Midwest fault line could instanntly kill 80,000 people warns FEMA

What in the heck is going on? Is our world turned upside down? Kind of, but not really. Folks in the central United States, otherwise known as the Mississippi Valley, are being encouraged to prepare for catastrophic earthquakes. And while the fear may seem unfounded, science is actually speaking to the contrary. A new program called “Shake It Out” is encouraging mass participation in earthquake preparedness events from Ohio all the way down through the southern state of Louisiana.
Midwest Fault Line Could Instantly Kill 80,000 People, Warns FEMA

Well things are getting shady more than most even realize....

Not really. The New Madrid earthquakes back in the 1811, 1812 time frame were so powerful they caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards for three days.

I think their estimate is a bit high, but only a bit. That part of the country doesn't build to the same standards as in earthquake country.

I have never gotten how that would even be possible and believe it to be nothing more than an old wive's tale.

No, it is factual. There was actually visible evidence for decades after the fact. I would love to trench a section of it so we could see deposition layers.

I've been to Portland, Sea-Tacoma. I lived in Eugene-Elmira. They are not ready for a 7.0 either? Are they?

Yes we are.

We have zoning laws and building codes that require buildings to withstand a major shake such as a 7.0. The Space Needle is a very good example. Even though it was built in 1962:

The Space Needle was built to withstand wind speeds of 200 mph (320 km/h), double the requirements in the building code of 1962. The 6.8 Mw  Nisqually earthquake jolted the Needle enough in 2001 for water to slosh out of the toilets in the restrooms. The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1. Also made to withstand Category 5 hurricane-force winds, the Space Needle sways only 1 in (25 mm) per 10 mph (16 km/h) of wind speed.

Meanwhile Ohio and the midwest have done nothing. They have no zoning laws or building codes that require being able to with stand an earthquake.

They better get their butts in gear. They have a lot of work to do.
The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1.
there is no way they can say that.....in S.Cal there were new buildings and bridges damaged during the 6.7 we had in Northridge....those buildings were supposed to be good for bigger quakes to,so they thought.....many had serious damage....

They did say it.

If you don't like it. That's your problem.

And they are wrong. But it truly doesn't matter. Everytime there is a major earthquake we learn new things.

I've been to Portland, Sea-Tacoma. I lived in Eugene-Elmira. They are not ready for a 7.0 either? Are they?

Yes we are.

We have zoning laws and building codes that require buildings to withstand a major shake such as a 7.0. The Space Needle is a very good example. Even though it was built in 1962:

The Space Needle was built to withstand wind speeds of 200 mph (320 km/h), double the requirements in the building code of 1962. The 6.8 Mw  Nisqually earthquake jolted the Needle enough in 2001 for water to slosh out of the toilets in the restrooms. The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1. Also made to withstand Category 5 hurricane-force winds, the Space Needle sways only 1 in (25 mm) per 10 mph (16 km/h) of wind speed.

Meanwhile Ohio and the midwest have done nothing. They have no zoning laws or building codes that require being able to with stand an earthquake.

The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1.
there is no way they can say that.....in S.Cal there were new buildings and bridges damaged during the 6.7 we had in Northridge....those buildings were supposed to be good for bigger quakes to,so they thought.....many had serious damage....
Concrete bridges are far more brittle than the Space Needle. The Needle can sway with no problem.
so can bridges....the buildings that were damaged were less than 5 years old....no one can say that something will have only minor damage with a fucking 8 point quake....they can hope,but thats it...

Yes we are.

Concrete bridges are far more brittle than the Space Needle. The Needle can sway with no problem.

It's not that they are brittle, it is that they use gravity to keep them in place. The construction methods are different. However, I really doubt the Space Needle could survive a 8.0 without major damage.

Yes we are.

It's not that they are brittle, it is that they use gravity to keep them in place. The construction methods are different. However, I really doubt the Space Needle could survive a 8.0 without major damage.
If Seattle gets hit with an 8.0 or higher, it has bigger problems than the Space Needle to worry about.

Yes we are.

If Seattle gets hit with an 8.0 or higher, it has bigger problems than the Space Needle to worry about.
they may not have to worry about it at all....it may be down....

There are 15 nuclear poewer stations of the same design as fukushima along that fault line.

I think brooklyn had a 5.0 quake back in the 1800's. That could really ratchet up the death toll if it happened today there.

Yes we are.

