Markey threatens to pack Supreme Court, abolish filibuster if Trump fills seat

The number isn't going to change.
You may be right, but the number has changed before and it can be changed again.

FDR tried it to increase it to 15.

failed miserably
If Biden wins and the Dems hold the house and take back the senate, then Biden and his handlers may be able to do what FDR couldn't. On top of that, Trump filling RBG's seat will certainly be motivation for the dems to pack the court.
Trump has filled over 300 court vacancies... they were planning on doing it anyway. And not just SCOTUS.

Trump should fill this vacancy. Conservatives and moderates that want a stable court will back him in the election. This is a Trump WIN/WIN as democrats were already planning to destroy the US is short order.

You may be right, but the number has changed before and it can be changed again.

failed miserably
If Biden wins and the Dems hold the house and take back the senate, then Biden and his handlers may be able to do what FDR couldn't. On top of that, Trump filling RBG's seat will certainly be motivation for the dems to pack the court.

If Biden wins and the Dems hold the house and take back the senate, then Biden and his handlers may be able to do what FDR couldn't.

Seriously doubt that will happen

If Democrats take the Senate, on day 1 of their opening in Jan of 2021, their first order should be a revote on Impeachment & impeach that fat assed piece of shit Trump. Whether he wins or not.

Didn't some in the Dem Party promise to do this as they were running for the nomination?

A leading Democrat in the U.S. Senate came out in support of "packing" the U.S. Supreme Court and eliminating the Senate filibuster if Majority Leader Mitch McConnell works to confirm a potential nominee to fill the seat left by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Ginsburg died Friday at 87 after a difficult battle with metastatic pancreatic cancer.

Nine justices have served on the nation's highest court since 1869. Before that, the number of justices changed six times, with the maximum number being 10 during the Civil War.

The filibuster is a threshold of 60 votes that's necessary before a piece of legislation is given an up or down vote.

"Mitch McConnell set the precedent," Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., wrote from his campaign's Twitter account Friday. "No Supreme Court vacancies filled in an election year. If he violates it, when Democrats control the Senate in the next Congress, we must abolish the filibuster and expand the Supreme Court."

Markey did not detail how many justices he would like to see appointed.

Another Democrat loss, more Democrat butt-hurt.

failed miserably
Trump has filled over 300 court vacancies... they were planning on doing it anyway. And not just SCOTUS.

Trump should fill this vacancy. Conservatives and moderates that want a stable court will back him in the election. This is a Trump WIN/WIN as democrats were already planning to destroy the US is short order.
I do not disagree.

failed miserably

If Biden wins and the Dems hold the house and take back the senate, then Biden and his handlers may be able to do what FDR couldn't.

Seriously doubt that will happen
It's a longshot. I agree. I lived through ObamaCare being passed when the dems controlled congress and the presidency, so I believe this could happen too, but lots of things have to fall in place.

If Trump fills this vacancy and the left decides to riot more, they will lose everything. I'm not so sure these folks have thought this thing through... Trump should fill this vacancy... let the left self destruct..

Didn't some in the Dem Party promise to do this as they were running for the nomination?

A leading Democrat in the U.S. Senate came out in support of "packing" the U.S. Supreme Court and eliminating the Senate filibuster if Majority Leader Mitch McConnell works to confirm a potential nominee to fill the seat left by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Ginsburg died Friday at 87 after a difficult battle with metastatic pancreatic cancer.

Nine justices have served on the nation's highest court since 1869. Before that, the number of justices changed six times, with the maximum number being 10 during the Civil War.

The filibuster is a threshold of 60 votes that's necessary before a piece of legislation is given an up or down vote.

"Mitch McConnell set the precedent," Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., wrote from his campaign's Twitter account Friday. "No Supreme Court vacancies filled in an election year. If he violates it, when Democrats control the Senate in the next Congress, we must abolish the filibuster and expand the Supreme Court."

The Republicans want to play dirty pool then so be it. McConnell would do the same thing. I voted for Ronald Reagan and I don't recognize the Republican Party today. It has no honor. McConnell is just as responsible for Trump. The best thing to do would be to add 2 justices so you don't have a 5-5 decision.

The Republicans want to play dirty pool then so be it. McConnell would do the same thing. I voted for Ronald Reagan and I don't recognize the Republican Party today. It has no honor. McConnell is just as responsible for Trump. The best thing to do would be to add 2 justices so you don't have a 5-5 decision.
Do you recognize the Democrat Party of today? Its not the party it was during JFK or even during Bill Clinton.

We used to have at least an illusion of diplomacy also.
You Progs are so full of yourselves that it is not the movement to the left that you worry about. It is the speed to the left that we are moving in that worries you. Promoting death, destruction and carnage has now been validated.

You respect nothing traditional that is good. I am just warning you. A reset always occurs in civilizations when the insane go to far. The winnings are never good enough and given time to grow a foundation. Then they lose it all.

God Bless America

What dirty pool? We have the Senate. You're fucked pal.

The fact that they are even talking about it means they are going to try to do it one way or another. The idea that they would use restraint otherwise is totally laughable.

Jo

We used to have at least an illusion of diplomacy also.
Yep, now we get constant threats from Dimwingers.

Remember Garland. I hope McConnell and tramp do want to to confirm one, its a sure vote for Biden.
As I remember in 2016 at about 5:00AM Penelope I said "sorry for Hillary loss" and you had a bet with someone over Icon names. You are going to lose again.

Some democrats are now touting packing the court.

Hope the realize it would be the end of the nation.

There is nothing, but nothing, that stops Trump from legally appointing RBG's replacement.

The democrats have been sore losers from the start.

I might have considered supporting holding off, after thinking about it a while.

But when this shit starts.....you can forget it.

There is nothing, but nothing, that stops Trump from legally appointing RBG's replacement.

I might have considered supporting holding off, after thinking about it a while.

You have already packed the courts...you know, all those vacancies you blocked Obama from filling that you have now stuffed?

Stop lying.

You have already packed the courts...you know, all those vacancies you blocked Obama from filling that you have now stuffed?

Stop lying.
"Elections have consequences"-Barry Hussein Obama.

Forum List

Back