Military retirees face cuts

Military members and retirees have already seen changes to their retirement and health benefits. When I came in back in the 70s, we were promised FREE healthcare for life and a pension of 50% of your highest annual pay. Now I have to pay for what was once promised to be free, and many retirees get a pension check that is less than what they were promised when they initially enlisted.

I was lucky, I came home in one piece both physically and mentally, the same cannot be said for many others. Most of them get some kind of disabilty waiver from taxes, but to ask them to pay more for their medical bills is just not right. I do not believe you will find many pols who will support that, and NONE on the GOP side outside maybe of a few wingnuts.

Hmmmm.....I believe you would hard pressed to find any DEMS outside of a few wingnuts too. But the fact is that the ones pushing this the hardest are GOP folks, specifically Michelle Bachmann and Paul Ryan (ok....they're wingnuts).

Republican’s War on Veterans Benefits Continues

Go Republicans!

Lower my taxes and get all those vets off the public sugar tit.

Before I start cussing, answer this for me.
Company's like GM would be doing really good if not for the union retirment. Since the government owns GM why don't we kill the union poension plan and all retired people will no longer ecieve their checks. How do you feel about that chris?

Hmmmm.....I believe you would hard pressed to find any DEMS outside of a few wingnuts too. But the fact is that the ones pushing this the hardest are GOP folks, specifically Michelle Bachmann and Paul Ryan (ok....they're wingnuts).

Go Republicans!

Company's like GM would be doing really good if not for the union retirment. Since the government owns GM why don't we kill the union poension plan and all retired people will no longer ecieve their checks. How do you feel about that chris?

The government doesn't own GM.

Go Republicans!

GM hasn't paid back the debt they owe so yes the government owns GM. But I digress what abouit the unions should the unions kill thier pension plans?

Last edited:

GM hasn't paid back the debt they owe so yes the government owns GM. But I digress what abouit the unions should the unions kill thier pension plans?

The government still does not OWN GM.

Nobodies PROMISED benefits should be touched, not public or private unions or the military.

Go Republicans!

You are the poster child for abortion.

i think Chrissy's problem may be that his Nuts never dropped......in other words looks like a guy,talks like girl.....

Military members and retirees have already seen changes to their retirement and health benefits. When I came in back in the 70s, we were promised FREE healthcare for life and a pension of 50% of your highest annual pay. Now I have to pay for what was once promised to be free, and many retirees get a pension check that is less than what they were promised when they initially enlisted.

I was lucky, I came home in one piece both physically and mentally, the same cannot be said for many others. Most of them get some kind of disabilty waiver from taxes, but to ask them to pay more for their medical bills is just not right. I do not believe you will find many pols who will support that, and NONE on the GOP side outside maybe of a few wingnuts.

Go Republicans!

Would you include the moochers on wefare squirting out babies to get a bigger gubmint check in your remarks?

We need to end all this nanny state nonsense of giving vets money for doing nothing.

Time to get a job, vets.

Now, facts are that Ryan was talking about cutting VA coverage for some class 7 & 8 veterans.

These are vets who use VA healthcare but have either no disability or no service connected disability.

I haven't heard anything concrete about any cuts, VA has been growing for the past 12 years or so. Along with their budget.

I do not remember being promised healthcare for serving 3 years and having no service related problems. But many veterans get it, Including 2 of my brothers. I use Tricare..........

Now, facts are that Ryan was talking about cutting VA coverage for some class 7 & 8 veterans.

These are vets who use VA healthcare but have either no disability or no service connected disability.

I haven't heard anything concrete about any cuts, VA has been growing for the past 12 years or so. Along with their budget.

I do not remember being promised healthcare for serving 3 years and having no service related problems. But many veterans get it, Including 2 of my brothers. I use Tricare..........
I was in for 10...and I have yet to cash in on any benefits and probably won't.

As many veterans don't. My one brother uses VA for everything, The other only for his vision. Me, I use the clinic for nothing but a place to help veterans who need the help. Some days when I go in all I end up doing is making the coffee......

As many veterans don't. My one brother uses VA for everything, The other only for his vision. Me, I use the clinic for nothing but a place to help veterans who need the help. Some days when I go in all I end up doing is making the coffee......
And good on both of you. No begrudgement here. It was earned.

As Washington looks to squeeze savings from once-sacrosanct entitlements like Social Security and Medicare, another big social welfare system is growing as rapidly, but with far less scrutiny: the health and pension benefits of military retirees.

Military pensions and health care for active and retired troops now cost the government about $100 billion a year, representing an expanding portion of both the Pentagon budget — about $700 billion a year, including war costs — and the national debt, which together finance the programs.

Making even incremental reductions to military benefits is typically a doomed political venture, given the public’s broad support for helping troops, the political potency of veterans groups and the fact that significant savings take years to appear.

But the intense push in Congress this year to reduce the debt and the possibility that the Pentagon might have to begin trimming core programs like weapons procurement, research, training and construction have suddenly made retiree benefits vulnerable, military officials and experts say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/us/retiree-benefits-for-the-military-could-face-cuts.html

I'm a vet. I seen a lot of 'lifers' doing their stint and not much else. I seen them pushing all the real work onto the short term help. I am all for giving those who actually sacrificed all, any, and more of the support they deserve, but the skaters can go suck a grapefruit.

As Washington looks to squeeze savings from once-sacrosanct entitlements like Social Security and Medicare, another big social welfare system is growing as rapidly, but with far less scrutiny: the health and pension benefits of military retirees.

Military pensions and health care for active and retired troops now cost the government about $100 billion a year, representing an expanding portion of both the Pentagon budget — about $700 billion a year, including war costs — and the national debt, which together finance the programs.

Making even incremental reductions to military benefits is typically a doomed political venture, given the public’s broad support for helping troops, the political potency of veterans groups and the fact that significant savings take years to appear.

But the intense push in Congress this year to reduce the debt and the possibility that the Pentagon might have to begin trimming core programs like weapons procurement, research, training and construction have suddenly made retiree benefits vulnerable, military officials and experts say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/us/retiree-benefits-for-the-military-could-face-cuts.html

I'm a vet. I seen a lot of 'lifers' doing their stint and not much else. I seen them pushing all the real work onto the short term help. I am all for giving those who actually sacrificed all, any, and more of the support they deserve, but the skaters can go suck a grapefruit.

You haven't a fucking clue. Lifers doing their stint? If that meant 12 to 16 hour days for 20 plus years and being away from home at least half the time, then yeah, we did our stint. And when was the last time you had your 2 week training schedule handed back to you at 1730 and told to redo it before you went home? Or had one of your troops call you at 0200 because he was drunk and in jail? Or any of the other hundreds of extras that those lifers put up with on a constant basis. Not even counting the hours of extra training to teach you asswipes how to fucking stay alive. So I'll tell you what.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

SFC Ollie, you were talking to a troll. He isn't participating, he's just invited himself into the board to drop uglies on conservatives. If you look at his record, he drops in every 3 minutes to a different thread, reads one post, says something negative about the conservative who just said something. He's not reading, he's just pushing a superficial preplanned wipeout to meet a quota that shows an upcoming poll "public opinion" that favors his team. That's how you read polls that can be 50% off. Paid or habitual trolls do that. He doesn't stick around long anywhere. He's a carpet-bomber troll.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back