Memorial Day Movie - The Big Red One

Lee Marvin was born on February 19, 1924, he served with the Marine Corps during World War II in the Pacific and was awarded a Purple Heart for a wound that he received there.

On his return, he became a movie actor and starred in a number of motion pictures until his death in Arizona on August 29, 1987.

Lee Marvin enlisted in the U.S. Marines, saw action as Private First Class in the Pacific during World War II, and was wounded (in the buttocks) by fire which severed his sciatic nerve. However, this injury occurred during the battle for Saipan in June 1944, not the battle for Iwo Jima, which took place several months later, in February 1945. Marvin also did receive a Purple Heart, and he is indeed buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

One of my favorite movies.

I haven't watched a single documentary or war movie this weekend; seen them all over and over and over and over again since I was a kid, and don't care if I ever see another one. Went to two of the Memorial Day services, a cookout at the VFW, and that's it for me from now on.

Forum List

Back