maybe we should do what President Jefferson did RE the Bible..

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
He cut out (not sure if he did that literally) Jesus's comments and left everything else

It looks like an interesting project

Even so, I accept all that is written...

That's interesting.

If they had them, he could have read a red letter edition of the bible that has the words of Jesus in red. I grew up with them, and I much prefer them.

I'm sure it would be easy to scan the pages in and auto delete everything not in red. It would be an interesting book. Maybe it already exists?

Wonderment to me is the founders that read the bible and still were able to justify enslaving their fellows who were created in the image of God. Jefferson repeatedly raped an under-age slave girl. Not sure which words of Jesus he had in mind while doing that.

He cut out (not sure if he did that literally) Jesus's comments and left everything else

It looks like an interesting project

Even so, I accept all that is written...
False. He eliminated those passages that attest to Jesus' divinity, including instances of the miraculous.

What did the Founding Fathers think?

Noah Webster, the Father of American Education and author of Webster’s Dictionary of 1828, had this to say about the Bible in schools:

“In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government ought to be instructed.”
In addition to Webster’s quote, he also defined the word Education as:

“EDUCATION, n. The bringing up, as of a child; instruction; formation of manners. Education comprehends all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefulness in their future stations. To give children a good education in manners, arts and science, is important; to give them a religious education is indispensable; and an immense responsibility rests on parents and guardians who neglect these duties.” [Emphasis added]
Fischer Ames who is considered the author of the First Amendment supported the Bible in public education.

“[Why] should not the Bible regain the place it once held as a schoolbook? Its morals are pure, its examples captivating and noble. The reverence for the Sacred Book that is thus early impressed lasts long; and probably if not impressed in infancy, never takes firm hold of the mind.”
Ames also said this:

“We have a dangerous trend beginning to take place in our education. We’re starting to put more and more textbooks into our schools. … We’ve become accustomed of late to putting little books in the hands of children containing fables with moral lessons. We are spending less time in the classroom on the Bible, which should be the principle text in our schools. The Bible states these great moral lessons better than any other manmade book.”
Benjamin Rush, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, and physician also defended the Bible in schools.

“If we were to remove the Bible from public schools, we would be wasting so much time punishing crimes and taking so little pains to prevent them.”

Wonderment to me is the founders that read the bible and still were able to justify enslaving their fellows who were created in the image of God. Jefferson repeatedly raped an under-age slave girl. Not sure which words of Jesus he had in mind while doing that.
All that is done today in the Muslim world, justified by those who do it as being permitted by the Koran.

All that is done today in the Muslim world, justified by those who do it as being permitted by the Koran.
I agree.

Muslims have a right to practice their religion in the United States. But, I have a right to say that none but Satan could have thought of a religion so vile and hate-filled.

I agree.

Muslims have a right to practice their religion in the United States. But, I have a right to say that none but Satan could have thought of a religion so vile and hate-filled.
I agree.

But I'd also like to point out that whatever flaws the Founders had, they built a system that could be improved. The United States made slavery illegal. We made civil rights apply to everyone.

That's interesting.

If they had them, he could have read a red letter edition of the bible that has the words of Jesus in red. I grew up with them, and I much prefer them.

I'm sure it would be easy to scan the pages in and auto delete everything not in red. It would be an interesting book. Maybe it already exists?

Red letter edition refies what a dead son of a non-existent entity supposedly said. It's interesting if one is into illusions.

I agree.

Along the same lines, the mental disease, christianity, is the world's #1 relitgion for the ability to secrete atheism from within its ranks.

The syllabus includes Shults, Iconoclastic Theology: Gilles Deleuze and The Secretion of Atheism.

That's interesting.

I have a red letter Bible.

I agree.

You have a right to be ignorant and hateful.

To which of my statements is that question directed?
Honestly, I don't know, daveman. I don't even remember making that statement. I have my criticisms of the constitution, but your statements were not wrong.

Question withdrawn with apologies.

That's interesting.

sally Hemmings? I didn'tknow she was under age. but I have had the same thought... (your last sentence)

pretty bad... what he did... allegedly did

Forum List

Back