Ok so tell me what concrete bridge came down during an earthquake here?

Not only are our buildings built to with stand earthquakes, so are our bridges and some infrastructure.

You people seem to think that it's ok to not be prepared for Mother Nature. It's not.

Those of us in the west have been building infrastructure and buildings that are meant to withstand a big shake for decades. You people in the east have not. We in the west know the benefit of spending a little more money to make sure that everything can withstand a big shake. You in the east don't. We don't have a problem with paying taxes and passing zoning laws that will make sure we are safe. You in the east do have that problem and don't seem to care about the safety of your people. While you bash us in the west.

Ever heard of the story of the ant and grasshopper? You might want to learn from it.

Yes we are.

Ya think maybe because they dont have earthquakes there ya dumbfuck?
We dont build for earthquakes in Texas either....because we dont have them.

Yes we are.

Spend trillions to prevent damage to buildings that may never happen? Perfect liberal logic!

We had a 4.3 earthquake here about 12 years ago. The light swaying above the dining room table, and a low rumble were the only indication and I thought it was a train on the nearby tracks.

Anyone who has ever studied eathquakes knows about their potential impact in God's country because of the New Madrid fault. Chicken Little is a live and well and posting on USMB!

Actually I think she really is just that stupid.
She probably advocates hurricane evacuation routes in Idaho.

What in the heck is going on? Is our world turned upside down? Kind of, but not really. Folks in the central United States, otherwise known as the Mississippi Valley, are being encouraged to prepare for catastrophic earthquakes. And while the fear may seem unfounded, science is actually speaking to the contrary. A new program called “Shake It Out” is encouraging mass participation in earthquake preparedness events from Ohio all the way down through the southern state of Louisiana.
Midwest Fault Line Could Instantly Kill 80,000 People, Warns FEMA

Well things are getting shady more than most even realize....

Not really. The New Madrid earthquakes back in the 1811, 1812 time frame were so powerful they caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards for three days.

I think their estimate is a bit high, but only a bit. That part of the country doesn't build to the same standards as in earthquake country.

I have never gotten how that would even be possible and believe it to be nothing more than an old wive's tale.

No, it is factual. There was actually visible evidence for decades after the fact. I would love to trench a section of it so we could see deposition layers.

Here's some cool pics.
I would have loved to see the sand geysers!!!!
There's a trench photo showing the results of the sand geysers.
1811-1812 New Madrid Earthquakes Photos

Earthquakes

Four of Satan's daughters elected to congress

Safe spaces for violent fascists

All signs of the apocalypse!

No they are not, I left Seattle, they are not prepared, they think they are however if an earthquake hit during rush hour when the tunnel collapses I guess it is their own fault for doing such a stupid thing.

No they are not, I left Seattle, they are not prepared, they think they are however if an earthquake hit during rush hour when the tunnel collapses I guess it is their own fault for doing such a stupid thing.

Yep...
Just like all the elevated freeways that crushed so many people in the last big California quake.

Yep...
Just like all the elevated freeways that crushed so many people in the last big California quake.

I agree, earthquakes and how the buildings stand or withstand an earthquake are unpredictable. There are different types of earthquakes, different depths of earthquakes and no one really knows what could happen. It is all a guess.

Yes we are.

Not only are our buildings built to with stand earthquakes, so are our bridges and some infrastructure.

You people seem to think that it's ok to not be prepared for Mother Nature. It's not.

Those of us in the west have been building infrastructure and buildings that are meant to withstand a big shake for decades. You people in the east have not. We in the west know the benefit of spending a little more money to make sure that everything can withstand a big shake. You in the east don't. We don't have a problem with paying taxes and passing zoning laws that will make sure we are safe. You in the east do have that problem and don't seem to care about the safety of your people. While you bash us in the west.

Ever heard of the story of the ant and grasshopper? You might want to learn from it.
I live in Seattle.

Yes we are.

I live in Seattle.

I used to live there as well, left for a job and found out that the eastern side of the state has better weather and no traffic. I went back last week for a funeral and I learned to hate Seattle all over again. How people can live like that is unreal.

Yes we are.

I live in Seattle.

I used to live there as well, left for a job and found out that the eastern side of the state has better weather and no traffic. I went back last week for a funeral and I learned to hate Seattle all over again. How people can live like that is unreal.

Lived in Pullman as a kid and it was great!!
Of course that was over 40 years ago.

Forum List

Back