Army to rename bases named after Confederate Generals

If they are going to start toppling statues, reviewing awards and renaming bases they ought to reconsider Douglas MacArthur. The guy was a phony from the time he was accused of withholding troops in a crucial offensive in WW1 to the phony MOH citation (the shortest one in the book) for abandoning his troops in WW2 to the ego trip in Korea that ended up in the biggest ambush in military history.

I know…

Anyhoo, I really do not have a problem renaming those bases and it should be done every fifty to hundred years to reflect history that has passed…
Neither do I. But I would like to see Pershing, Patton, and the GI's general Bradly go up. They were great generals, and all of them believed that the lingering institutional discrimination against the black soldier was a travesty.

Last edited:
Ft Bragg will become Ft Liberty

The panel has recommended that Fort Hood, Texas, be renamed after Richard E. Cavazos, the first Latino to reach the rank of a four-star general in the Army.

Fort Gordon, Georgia, will be renamed after Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Army general who led all allied forces in Europe during World War II and later became president.

Fort Lee, Virginia, will be named after two individuals: Arthur Gregg, a former three-star general involved in logistics -- the only living individual for whom a base will be named -- and Charity Adams, the first African-American woman to be an officer in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

Fort Pickett, Virginia, will be named after Van Barfoot, who received the Medal of Honor for his heroism during World War II and is of Native American descent.

Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia, will be renamed after Dr. Mary Walker, a physician and women's rights activist who received the Medal of Honor for her service during the Civil War.

Fort Benning, Georgia, will be renamed after Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, a pioneer in the Air Cavalry whose Vietnam-era story was memorialized in the book and movie, "We Were Soldiers."

Fort Rucker, Alabama, will be named after Michael Novosel, a Medal of Honor recipient who flew combat aircraft in World War II and the wars in Korea and Vietnam.

Fort Polk, Louisiana, will be renamed after William Henry Johnson, a soldier whose heroism in World War Two was not honored with the Medal of Honor until 2015.

Seems long overdue for the Army to stop naming its main bases after traitors who fought against our country

Would have liked to see Pershing, Patton, Bradly, Marshall, MacArthur have bases named after them
Why anyone would think it was a nifty idea to name U.S. military bases on U.S. soil for sworn enemies of the U.S. who fought against and killed U.S. troops is a mystery.

You may as well erect monuments to them on U.S. soil!

Neither do I. But I would like to see Pershing, Patton, and the GI's general Bradly go up. They were great generals, and all of them believed that the lingering institutional discrimination against the black soldier was a travesty.
... and they fought for the United Sates. They did not reject the Constitution of the United States and fight against it.

Why anyone would think it was a nifty idea to name U.S. military bases on U.S. soil for sworn enemies of the U.S. who fought against and killed U.S. troops is a mystery.

You may as well erect monuments to them on U.S. soil!
It was actually insulting to have so many Army bases named after Confederate Generals

Not something to be celebrated

How about naming one for General Joseph Wheeler? Who commanded American forces (including the "Rough Riders") in Cuba during the Spanish-American War?

He volunteered for that conflict at the age of 61, even surrendering his seat in Congress to go and fight.

Mushroom. he was a Confederate. That's a no-no.

He also served in the US Army. Twice.

In fact, he was Teddy Roosevelt's Commanding General in the Spanish-American War. Then commanded a Brigade under General Arthur MacArthur's Division in the Philippines. And when he attended the 100th Anniversary of West Point in 10-2, he raised a lot of eyebrows when he arrived in his US Army uniform, with his Major General rank (as opposed to his CSA uniform where he was a Lieutenant General).

For those that are ignorant of history, almost all Confederates were given amnesty, so long as they swore allegiance to the US. And Fighting Joe Wheeler not only did that, he served again in 2 more wars.

Some people simply can not ever let anything go. Must be a miserable life to live with so much hatred.

Sam Clemens also served in the Confederate Army. Should we burn all of his books also, and tear down any memorials made to him?

He also served in the US Army. Twice.

In fact, he was Teddy Roosevelt's Commanding General in the Spanish-American War. Then commanded a Brigade under General Arthur MacArthur's Division in the Philippines. And when he attended the 100th Anniversary of West Point in 10-2, he raised a lot of eyebrows when he arrived in his US Army uniform, with his Major General rank (as opposed to his CSA uniform where he was a Lieutenant General).

For those that are ignorant of history, almost all Confederates were given amnesty, so long as they swore allegiance to the US. And Fighting Joe Wheeler not only did that, he served again in 2 more wars.

Some people simply can not ever let anything go. Must be a miserable life to live with so much hatred.

Sam Clemens also served in the Confederate Army. Should we burn all of his books also, and tear down any memorials made to him?
Why did you assume I did not know this?

