Man Smokes, Dies Of Cancer, Wife Sues Tobacco Company, Gets Rich

A man smokes a product with a label that says Cigarettes have been known to cause cancer

Can't reward him for his own arrogance

This case was from a 1997 Death and I don't think the labels had that back then, which is the basis for the case.

Still silly to assume he somehow didn't know as of the 1990's that smoking causes cancer, jeeze.

Warnings have been on cigarettes since 1965

CDC - Surgeon General's Reports - 2000 - Warning Labels - Smoking & Tobacco Use

$25 BILLION she won, because the tobacco company are somehow responsible for her idiot husband smoking himself to death. Apparently, the company didn't tell smokers that smoking can kill you.

And now the floodgates have opened, people...

A CIGARETTE giant in the US has vowed to fight a jury verdict ordering the company to pay $25.5 billion in punitive damages to Cynthia Robinson, the widow of a longtime smoker who died of lung cancer.

Yesterday, a Florida jury ordered tobacco company RJ Reynolds to pay the sum, in addition to more than $17 million in compensation to the estate of Michael Johnson Sr, after 15 hours of deliberations. It’s the largest verdict for a plaintiff in state history and sends a strong message to Big Tobacco that could open the floodgates for further claims.

During the four-week trial lawyers for Cynthia Robinson argued RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco and thus led to her late husband Johnson contracting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. They said Johnson had become “addicted” to cigarettes and failed multiple attempts to quit smoking.

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company ordered to pay Cynthia Robinson $25 billion in damages after husband dies of lung cancer | News.com.au

How about some personal responsibility, folks? Its been known for years that smoking is dangerous, yet people continue to do it!
People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Liberal crybaby's don't get that point.

Where does it say anywhere that he was a liberal?

I suspect otherwise

A man smokes a product with a label that says Cigarettes have been known to cause cancer

Can't reward him for his own arrogance

This case was from a 1997 Death and I don't think the labels had that back then, which is the basis for the case.

Still silly to assume he somehow didn't know as of the 1990's that smoking causes cancer, jeeze.

Warnings have been on cigarettes since 1965

CDC - Surgeon General's Reports - 2000 - Warning Labels - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Cynthia Robinson argued RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco and thus led to her late husband Johnson contracting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. They said Johnson had become “addicted” to cigarettes and failed multiple attempts to quit smoking.

“RJ Reynolds took a calculated risk by manufacturing cigarettes and selling them to consumers without properly informing them of the hazards,”

Anything done in moderation is fairly harmless. However, people don't know how to moderate. Some folks discover something that they like and they overdo it to the max. Just taking Tylenol while drinking can cause permanent damage to your liver. Taking too much Motrin can damage your kidneys.

You're just trying to lie to yourself so you can keep smoking.

If it were "fairly harmless", there would not be cases of people getting cancer from second hand smoke.

My sister died last week of lung cancer - a miserable way to go. She adored her grand daughter and yet smoked around her from her birth, as do the child's parents and uncle. The child, age 11, now has early symptoms of COPD, which they all say has nothing to do with being around so many heavy smokers.

$25 BILLION she won, because the tobacco company are somehow responsible for her idiot husband smoking himself to death. Apparently, the company didn't tell smokers that smoking can kill you.

A CIGARETTE giant in the US has vowed to fight a jury verdict ordering the company to pay $25.5 billion in punitive damages to Cynthia Robinson, the widow of a longtime smoker who died of lung cancer.

Yesterday, a Florida jury ordered tobacco company RJ Reynolds to pay the sum, in addition to more than $17 million in compensation to the estate of Michael Johnson Sr, after 15 hours of deliberations. It’s the largest verdict for a plaintiff in state history and sends a strong message to Big Tobacco that could open the floodgates for further claims.

During the four-week trial lawyers for Cynthia Robinson argued RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco and thus led to her late husband Johnson contracting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. They said Johnson had become “addicted” to cigarettes and failed multiple attempts to quit smoking.

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company ordered to pay Cynthia Robinson $25 billion in damages after husband dies of lung cancer | News.com.au

How about some personal responsibility, folks? Its been known for years that smoking is dangerous, yet people continue to do it!

Disagree.

There's also the principle of corporate responsibility, where businesses that knowingly sell unsafe goods and services can be held accountable for their wanton disregard for public safety.

Well as a smoker I can tell ya nobody is putting a gun to my head to smoke.

Its a personal choice and yes I know its not healthy but I decide what I do in my life not some company or anyone.

They've had warnings on tobacco for decades. No way should anyone make money on a lawsuit. because someone made a personal choice to smoke. Its bullshit plus.

Disagree.

There's also the principle of corporate responsibility, where businesses that knowingly sell unsafe goods and services can be held accountable for their wanton disregard for public safety.
What about agencies that knowningly make a profit off of these unsafe products? The same agency that refuses to outlaw these unsafe products for greed.

One guess who I am talking about.

Like women taking personal responsibility, and paying for their own birth control?

And we still pay tobacco subsidies -

10451850_10152260730651275_249291396550797072_n_zps6b801b65.jpg

Like women taking personal responsibility, and paying for their own birth control?

Instead of trying to derail this thread, if you want to discuss that LIE, start a new thread.

Instead of trying to derail this thread, if you want to discuss that LIE, start a new thread.

What lie?

This is a payday for trial lawyers who will get at least half. The amount is ludicrous and will likely be nullified if the judge has an ounce of brains.

Who can sit on a jury, other than people who would be watching television otherwise? Great pool.

Smoking anything was that man's decision. He wasn't forced, so why should anyone have to pay that woman anything?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Well hell. I guess I should light up my cig and ponder the possibilities of getting some money for myself due to my idiocy.

Hmmm. Puff. Puff. Whooosh. Puff Puff whooosh.

I think I will go to zillow and look at huge houses for sale in Maui. Puff. Puff.

She'll never see a dime.
The award is to use a legal term, unconscionable.

The appeals will go on forever.

Forum List

Back