M240 on way out

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
Last edited:
Effective at ranges out to 2,000 meters, the SIG Sauer MG 338 machine gun has a greater range than the M240 platoon-level machine gun. It has a rate of fire of 600 pounds and is chambered in the hard-hitting .338 Norma Magnum (8.6x63mm) round, and yet it weighs in at just around 21 pounds. SIG Sauer MG 338 Machine Gun: Coming to U.S. Military? - 19FortyFive
Quite the upgrade and can also fire 7.62 NATO.

I'm certain it's a heavy bastard to hump as well. The military should have invested more research and development into caseless ammunition. I mean, I am all for greater ability to reach out touch someone with all small arms, but the .338 NM is overkill, both for the operator's shoulder and the Muji's torso it disintegrates. Still, it's pretty fucking cool . . . a moose hunting machine gun.

Effective at ranges out to 2,000 meters, the SIG Sauer MG 338 machine gun has a greater range than the M240 platoon-level machine gun. It has a rate of fire of 600 pounds and is chambered in the hard-hitting .338 Norma Magnum (8.6x63mm) round, and yet it weighs in at just around 21 pounds. SIG Sauer MG 338 Machine Gun: Coming to U.S. Military? - 19FortyFive

I'm certain it's a heavy bastard to hump as well. The military should have invested more research and development into caseless ammunition. I mean, I am all for greater ability to reach out touch someone with all small arms, but the .338 NM is overkill, both for the operator's shoulder and the Muji's torso it disintegrates. Still, it's pretty fucking cool . . . a moose hunting machine gun.
Weighs less than M240

Weighs less than M240

Right, but the ammo belts are gonna weigh way more, unless they're plastic link or something, carbon fiber?

I'm certain it's a heavy bastard to hump as well
Surely you don't have to be a dominant male homosexual in order to own a gun in America.
The military should have invested more research and development into caseless ammunition.
Without a case or cartridge, you are essentially limited to a black powder muzzleloader or musketball type of weapon from the Revolutionary or Civil War era.

The brass cases or cartridges are ejected automatically and become an “evidence” problem in automatic and semi-automatic rifles and pistols. Revolvers and bolt or lever action rifles avoid the automatically ejected brass evidence problem.

Will all those surplus M240s be showing up at the CMP's store anytime soon?

I wish. :laughing0301:

I've always loved Sig firearms.
My Sig AR has performed flawlessly without a single jam in well over 2k rounds.

Surely you don't have to be a dominant male homosexual in order to own a gun in America.
The military should have invested more research and development into caseless ammunition.
Without a case or cartridge, you are essentially limited to a black powder muzzleloader or musketball type of weapon from the Revolutionary or Civil War era.

The brass cases or cartridges are ejected automatically and become an “evidence” problem in automatic and semi-automatic rifles and pistols. Revolvers and bolt or lever action rifles avoid the automatically ejected brass evidence problem.

You're a fuckin idiot.
The brass cases are ejected automatically....well no shit ya dumbfuck!!! Should the soldiers pick em up and put em in their pocket?
Evidence problem? Do you think the enemy doesnt know who's shooting at them? This isnt a back alley robbery ya moron this is war.
You then contradict yourself by saying the military should look into caseless ammo and then state they would be limited to black powder and musket ball ammo all in one sentence.
No damn wonder the gov has listed you as a danger to society...you're a raging lunatic.

Incorrect, my soon to be fellow Alaskan. Modern caseless ammunition consists of a bullet embedded inside a block of solidified propellant. After the weapon fires nothing but propellant residue remains. Sometimes it is preferable to err on the side not pretending to know it all.

Caseless ammunition - Wikipedia

The Army’s next machine gun could fire caseless ammo — and one of these companies might build it

In the humble opinion of a former Marine, the mission of machine guns is to annihilate identified charging enemy. How a range of over a mile enhances the effectiveness of machine guns is anybody's guess.

