Melody vs harmony

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Brand new to this and saw a few help videos

Melody - can be either lyrics or musical instrument . It gives the song it’s signature . It is the jingle that defines a song . The memorable parts !!!

Harmony - gives the song its depth and richness . Usually one instrument or multiple ones playing in accord .

If you have 2 guitars working at the same time ?? Is one for melody and one for harmony ???

Confused

This probably belongs in the Music forum

Melody is "one note at a time" and is the "tune"

Harmony is any notes played with the melody. Technically, whenever you hear more than one note played at a time

That's it. Not very complicated

ETA: Harmony has nothing to do with number of instruments. It's the number of notes.

Look up "orchestra". Then pay attention to first chair, second chair and so on. The top players carry the melody and the lessers carry the "fill".

Look up "orchestra". Then pay attention to first chair, second chair and so on. The top players carry the melody and the lessers carry the "fill".
Fascinating! All these years around fine music, and as a fond listener, I was not a participant except at the church the year we had bells. Thanks for this interesting post of yours, ProfessorHawthorne.

This probably belongs in the Music forum

Melody is "one note at a time" and is the "tune"

Harmony is any notes played with the melody. Technically, whenever you hear more than one note played at a time

That's it. Not very complicated

ETA: Harmony has nothing to do with number of instruments. It's the number of notes.
"Confused?"
So am I - I thought you were talking about a 'duel' showdown between Melody Angel vs Harmony Angel from the popular Captain Scarlet TV series. While on the subject I now know who Trumpsters remind me of - The Mysterons.

Cartman has the best schemes but his greed and childish behavior always blows it

Forum List

Back