Man Smokes, Dies Of Cancer, Wife Sues Tobacco Company, Gets Rich

That reward is ridiculous, but the tobacco should be sued. I have a friend with COPD from second hand smoke. He should sue the smokers & tobacco companies. The smokers that caused his illness are all dead now, but their estates should pay, along with the tobacco companies & Congress members who protected them. Just imagine how much this is costing us through our healthcare system.

Aww come on now...The COPD person had every opportunity to avoid things they deemed hazardous.
Plus, your friend has a very steep climb to the level of "burden of proof"..

I am trying to decide what I should get addicted to in order to sue.

What do you think? Alcohol, or are drugs the way to go these days?

Go for a new category: Caffeine addiction. it ruined your life, right? Then you can file suit against Starbucks, Nesspresso, et. al... the big boys.....Good luck!

:lol:

Go for the trifecta Noomi.

Cigarettes, pot, and alcohol. If you're still alive in 20 years, you ought to be able to sue for many millions.

Tanning beds.

Whether in a courtroom or a casket, one has to look good nowadays.

th

Cigarettes, pot, and alcohol. If you're still alive in 20 years, you ought to be able to sue for many millions.

Only problem there is, not only is cannabis not addictive but even if it were, no one "makes" it so there's no one to sue.

Only problem there is, not only is cannabis not addictive but even if it were, no one "makes" it so there's no one to sue.

Move to Denver, then sue the state, the collectives, your enabling mother, and everyone else involved. The point is: get addicted, get some free cash!

Good times!!

People sell it and they do make it. It is made into candy, brownies, cookies, etc. Different strains are grown and modified to make a more potent strain.

Tobacco is also a plant, just like marijuana. Marijuana is addictive, may not be as addictive as getting over cigarettes, or alcohol ,but it does have a physiological and mental addictive qualities, even though there may only mild effects to the body if suddenly stopping. Additionally, addiction does not just have to be the need for something because your body needs it, it can be as simple as the feeling you need to have it. Addiction, can be a simple compulsive behavior -without physical need.

CaféAuLait;9486520 said:

People sell it and they do make it. It is made into candy, brownies, cookies, etc. Different strains are grown and modified to make a more potent strain.

Tobacco is also a plant, just like marijuana. Marijuana is addictive, may not be as addictive as getting over cigarettes, or alcohol ,but it does have a physiological and mental addictive qualities, even though there may only mild effects to the body if suddenly stopping. Additionally, addiction does not just have to be the need for something because your body needs it, it can be as simple as the feeling you need to have it. Addiction, can be a simple compulsive behavior -without physical need.

No, it's not. There are no physical effects whatsoever. And no, addictions cannot be simple compulsive behavior. And yes, addictions DO have to be the need for something because the body suffers.

Let's cut the bullshit; addictions are addictions; compulsive behavior is compulsive behavior; and they're two different things. Not that hard to follow really.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9486520 said:

No, it's not. There are no physical effects whatsoever.

Well, of course. Every study which has ever come out and stated there is a potential for addiction or people have become addicted is wrong. GMAB. Again, reread my post. addiction does not have to be physical, it can be compulsive behavior. And there are those who have as I said above experienced withdraw symptoms.

I know people who can pick up cigarettes and smoke only when out socially or every once in awhile. I never understood it, but they can and do. No, addiction. I also know some who used to do the same with cocaine, use it every once in awhile. Just because a drug has a potential for addiction does not mean everyone will become addicted. And just because Marijuana only has a potential for low addiction does not mean people don't become addicted.

Hell, even high times states there is potential , although low for addiction to marijuana. I guess they are lying too.

I know people can get addicted to pot. I know a person who hurt me immensely because of his addiction to marijuana. He ruined so much and lost so much because he needed to "wake and bake" daily and continued smoking till midnight, near daily, then rinse, lather repeat. His father had him in one rehab after another- all expensive ones because they had money. He never got better, he stole from relatives homes, me and he stole from work ( losing 2 jobs that I know of for theft) to feed his addiction and he did no other drugs. Jesus, he took my car and traded it for pot! No joke! I was able to recover it. It was a hell of a time in my life. He was addicted, period and a freaking asshole.

