stopping you?

About " Are you waiting for the government to act? What is stopping you?", I wrote, " historically, only the federal government pays for basic research." Basic research, if you understand how it works, can only be funded by the federal government.

Your comment is an excuse to do nothing and turn America into a technological backwater.

About " Are you waiting for the government to act? What is stopping you?", I wrote, " historically, only the federal government pays for basic research." Basic research, if you understand how it works, can only be funded by the federal government.

Your comment is an excuse to do nothing and turn America into a technological backwater.
The overall tenor of your previous post is that Republicans are unwilling to help the disadvantaged. My point was that if you truly feel the disadvantaged need help what is stopping you from doing it? Are you waiting for the government to do it for you?

Or are the disadvantaged just people you use to unjustly criticize others.

The overall tenor of your previous post is that Republicans are unwilling to help the disadvantaged. My point was that if you truly feel the disadvantaged need help what is stopping you from doing it? Are you waiting for the government to do it for you?

Pardon the error. I help the poor in my way, but I also know the numbers. Take food for example! All of the private charities together provide about $5 billion in food aid to America's poor. The government bill is about $100 billion, and half of the recipients are children. To say that the private sector - that is, the churches - can solve this problem is a fantasy.

Pardon the error. I help the poor in my way, but I also know the numbers. Take food for example! All of the private charities together provide about $5 billion in food aid to America's poor. The government bill is about $100 billion, and half of the recipients are children. To say that the private sector - that is, the churches - can solve this problem is a fantasy.
To believe the government is doing it or should do it is a fantasy.

To believe the government is doing it or should do it is a fantasy.

To believe that it will get done by any way other than government is a fantasy. So you either make the government system work or, in the case of food assistance, your country pays for its neglect in higher health care costs. Take your pick!

Forum List

Back