Medically assisted deaths could save millions in health care spending: Report

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
As I often do when an issue makes the news, I do some digging about where we are morally.

There were media outlets in Canada reporting about sterilization and other medical abuses going on in China. We are constantly advised that Americas healthcare system is such a poor system.

Meanwhile in Canada we euthanized 10,000 people in 2021, many with disabilities even psychological in nature and our media remains focused on the important fact about all of these premature deaths: how much money we save!

I'm not suggesting there aren't valid reasons a person would pursue such a dire, final path, this is probably morphing into something different than what most Canadians expected.

Last edited:
As I often do when an issue makes the news, I do some digging about where we are morally.

There were media outlets in Canada reporting about sterilization and other medical abuses going on in China. We are constantly advised that Americas healthcare system is such a poor system.

Meanwhile in Canada we euthanized 10,000 people in 2021, many with disabilities even psychological in nature and our media remains focused on the important fact about all of these premature deaths: how much money we save!

I'm not suggesting there aren't valid reasons a person would pursue such a dire, final path, this is probably morphing into something different than what most Canadians expected.

Euthanasia and abortion: Bookend extermination tools of Marxism. The devaluation of human life.

It’s the old slippery slope thing. Once you allow the option of medically assisted death, it could get out of control. It does appear the elite would like to greatly reduce the world’s population, based on things they’ve said.

However, I believe medically induced death occurs in the US often. Doctors merely subscribe heavy doses of pain killers, which sometimes kill the patient.

Doctors told us not to withhold water from my FIL, when he was near death. He was 99 years old. They said he’ll be gone quickly, but he wasn’t. He suffered for several days before death.

Medically assisted death occurs every single day in America.
It just isn't called that. They call it "keeping the patient comfortable"
Better known as Morphine drip.
Small amounts of morphine helps dying patients breath easier.
Larger amounts given is called "hastened death"... considered humane and acceptable. I totally agree.
This action is highly contested in the medical field where many say it does not make patients die sooner, which is ridiculous.
It is essentially how my father died in 2017. He had brain cancer. Was in terrible shape towards the end. To the point of torture.
We all agreed to allow them to "make him comfortable". He never woke up, and died within 24 hours.
This happens all the time. And it is completely acceptable.

The question isn't about the process itself, it is HOW decisions are being made, to whom and the focus on saving money.

God forbid I may be in such a situation myself someday. I don't want it made for me, nor encouraged. Just because my value is no longer evident, doesn't mean the state should focus on promoting this, especially when I have saved the province hundreds of thousands throughout my life by NOT going to hospitals or even doctors. I've seen my doctor once in approximately the last 10 years or so for example.

Knock on wood. Many of course don't have a choice, I get that. We should not as a society push the death of 20 year olds and such because we have mismanaged money for decades.

Make no mistake about it, I live here, I see the security apparatus costs among many, I read the comments and read the tea leaves. This is as much about saving money as it is compassion and having one make their own decisions.

Last edited:
The question isn't about the process itself, it is HOW decisions are being made, to whom and the focus on saving money.

God forbid I may be in such a situation myself someday. I don't want it made for me, nor encouraged. Just because my value is no longer evident, doesn't mean the state should focus on promoting this, especially when I have cost the province hundreds of thousands throughout my life by NOT going to hospitals or even doctors. I've seen my doctor once in approximately the last 10 years or so for example.

Knock on wood. Many of course don't have a choice, I get that. We should not as a society push the death of 20 year olds and such because we have mismanaged money for decades.

Make no mistake about it, I live here, I see the security apparatus costs among many, I read the comments and read the tea leaves. This is as much about saving money as it is compassion and having one make their own decisions.
If it is the patients choice, that is the key for me.
One of the last cognitive discussions I had with my Dad was about Mom. They had a nice sizeable amount in the bank, everything paid for and he didn't want his medical bills to take it all away just to keep him breathing for a couple weeks.
In America we have the opposite problem. Medical establishments draining people's bank accounts keeping patients on life support where there is no chance of survival at $1000s and $1000s a day.

slippery slop
bringoutyourdeadmontypythonldssldhldh.jpg

It’s the old slippery slope thing. Once you allow the option of medically assisted death, it could get out of control. It does appear the elite would like to greatly reduce the world’s population, based on things they’ve said.

However, I believe medically induced death occurs in the US often. Doctors merely subscribe heavy doses of pain killers, which sometimes kill the patient.

Doctors told us not to withhold water from my FIL, when he was near death. He was 99 years old. They said he’ll be gone quickly, but he wasn’t. He suffered for several days before death.
There is always the risk of sliding down the slippery slope with legislation like assisted suicide. I believe there should be such a law but written with VERY STRICT CRITERION and only in those cases with no hope of recovery.

Forum List

Back