This case was from a 1997 Death and I don't think the labels had that back then, which is the basis for the case.

Still silly to assume he somehow didn't know as of the 1990's that smoking causes cancer, jeeze.

Warnings have been on cigarettes since 1965

CDC - Surgeon General's Reports - 2000 - Warning Labels - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Cynthia Robinson argued RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco and thus led to her late husband Johnson contracting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. They said Johnson had become “addicted” to cigarettes and failed multiple attempts to quit smoking.

“RJ Reynolds took a calculated risk by manufacturing cigarettes and selling them to consumers without properly informing them of the hazards,”

Doesn't matter what she thinks.

$25 BILLION she won, because the tobacco company are somehow responsible for her idiot husband smoking himself to death. Apparently, the company didn't tell smokers that smoking can kill you.

And now the floodgates have opened, people...

A CIGARETTE giant in the US has vowed to fight a jury verdict ordering the company to pay $25.5 billion in punitive damages to Cynthia Robinson, the widow of a longtime smoker who died of lung cancer.

Yesterday, a Florida jury ordered tobacco company RJ Reynolds to pay the sum, in addition to more than $17 million in compensation to the estate of Michael Johnson Sr, after 15 hours of deliberations. It’s the largest verdict for a plaintiff in state history and sends a strong message to Big Tobacco that could open the floodgates for further claims.

During the four-week trial lawyers for Cynthia Robinson argued RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco and thus led to her late husband Johnson contracting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. They said Johnson had become “addicted” to cigarettes and failed multiple attempts to quit smoking.

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company ordered to pay Cynthia Robinson $25 billion in damages after husband dies of lung cancer | News.com.au

How about some personal responsibility, folks? Its been known for years that smoking is dangerous, yet people continue to do it!

I don't agree with these verdicts: we know enough about the dangers of smoking to make our own decisions, and in the first world, all packs of cigarettes come with warnings. However, I believe that tobacco should be outlawed and tobacco companies put out of business. They are selling death and debilitating illness. They are selling an addictive poison. It needs to be outlawed.

Cynthia Robinson argued RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco and thus led to her late husband Johnson contracting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. They said Johnson had become “addicted” to cigarettes and failed multiple attempts to quit smoking.

“RJ Reynolds took a calculated risk by manufacturing cigarettes and selling them to consumers without properly informing them of the hazards,”

Doesn't matter what she thinks.

What the law says and what the jury thinks does matter, however.

In Mexico the warning labels are very graphic.

Women with mastectomies, cadaver lungs which are black, gum disease, tongue and jaws missing. All real photos- very large and in color. It's not just a few words on the side of the package but in your face on the front of the pack of smokes.

I think this should be done in the states too. Maybe it will have some think twice.

We are all going to die sometime. May as well enjoy the journey along the way.

CaféAuLait;9486592 said:
CaféAuLait;9486520 said:

No, it's not. There are no physical effects whatsoever.

Well, of course. Every study which has ever come out and stated there is a potential for addiction or people have become addicted is wrong. GMAB. Again, reread my post. addiction does not have to be physical, it can be compulsive behavior. And there are those who have as I said above experienced withdraw symptoms.

I know people who can pick up cigarettes and smoke only when out socially or every once in awhile. I never understood it, but they can and do. No, addiction. I also know some who used to do the same with cocaine, use it every once in awhile. Just because a drug has a potential for addiction does not mean everyone will become addicted. And just because Marijuana only has a potential for low addiction does not mean people don't become addicted.

Yes, it does mean physical. If compulsion meant the same thing we wouldn't need two terms to mean the same thing. That's slovenly language. It's trying to stretch a term far beyond its own boundaries. Don't start changing definitions in midstream; addiction means addiction, not compulsion; compulsion means compulsion, not addiction. Period. Cut the BS.

Forum List

Back