Military retirees face cuts

As Washington looks to squeeze savings from once-sacrosanct entitlements like Social Security and Medicare, another big social welfare system is growing as rapidly, but with far less scrutiny: the health and pension benefits of military retirees.

Military pensions and health care for active and retired troops now cost the government about $100 billion a year, representing an expanding portion of both the Pentagon budget — about $700 billion a year, including war costs — and the national debt, which together finance the programs.

Making even incremental reductions to military benefits is typically a doomed political venture, given the public’s broad support for helping troops, the political potency of veterans groups and the fact that significant savings take years to appear.

But the intense push in Congress this year to reduce the debt and the possibility that the Pentagon might have to begin trimming core programs like weapons procurement, research, training and construction have suddenly made retiree benefits vulnerable, military officials and experts say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/us/retiree-benefits-for-the-military-could-face-cuts.html

I'm a vet. I seen a lot of 'lifers' doing their stint and not much else. I seen them pushing all the real work onto the short term help. I am all for giving those who actually sacrificed all, any, and more of the support they deserve, but the skaters can go suck a grapefruit.

You haven't a fucking clue. Lifers doing their stint? If that meant 12 to 16 hour days for 20 plus years and being away from home at least half the time, then yeah, we did our stint. And when was the last time you had your 2 week training schedule handed back to you at 1730 and told to redo it before you went home? Or had one of your troops call you at 0200 because he was drunk and in jail? Or any of the other hundreds of extras that those lifers put up with on a constant basis. Not even counting the hours of extra training to teach you asswipes how to fucking stay alive. So I'll tell you what.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Give me a f'in break. 12 to 16 hours. Real private jobs do more than that and you are fulll of it anyway.

Oh and survival skills is either you got it or you don't I doubt you saved a damn person's life.

Last edited:
I'm a vet. I seen a lot of 'lifers' doing their stint and not much else. I seen them pushing all the real work onto the short term help. I am all for giving those who actually sacrificed all, any, and more of the support they deserve, but the skaters can go suck a grapefruit.

You haven't a fucking clue. Lifers doing their stint? If that meant 12 to 16 hour days for 20 plus years and being away from home at least half the time, then yeah, we did our stint. And when was the last time you had your 2 week training schedule handed back to you at 1730 and told to redo it before you went home? Or had one of your troops call you at 0200 because he was drunk and in jail? Or any of the other hundreds of extras that those lifers put up with on a constant basis. Not even counting the hours of extra training to teach you asswipes how to fucking stay alive. So I'll tell you what.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Give me a f'in break. 12 to 16 hours. Real private jobs do more than that and you are fulll of it anyway.

Oh and survival skills is either you got it or you don't I doubt you saved a damn person's life.

Again, you haven't a clue, go back to your armchair and STFU.

What are you in your 40's? Afraid you cannot find a job in the real market? That's what most lifers are afaid of. Hey join the rest of us in uncertainty. Learn to rely on life long survival skills instead of trying to push those on some grunt that watches your sorry ass.

What are you in your 40's? Afraid you cannot find a job in the real market? That's what most lifers are afaid of. Hey join the rest of us in uncertainty. Learn to rely on life long survival skills instead of trying to push those on some grunt that watches your sorry ass.
Shut up, troll.

So judging by SFC Ollie's comments, I say cut all lifer benefits except those who have proven valor.

Clueless. I am retired after 22 years on active duty and retired from being the General Manager of a home Improvement company. But truth is none of that is any of your business.

And please try to remember that every Sergeant started out as a Private. And any Sergeant who went beyond their first three stripes worked their ass off up until the day they retired. But I'm sure you wouldn't understand any of that.

But it's nice to hear from an asshole once in a while, Please continue.

Clueless. I am retired after 22 years on active duty and retired from being the General Manager of a home Improvement company. But truth is none of that is any of your business.

And please try to remember that every Sergeant started out as a Private. And any Sergeant who went beyond their first three stripes worked their ass off up until the day they retired. But I'm sure you wouldn't understand any of that.

Actually being a Viet Nam era vet I understand all of that too well. and just how much teat do you expect to suck off the the rest of us?

Actually being a Viet Nam era vet I understand all of that too well. and just how much teat do you expect to suck off the the rest of us?

Vietnam ERA vet.... And you think you know about the easy life of a lifer..... God this is rich..........LOL

Vietnam ERA vet.... And you think you know about the easy life of a lifer..... God this is rich..........LOL

I didn't say a lifer had an easy life. Just one no more difficult than the average US citizen. What entitles you to a retirement at 40 unless you exhibited a level of valor?

Last edited:
I didn't say a lifer had an easy life. Just one no more difficult than the average US citizen. What entitles you to a retirement at 40 unless you exhibited a level of valor?

The United States Constitution Article II Section 8 which authorizes Congress to establish the the laws which govern the branches of the United States Armed Forces and the agreement made at the time of enlistment for services rendered.

