Manafort Trial Judge Taunts And Torments Mueller Team: ‘Tears In Your Eyes’

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Pass the popcorn!

One of the most highly talked about cases of the year is taking place inside Judge T.S. Ellis’ courtroom – and he’s making sure Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team knows it.

Mueller’s team has leveled multiple charges of tax and bank fraud against Paul Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign manager, particularly pertaining to his political work in Ukraine.

But while Manafort is the one on trial, the prosecution has often been on the receiving end of Ellis’ rebukes. The judge has lashed out at them for a variety of alleged missteps, from how they address him to how they’ve sought to portray the defendant.

Ellis has also cautioned the team about the high bar set for conviction; prosecutors have to prove Manafort knowingly violated bank and tax laws related to his political work overseas.

Here’s a look at some of the more colorful comments Ellis has directed toward Mueller’s team and key witnesses.

Ellis seemed to suggest a prosecutor was so discouraged he was crying in his courtroom.

“I understand how frustrated you are. In fact, there’s tears in your eyes right now,” Ellis said Monday, according to a Bloomberg-obtained transcript.

When the prosecutor, Greg Andres, denied Ellis’ claim, the judge said, “Well, they’re watery.”

EVERYTHING TO KNOW ABOUT MUELLER’S RUSSIA INVESTIGATION

Before the exchange, Ellis had rebuked Andres for not looking at him while he was talking.

“Look at me! Don’t look down,” Ellis said.

When Andres said he was looking at a document, Ellis said “that’s B.S.”

And on Wednesday, Ellis chastised Andres again for how he speaks to him. At one point, Andres responded with a simple “yea.”

“Be careful about that, this is not an informal proceeding,” Ellis warned.

In May, Ellis accused Mueller’s team of caring more about a Trump impeachment than prosecuting Manafort for alleged crimes. He also suggested the team was seeking “unfettered power” in its investigation.

“You don’t really care about Mr. Manafort,” Ellis said during the preliminary hearing. “You really care about what information Mr. Manafort can give you to lead you to Mr. Trump and an impeachment, or whatever.”

Ellis also questioned the scope of the investigation, saying, “We don’t want anyone with unfettered power.”

Manafort trial Judge TS Ellis taunts and torments Mueller team: 'Tears in your eyes'

The arrogant judge realized he was being unfair, and apologized for his behavior.

The arrogant judge realized he was being unfair, and apologized for his behavior.

His fingers were crossed under the desk.

Could be. That particular judge is known for being an insulting ass. He has been known to be a total dick to prosecution and defense attorneys depending on the mood he was in. Evidently, he realized he went too far, and apologized to the prosecution and to the jury. I'm not sure if that will make up for his obvious incompetence.

Could be. That particular judge is known for being an insulting ass. He has been known to be a total dick to prosecution and defense attorneys depending on the mood he was in. Evidently, he realized he went too far, and apologized to the prosecution and to the jury. I'm not sure if that will make up for his obvious incompetence.

Circuses need a ring master.

Circuses need a ring master.

He's certainly displayed his qualifications to join the circus. I hear they always have room for another clown.

It is looking bad for Manafort

Even with the judge in his corner, the evidence is overwhelming

I expect the judge to be reprimanded after this one

The judge sees this for what it is............tax evasion from 2005 ...............hmmmm..........the election was when with Russia Russia Russia.............

Forum List

Back