The woke Army doesn't care.

The woke Army doesn't care.

And in reality, the Army has little to nothing to do with this.

It is entirely in the hands of the DoD and politicians. Just like those 10,001 classes we have to take every year. Those mandates do not come from the "Army" itself, they are dictated to them by the DoD. Which is a civilian led and operated organization.

I admit, this is one thing I do find frustrating. If it was up to the Army, they would do it more like it was in the 1980s. Maybe have one or two such classes a year, not freaking endlessly taking them every damned month. I honestly never realized how bad it had gotten, until I realized that damned near every single Reserve drill I attended was nothing but endless classes, and the same damned ones every month. Because the DoD passed down some mandate that we all take them (especially when three sentences in the course changed so we had to take it again).

And if given a chance, my unit would have happily just pencil whipped such nonsense. But a lot of the "top level" in our unit were DoD civilians, so we could not even do that. More and more, I am of the belief that the DoD should be cut apart with a chainsaw. Having more than 1 civilian for every 2 on active duty is absolutely insane. And ultimately, I am believing that most of the problems with the military is the freaking DoD.

And here is the most amazing part of that segment. When one looks at the annual DoD budget, there is not one slice of that pie that talks about how much those civilians cost. In fact, I have been looking for years and never once found an actual breakdown of what the civilians in the DoD are paid each year, and where that money comes from. The closest I have been able to come was guesstimating, based on the fact that the average DoD civilian makes $47,655.67 per year.

Multiply that by 732,079 (the number of DoD civilians in 2018), and I come up with a staggering $34,887,725,237.93 per year. Almost $35 billion a year. The entire amount of pay and benefits for all of the military (and dependents, and retirement pay) is around $173 billion.

And that $35 billion is only an estimate, as I said I have yet to find anything that actually says how much the civilian side of the DoD is paid. That is not even in the DoD budget itself. And even when we have a large RIF in the size of the military, for some reason the civilian side never seems to shrink,

And in reality, the Army has little to nothing to do with this.

It is entirely in the hands of the DoD and politicians. Just like those 10,001 classes we have to take every year. Those mandates do not come from the "Army" itself, they are dictated to them by the DoD. Which is a civilian led and operated organization.

I admit, this is one thing I do find frustrating. If it was up to the Army, they would do it more like it was in the 1980s. Maybe have one or two such classes a year, not freaking endlessly taking them every damned month. I honestly never realized how bad it had gotten, until I realized that damned near every single Reserve drill I attended was nothing but endless classes, and the same damned ones every month. Because the DoD passed down some mandate that we all take them (especially when three sentences in the course changed so we had to take it again).

And if given a chance, my unit would have happily just pencil whipped such nonsense. But a lot of the "top level" in our unit were DoD civilians, so we could not even do that. More and more, I am of the belief that the DoD should be cut apart with a chainsaw. Having more than 1 civilian for every 2 on active duty is absolutely insane. And ultimately, I am believing that most of the problems with the military is the freaking DoD.

And here is the most amazing part of that segment. When one looks at the annual DoD budget, there is not one slice of that pie that talks about how much those civilians cost. In fact, I have been looking for years and never once found an actual breakdown of what the civilians in the DoD are paid each year, and where that money comes from. The closest I have been able to come was guesstimating, based on the fact that the average DoD civilian makes $47,655.67 per year.

Multiply that by 732,079 (the number of DoD civilians in 2018), and I come up with a staggering $34,887,725,237.93 per year. Almost $35 billion a year. The entire amount of pay and benefits for all of the military (and dependents, and retirement pay) is around $173 billion.

And that $35 billion is only an estimate, as I said I have yet to find anything that actually says how much the civilian side of the DoD is paid. That is not even in the DoD budget itself. And even when we have a large RIF in the size of the military, for some reason the civilian side never seems to shrink,
Mushroom, I normally love your well-informed, intelligent posts. However, this post got lost and just kept right on going! It has NOTHING to do with my post or the thread.

Mushroom, I normally love your well-informed, intelligent posts. However, this post got lost and just kept right on going! It has NOTHING to do with my post or the thread.

Is rather simple.

All those mandates and other nonsense are not from the Army, or any other branch of the military. It is dictated to them by civilians in the DoD.

Do not confuse the DoD with the military.

Is rather simple.

All those mandates and other nonsense are not from the Army, or any other branch of the military. It is dictated to them by civilians in the DoD.

Do not confuse the DoD with the military.
Austin was not an Army general before he became SECDEF?

My daughter is a Captain in the Army and you should hear the "woke" horror stories she tells me on an almost daily basis. With respect, you need to get current!

Forum List

Back