Midway

I kind of liked the version with Chuck Heston, Glen Ford, Kirk Douglas and Hank Fonda. Those guys were old enough to experience the battle in real time.

That one included actual war footage.

And about 10 minutes of footage used in the previous movie, 'Tora, Tora, Tora'.
And a jet fighter crashing on a carrier.

And all the scenes of the Doolittle Raid in that movie were lifted straight from the 1944 movie, "30 Seconds Over Tokyo"

My fears that this would be another Hollyweird screwup are dispelled. Very well done and very accurate with events as they occurred. Very pleased they put historical context in the beginning of the movie by showing Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid. And showing some of the atrocities committed by the Japanese was a bonus as history begins to whitewash that era. CGI was incredible and put you in the 1940's.

9.7 out of 10
The degree of artistic license allowed versus historical accuracy depends on the purpose of the film. If the purpose is to education rather entertain, then historical accuracy has to take precedence. Hopefully, this film has the right balance to be both informative and provide and entertaining experience.
It does. The history nuts who I despise because they’ll complain how many rows of robots were really on a Wildcat are picking it apart for the same level of detail.
Rivets?

We saw it last night.
I don't have quite the admiration for it. It didn't add anything to the original, in fact I believe the original is a better movie.
This one has better graphics, but it was a little too "topographical" to me... no depth. For instance when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred they really only focused on two characters that played no part in the movie after the scene. I don't get that.
The main characters did not develop well, and I didn't find myself connected to them like the original.
All in all I rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Not bad, decent but not an epic like the original.

Forum List

Back