Midway

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
My fears that this would be another Hollyweird screwup are dispelled. Very well done and very accurate with events as they occurred. Very pleased they put historical context in the beginning of the movie by showing Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid. And showing some of the atrocities committed by the Japanese was a bonus as history begins to whitewash that era. CGI was incredible and put you in the 1940's.

9.7 out of 10

You gave me a funny, do you disagree with my sentiment?

I have "an app" that offers EVERY MOVIE AND TV SHOW ever made and it is untraceable. Often I get movies before they even hit theaters.

If Hollywood wants to pretend they're important in politics I will continue to cheat them out of money.

Do your jobs and keep your opinions to yourselves.

I wish they'd do a movie that is historically correct with the battle of Leyte Gulf.............

Was an incredible battle that saved the landing force.........

You gave me a funny, do you disagree with my sentiment?

I have "an app" that offers EVERY MOVIE AND TV SHOW ever made and it is untraceable. Often I get movies before they even hit theaters.

If Hollywood wants to pretend they're important in politics I will continue to cheat them out of money.

Do your jobs and keep your opinions to yourselves.
As a comedian I covet the smiley face. It was just a funny.

Have not seen it yet. I have the76 movie. The trailer for the new one looks like too much computer graphics were used.

Have not seen it yet. I have the76 movie. The trailer for the new one looks like too much computer graphics were used.
A lot. But out of necessity of course. Diving bombing in the middle of a 1942 Japanese fleet can’t be recreated live. Everything was authentic looking as a result and the CGI was very well done.

I kind of liked the version with Chuck Heston, Glen Ford, Kirk Douglas and Hank Fonda. Those guys were old enough to experience the battle in real time.

I wish they'd do a movie that is historically correct with the battle of Leyte Gulf.............

My father was there. He told me that he was on battle stations (AA) when he saw a geyser off in the distance. His first thought was that a destroyer had dropped some depth charges for an assumed submarine. But then he noted that the geyser had coloring to it. Apparently, battleships and cruisers had a color assigned to their ship so that they could determine if it was their shot that missed "to starboard" or if the miss was from by another ship.

I never knew that until he told me. Makes sense.

The Bismark had 15 inch guns and displaced ~ 45K tons.

The biggest BB the US built had 16 inch guns and displaced ~ 60K tons.

The Yamato that was bearing down on our landing force had 18 inch guns and displaced ~70k tons.

My father was there. He told me that he was on battle stations (AA) when he saw a geyser off in the distance. His first thought was that a destroyer had dropped some depth charges for an assumed submarine. But then he noted that the geyser had coloring to it. Apparently, battleships and cruisers had a color assigned to their ship so that they could determine if it was their shot that missed "to starboard" or if the miss was from by another ship.

I never knew that until he told me. Makes sense.

The Bismark had 15 inch guns and displaced ~ 45K tons.

The biggest BB the US built had 16 inch guns and displaced ~ 60K tons.

The Yamato that was bearing down on our landing force had 18 inch guns and displaced ~70k tons.
Each gun turret has a color. That way you can ID your own splash and adjust.

My fears that this would be another Hollyweird screwup are dispelled. Very well done and very accurate with events as they occurred. Very pleased they put historical context in the beginning of the movie by showing Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid. And showing some of the atrocities committed by the Japanese was a bonus as history begins to whitewash that era. CGI was incredible and put you in the 1940's.

9.7 out of 10
I enjoyed the movie

Avoided the phony drama and provided a good historical perspective

The 1976 "Midway" with Chuck Heston and Hank Fonda was pretty good. My guess is that the updated extravaganza will feature more realistic explosions and video game graphics and not much plot.

9.7 out of 10
The degree of artistic license allowed versus historical accuracy depends on the purpose of the film. If the purpose is to education rather entertain, then historical accuracy has to take precedence. Hopefully, this film has the right balance to be both informative and provide and entertaining experience.

9.7 out of 10
The degree of artistic license allowed versus historical accuracy depends on the purpose of the film. If the purpose is to education rather entertain, then historical accuracy has to take precedence. Hopefully, this film has the right balance to be both informative and provide and entertaining experience.
It does. The history nuts who I despise because they’ll complain how many rows of robots were really on a Wildcat are picking it apart for the same level of detail.

9.7 out of 10
It does. The history nuts who I despise because they’ll complain how many rows of robots were really on a Wildcat are picking it apart for the same level of detail.
I agree. Some discussion on the history channel about presentations really nitpicks. Watched the Longest Day not long ago and read about all the inaccuracies. However, the film maker for the most part got it right and most of the inaccuracies were added for entertainment purposes which is ok with me because that's why I watch movies, to be entertained.

Forum List

Back