Louisiana' AG claims state emergency powers - tells Army Corps to go fuck themselves

I just returned from a La National Guard function in New Orleans. Although unrelated to the oil spill the Adjutant General of the Guard gave a quick summary with a few slides of what the Guard is doing in filling the breaks between the off shore sand barriers and such.

So the Guard is busy trying to keep the oil from the wetlands, but the spill is getting too big too fast and there is so much work to do.

He did mention a lot of Corps of Engineers involvement and work distribution. A slow moving engine this bureaucracy.

An error occurred | Movable Type Enterprise
Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell sent a letter to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sundayadvising them that the State of Louisiana was within its rights to rebuild barrier islands in order to combat the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Caldwell advised Lt. Gen. Robert L. Van Antwerp, commanding general of the Corps, that under the U.S. constitution the federal government does not have the legal authority to deny a state the right to conduct such emergency operations to protect its citizens and territory.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I can just imagine how anxious Louisianaeans must be to get told what to do AGAIN by the Army Corps of Engineers. It should have been a letter announcing Caldwell was beginning an investigation into the competence of whichever licensing board awarded Engineering licenses to these dolts.

I am so sorry this is still happening, SpidermanTuba. And with Hurricane Season on us again. Poor Louisiana.

The snail's pace response of the Feds on this matter is unnacceptable.

Good on Lousiana for simply proceeding with whatever protective measures they can now muster at this late stage.

I was watching Brett Baere last night and this was one of the topics for the panel.

The way I understand it is that Jindal is upset because the EPA wants to "study" the environmental impact of dredging the sand up the try to protect the shoreline. He's also upset because he request the Fed to help getting the booms so that they could protect the shoreline.

This is the same EPA that went ahead and spread thousands of gallons of chemicals in the Gulf to break the oil down. This was done with no study to see the long term effects of this chemical on the residents of the Gulf or the marine life. LA officials asked them not to do this but they did it anyway.

The Govt doesn't have the expertise it would take to do the job of stopping the leak. The Oil companies have been drilling miles below the surface for decades. They are the obvious choice to stop the leak.

Once the spill is stopped then the Govt can be there to assist in the clean up.

Jeeze.

Typical of Obama's admin. thinking they know better than the rest of America when in reality they are incompetent at everytrhing they do. If they offered to help[ me I would run the opposite direction...fast!

Does anyone know why the Army Corps of Engineers won't approve rebuilding the barrier islands?

Has anyone seen any interviews?

It's possible that there is a good reason.

I certainly don't know enough about the issue to even guess, but you'd think that the news media would be all over this.

Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell sent a letter to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sundayadvising them that the State of Louisiana was within its rights to rebuild barrier islands in order to combat the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Caldwell advised Lt. Gen. Robert L. Van Antwerp, commanding general of the Corps, that under the U.S. constitution the federal government does not have the legal authority to deny a state the right to conduct such emergency operations to protect its citizens and territory.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:[/QUOTE]

Since the new changed Federal government can't be bothered with it's original mandate of protecting the states, it's a valid position. You wanted change, here's your sign.

Forum List

Back