Those services were rendered under agreed upon terms and on one side the terms were completed (20-years, or more years, of honorable service). I for one am very thankful that the American people are honoring their part of the bargain.

>>>>

The United States Constitution Article II Section 8 which authorizes Congress to establish the the laws which govern the branches of the United States Armed Forces and the agreement made at the time of enlistment for services rendered.

Those services were rendered under agreed upon terms and on one side the terms were completed (20-years, or more years, of honorable service). I for one am very thankful that the American people are honoring their part of the bargain.

>>>>
Ok, Fine! But let it be known by this witness that some deserve much more than they receive and others are just leeches.

>>>>
Ok, Fine! But let it be known by this witness that some deserve much more than they receive and others are just leeches.

Maybe you should get the military to junk the current structure (Grade/Years of Service) to a Merit Based pay system where there is no structure but people are paid based on their "merit". You know market rate for skills, that would have been fine by me, I was an electronics technician specializing in Communications/Navigation/RADAR systems - I'd have seen an increase in pay which would have made my current retirement higher.

You know guys on guard duty, they just get minimum wage. If you are in country, well then you would "merit" more pay - which of course you wouldn't "merit" once you left. Jet Turbine Tech's though would probably be on-board with it because in the civilian world they make good money.

>>>>

Last edited:
Why would it be shocking that the Obama administration would be targeting this rather than cutting waste?

Obama administration?

Bush cut taxes for the rich and now there is no money for military pensions.

All those military folks who voted for Bush cut their own throats.

Again, republicans...Here is your choice..

Tax cuts to the rich and cut benifits for the retired mlitary? What say you?

What the fuck are you talking about..the avg citizen is not fighting in wars asswipe. God damn you are sickening.

Do you know what happens to a guy when he does 2 3 4 tours over there? Do you know what kind of pressure the military puts on its members...yes, it is more difficult than an accountant doing 9-5 here in the states. Even the members who dont go to war its still a very very hard but fulfilling job and much harder than your fucking marketing department.

Fuck you.

ED..I just read where you said you were a vietnam vet. What the fuck are you talking about then? Are you pissed becuase you didnt do 20 and are not getting a retirement check from uncle sam and are a tad jealous? You of all poeple should know how tough a job it is and to compare it to a civilian job....really?

Come on. Again, fuck you. Should I return my monthly checks then since I never got a medal of Valor?

I did my time. Had fun, had hard years...am considered disabled (45%) and am proud of my career. That is why I deserve a retirment check starting at age 39 1/2.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;4169362 said:
Actually Congress kept the cuts.

But thanks for playing.

And when Obama signed the bill extending the Bush tax cuts, what did he say?

Mr. Obama said the bill would create jobs and boost the still-struggling U.S. economy. He called it a "substantial victory for middle class families" who would otherwise have seen a tax increase.

"In fact, not only will middle class Americans avoid a tax increase, but tens of millions of Americans will start the new year off right by opening their first paycheck to see that it's larger than the one they get right now," he said.

The president also noted the bill included tax breaks for millions of college students and their families and extensions of the earned income tax credit and $1,000-per-child tax credit. It also includes extensions of tax incentives for businesses to invest and expand and lower taxes on capitol gains and dividends.

Obama Signs Bill To Extend Bush Tax Cuts - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

You're being a bit disingenuous. Obama was referring to the extension of UE benefits and tax breaks for the middle class. He was not referring to the Bush tax cuts. The only reason he agreed to extend the Bush tax cuts was to get the GOP to agree to extend UE benefits. And it was a temporary extension until 2012.

Yup...they actually used that .... holding UE benefits hostage to keep the bush tax cuts and the disingenuous ones in here try to make it like it was his fucking idea to do it.

STFU.

Calling military retirement benefits "another big social welfare system " is bullshit. My benefits were prepaid with 26 years of honorable service and sacrifice. Same with my wife's dad. He has received his pension and health care twice as long as the time he served. These benefits are not entitlements but a fulfilled promise from a grateful nation. If the citizenry does not want the security provided by the service members that receive these benefits, they should vote to chage the system. They should in turn, stand by for heavy rolls. Otherwise, whiners and haters should STFU and figure out how to pay for ships, planes, weapons systems, personnel, health care, etc. etc. et al.

"Deficit hawks, led by Senator Tom Coburn, Republican of Oklahoma, have begun taking smaller steps, pushing for an array of cuts to military benefits, including ending subsidies for base commissaries and tightening disability compensation for diseases linked to Agent Orange."

Then talk to that republican. and I agree with you fellow vet. I agree with you.

Last edited:
Should the title be:

Republican controlled house considers cuts to military retiree benefits.

They can consider anything they like. And the media can get all worked up about it all day long.

Cutting retirees benefits ?

Never gonna happen.

Too many organizations, lobbyists, pro-military elected officials won't allow it.

And to many vet voters. That is what it will come down to in the big picture.

(I am 20 year navy as well...)

Forum List

Back