Massive 832-pound Bluefin Tuna was caught off Destin, Florida, potential new state record

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
On the morning of Easter Sunday, an 832.2-pound Bluefin Tuna was brought back to the Destin Harbor by the No Name (boat).

Captain Jake Matney, along with deck mates Jett Tolbert and Devin Sarver, had a 4.5 hour fight on their hands. The crew was 160 miles southwest of Destin-Fort Walton Beach.

img_6238.jpg

The current state record for Bluefin Tuna is 826-pounds by Rick Whitley in May of 2017. That Bluefin Tuna was also caught off the Destin-Fort Walton Beach coast.

Massive 832-pound Bluefin Tuna was caught off Destin, Florida, potential new state record

That's a lot of grilled tuna.

On the morning of Easter Sunday, an 832.2-pound Bluefin Tuna was brought back to the Destin Harbor by the No Name (boat).

Captain Jake Matney, along with deck mates Jett Tolbert and Devin Sarver, had a 4.5 hour fight on their hands. The crew was 160 miles southwest of Destin-Fort Walton Beach.

img_6238.jpg

The current state record for Bluefin Tuna is 826-pounds by Rick Whitley in May of 2017. That Bluefin Tuna was also caught off the Destin-Fort Walton Beach coast.

Depending on quality of meat. 30k to 40k worth. I have always wanted to go blue fin fishing. I have a cop friend here in town that is originally from Hawaii. He is two years from retirement and plans to bluefin fish after he retires. God willing I will spend my winters doing that with him in a few years. Walleye and perch charters in the summer bluefin in the winter. Sounds like a good life to me.

LOL....My old doctor owned a boat in FL (tax write off) and he would go down once a year and fish for Bluefin.

He brought back pics one year and showed them to us when he brought us over some Tuna.....In one pic about all it was was a tuna head and maybe a foot back from the pectoral fins just bloody shards.....The sharks took the rest.

Sorta looked like this Yellowfin but without the tail.

OIP.R9vrRFsCE4JCDOyqdWbBPQHaGV

img_6238.jpg

IIRC I heard somewhere or the other that often these record tuna fishes get bought at a premium for scientific research.

One of my brothers caught a pretty decent size yellowfin once but I was done after about a fish filet sized portion. It is super dense like shark and swordfish.

IIRC I heard somewhere or the other that often these record tuna fishes get bought at a premium for scientific research.

One of my brothers caught a pretty decent size yellowfin once but I was done after about a fish filet sized portion. It is super dense like shark and swordfish.
Yea and it's rich as hell too, a little goes a long way.....I prefer it grilled.

Yea and it's rich as hell too, a little goes a long way.....I prefer it grilled.
I prefer cod or an occasional trout. I recall someone pondering why tuna is always shredded in a can. I told them if you ever eat a tuna steak, you will prefer it shredded in a can because the steaks sit so heavy in your stomach.

Forum List

Back