Indirect suppressive fire or enfilade. Walk the rounds up to a target and then through it. The tradeoff for increased range for massively increased recoil just isn't worth it, moving up from 7.62x51mm NATO to a big game hunting round like the .338 NM. Where the larger round might shine is in material penetration, such as thin skinned vehicles, machine gun positions, etc.

In the humble opinion of a former Marine, the mission of machine guns is to annihilate identified charging enemy. How a range of over a mile enhances the effectiveness of machine guns is anybody's guess.

Indirect suppressive fire or enfilade. Walk the rounds up to a target and then through it. The tradeoff for increased range for massively increased recoil just isn't worth it, moving up from 7.62x51mm NATO to a big game hunting round like the .338 NM. Where the larger round might shine is in material penetration, such as thin skinned vehicles, machine gun positions, etc.
Indirect fire from a machine gun? Surely you have your weapon strategy confused.

Indirect fire from a machine gun? Surely you have your weapon strategy confused.

There's a lot of truth to that.
They use indirect fire to keep the heads down of an enemy they cant see all the time.
They'll unload on a suspected target or area that they believe is likely to be where the firing is coming from whether they know for sure or not.

Yes, affirmative—indirect fire from a squad machine gun. Movement under indirect covering fire was, at least until I left the US Army last year—still a common squad combat tactic.

Where the fuck you getting your orders from after a dishonorable discharge like that?
Incorrect, my soon to be fellow Alaskan. Modern caseless ammunition consists of a bullet embedded inside a block of solidified propellant. After the weapon fires nothing but propellant residue remains. Sometimes it is preferable to err on the side not pretending to know it all.
You ex-military bedfellows are smoking something.
That shit is old. It's factory-authorized only. Engineered to be non-reloadable and unobtainable by civilians, whereas brass cartridges are reloadable and rechargeable with any obtainable smokeless gunpowder, and any bullet that may be cast in a mold.
That sounds more like a firing squad at court-martial than anything else. Boy, are fellows getting into heavy duty crime.

Yes, affirmative—indirect fire from a squad machine gun. Movement under indirect covering fire was, at least until I left the US Army last year—still a common squad combat tactic.

I can't speak about the M240 but I can for the M60. And I can't speak out what happens in the field but I can speak out what happens during an overrun attempt. We might have 6 people armed with lots of ammo boxes and 6 M-16s and one person with a M-60 with a person doubling as a loader and wielding his portion of the M-16 stash. Our job was to keep the enemy off the M-60s back. Considering that we could not actually see the enemy but knew they were there, we fired into the darkness. But we all knew the real killing was done by that single M-60. I don't see the M-240 or it's replacement as any different.

I can't speak about the M240 but I can for the M60. And I can't speak out what happens in the field but I can speak out what happens during an overrun attempt. We might have 6 people armed with lots of ammo boxes and 6 M-16s and one person with a M-60 with a person doubling as a loader and wielding his portion of the M-16 stash. Our job was to keep the enemy off the M-60s back. Considering that we could not actually see the enemy but knew they were there, we fired into the darkness. But we all knew the real killing was done by that single M-60. I don't see the M-240 or it's replacement as any different.
Ex-military assholes keep playing all those dirty tricks on me. You fuckers keep pushing the envelope what you can get away with in a lawless jurisdiction outside official command and control. You sound like you're getting your orders straight from the White House outside the normal military chain of command now. It's all DNC and City Hall anymore.

Ex-military assholes keep playing all those dirty tricks on me. You fuckers keep pushing the envelope what you can get away with in a lawless jurisdiction outside official command and control. You sound like you're getting your orders straight from the White House outside the normal military chain of command now. It's all DNC and City Hall anymore.

I do? You mean I now MUST go out and qualify to own a M60 or M240 just so what you say would be true? I wonder if I can mount one on my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. It does have a sun roof.

I do? You mean I now MUST go out and qualify to own a M60 or M240 just so what you say would be true? I wonder if I can mount one on my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. It does have a sun roof.
The average city cop can and will shoot me deader than a doornail just for talking about it.

Forum List

Back