Michael Sam: I’d Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn’t Come Out

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
Uh huh, it couldn't be you're just lousy and not good enough, it just has to be because you are gay. He couldn't even make it in the Canadian league....oh wait the Canadians must be homophobes

Michael Sam Says – I’d Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn’t Come Out

Michael Sam could very well still be playing in the NFL had he not come out as gay, the former St. Louis Ram told sportscaster Dan Patrick on Friday.

Sam, who played defensive end at the University of Missouri before being drafted into the NFL, told Patrick becoming a media spectacle was never a part of his plan, and may have hurt his first shot at professional football.

"I wanted to come out after I made an NFL roster, it really wasn't supposed to be public," Sam said on the Dan Patrick Show during a 13-minute interview. "It was just supposed to be to the team, as I did at the University of Missouri."

But some reporters were aware of his sexuality, and Sam feared they would break the news, which he wanted to do on his own terms, he said.

"I wanted to be the one to tell my own story. I didn't want someone telling it for me," said Sam, who was the recipient of the 2014 Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

Then Patrick asked Sam if coming out hurt his professional career.

"I'm not going to say ... but it probably would have been better for me if I didn't come out, I would be on a roster," Sam said. "But, as I said, I have no regrets whatsoever."

Sam was cut by the Rams before the start of the 2014 regular season, having been beat for a roster spot by Ethan Westbrooks. From there, he was claimed by the Dallas Cowboys for their practice squad, but ultimately cut again.

Michael Sam Still in NFL If He Hadn't Come Out, He Says

Probably doesn't help his case to say that.

The guy was a stud in college (maybe not a great choice of words there) but from what I've read he's a "tweener" in the NFL: Too small to play defensive end and too slow to play outside linebacker. But I can also see that a team would be concerned about the associated drama of signing him. Teams nowadays try to avoid any drama, and this would be a firestorm.

If he were a better player this would be a more interesting theory.

The guy was a stud in college (maybe not a great choice of words there) but from what I've read he's a "tweener" in the NFL: Too small to play defensive end and too slow to play outside linebacker. But I can also see that a team would be concerned about the associated drama of signing him.

My understanding is he had two shots in the NFL and one in the Canadian league, he had more chances than some get

The guy was a stud in college (maybe not a great choice of words there) but from what I've read he's a "tweener" in the NFL: Too small to play defensive end and too slow to play outside linebacker. But I can also see that a team would be concerned about the associated drama of signing him.

My understanding is he had two shots in the NFL and one in the Canadian league, he had more chances than some get
The league is pretty PC, but when it comes to actual on-the-field performance I'd guess they leave that stuff in the hands of the coaches.

So yeah, he's probably had at least his share of chances.

If he can lose weight and get faster to play linebacker, or if he can bulk up to play defensive end, then we'll see. But those are huge if's in the NFL, as there are already so many amazing athletes.

What a joke. Protected groups love playing their card. We need to stop reacting to cry babies. Grow up!

If you can't cut it in the CFL it means you can't cut it anywhere. It doesn't matter if you are a nancy boy. It means you aren't a good player.

No NFL team wanted a likely child molester on their team. They knew that would hurt ticket sales. That's why he was cut - along with lack of ability.

The press won't say it but the priest scandal proved that nearly all queers are peds. In fact that's why the press no longer mentions the priest scandal.

Uh huh, it couldn't be you're just lousy and not good enough, it just has to be because you are gay. He couldn't even make it in the Canadian league....oh wait the Canadians must be homophobes

Michael Sam could very well still be playing in the NFL had he not come out as gay, the former St. Louis Ram told sportscaster Dan Patrick on Friday.

Sam, who played defensive end at the University of Missouri before being drafted into the NFL, told Patrick becoming a media spectacle was never a part of his plan, and may have hurt his first shot at professional football.

"I wanted to come out after I made an NFL roster, it really wasn't supposed to be public," Sam said on the Dan Patrick Show during a 13-minute interview. "It was just supposed to be to the team, as I did at the University of Missouri."

But some reporters were aware of his sexuality, and Sam feared they would break the news, which he wanted to do on his own terms, he said.

"I wanted to be the one to tell my own story. I didn't want someone telling it for me," said Sam, who was the recipient of the 2014 Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

"I'm not going to say ... but it probably would have been better for me if I didn't come out, I would be on a roster," Sam said. "But, as I said, I have no regrets whatsoever."

Sam was cut by the Rams before the start of the 2014 regular season, having been beat for a roster spot by Ethan Westbrooks. From there, he was claimed by the Dallas Cowboys for their practice squad, but ultimately cut again.

Maybe you should try getting back in that closet.

Maybe you should try getting back in that closet.

Lame. why don't you go whine about racism and other stupid shit

Yeah but he got an Arthur Ashe award for "courageously" sucking all those cox.

So he's got THAT going for him.

If I'm going to be the one to start a union at my work, I better be able to pay my mortgage if it goes wrong and I get fired. If not I should keep my mouth shut if I want to keep my job.

In the NFL they got 5 guys looking to take your spot. If they think you are going to mess with the chemistry you're cut. Whatever the reason.

I would have stayed in the closet till my career was done.

He wouldn't have gotten the chances he had if he wasn't gay. He left the Canadian team because he had a fight with his boyfriend. They took him back because he's gay. That would not happen to a straight guy.

If I'm going to be the one to start a union at my work, I better be able to pay my mortgage if it goes wrong and I get fired. If not I should keep my mouth shut if I want to keep my job.

In the NFL they got 5 guys looking to take your spot. If they think you are going to mess with the chemistry you're cut. Whatever the reason.

I would have stayed in the closet till my career was done.

His "gaysurance" didn't work

oh gawd, nobody would have know his name if it wasn't for "coming out"

but here's this for him:boohoo:
and maybe he'll learn something from it. keep you sexual preference to YOURSELF.

NO ONE GIVES A CRAP

Last edited:

Forum List

Back