Louis XIV, France's Sun King

Watch out for those Roman numerals. Louis XIV was alleged to be quite the ballet star (maybe the sun queen?). Louis XVI was guillotined in 1793. Eccentric Brit scientist William Buckland was shown a part of the mummified heart of Louis XIV in 1848 which was encased in a silver locket and he promptly grabbed it, popped it into his mouth and swallowed it. No accounting for British taste.
Louis 16th helped the American Colonies become the USA.

For his trouble his people rebelled and guillotined him and his wife and imprisoned his son for life.

No good deed goes unpunished.
I think it was Louis XIV not XVI that helped the American colonies. It wasn't an entirely benevolent gesture though. France was in a constant war with England and anything the French monarchy could do to reduce England's influence was seen as a benefit.

Watch out for those Roman numerals. Louis XIV was alleged to be quite the ballet star (maybe the sun queen?). Louis XVI was guillotined in 1793. Eccentric Brit scientist William Buckland was shown a part of the mummified heart of Louis XIV in 1848 which was encased in a silver locket and he promptly grabbed it, popped it into his mouth and swallowed it. No accounting for British taste.

For his trouble his people rebelled and guillotined him and his wife and imprisoned his son for life.

I think it was Louis XIV not XVI that helped the American colonies. It wasn't an entirely benevolent gesture though. France was in a constant war with England and anything the French monarchy could do to reduce England's influence was seen as a benefit.

Louis XIV died in 1715.

Louis XIV enjoyed making war, a bit like Napoleon. Despite the enormous difference in personalities, both more or less considered themselves the embodiment of the State. Authoritarianism often looks the same despite the culture, era or person. War being very expensive, Louis' many escapades plunged France into financial problems that grew worse over time. When the enormous funding of the American War of National Liberation happened, economics dictated changes too big to be accommodated by the Ancien Régime. The Sun King's grandson was not up to the challenge and France missed the opportunity for a transition to a republican monarchy. Surrounded and invaded by historic enemies at the same time that it was evolving politically, France did not have the peaceful environment America did. The situation understandably deteriorated, Bonaparte rose to power, and Europe was forever changed.

Louis XVI of France - Wikipedia

Hi!

I'm interesting history of France a lot, because I've read a lot of Dumas books. Including "Three mushketers" and sequels, and also "A queen Margo" with sequels... But about Louis XIV, I think, we could read better in "Angelique", isn't it? :)

P.S. Also we could read some info about Louis XIV in books of Papus or some his colleagueaes - because some of Louis' girls were practitioning Black Magia and Satanism very widely... At least, books speak so :)
Seriously! "Angelique"!!! I have all eight of those books and have enjoyed re-reading the series often. So they publish "Angelique" in Russian?

Offcourse, it's a very popular book series in USSR. Every Russian older than 30 at least heared something about it :)
Ruskies have always been Francophiles.

Hi!

I'm interesting history of France a lot, because I've read a lot of Dumas books. Including "Three mushketers" and sequels, and also "A queen Margo" with sequels... But about Louis XIV, I think, we could read better in "Angelique", isn't it? :)

P.S. Also we could read some info about Louis XIV in books of Papus or some his colleagueaes - because some of Louis' girls were practitioning Black Magia and Satanism very widely... At least, books speak so :)
Seriously! "Angelique"!!! I have all eight of those books and have enjoyed re-reading the series often. So they publish "Angelique" in Russian?

Offcourse, it's a very popular book series in USSR. Every Russian older than 30 at least heared something about it :)
There may have been a hiatus around 1812 or so.

Hi!

It's logical, because France organized attack on Russia lesser times, than others :)))

Hi!

I think, results were more irritating to French :) And Crimean war and WWII also raise some questions to them :))))

Bonsoir, i présent one of the most glorius King of France ,a king that like war...and dance

View attachment 96701
Louis XIV dans le Ballet de la Nuit (1653)
10 mars 1661
While all expect it appoints a successor to Mazarin among them, he takes them all by surprise ... in short dismissing most of them permanently and announcing he will govern itself without naming Premier. Outside the princes, bishops, cardinals and marshals! It keeps with him a few secretaries of state.

Louis XIV - the Sun King: Biography
This guy was so obviously a faggot.
No, but is father was Louis X111.

I'm a fan of the 30 Years war era, mostly Richelieu, though, under Louis XIII. L the XIV was indeed much the grander and smarter King, no doubt.

But then again, those were hedonistic days...no uptight religious bigotry to worry about.

Meh, most times were hedonisitc; there is just a huge amount of old Protestant anti-Catholic 'Reformation' and 'Enlightenment' era propaganda left over that is still being repeated as fact but is just nonsense. You can dismiss most of it as rubbish, especially re the 'inquisitions' and 'witch burnings' fantasies.

Hi!

Referred to as Серебряный век (Silver Age).

But then again, those were hedonistic days...no uptight religious bigotry to worry about.

Meh, most times were hedonisitc; there is just a huge amount of old Protestant anti-Catholic 'Reformation' and 'Enlightenment' era propaganda left over that is still being repeated as fact but is just nonsense. You can dismiss most of it as rubbish, especially re the 'inquisitions' and 'witch burnings' fantasies.
The Inquisition and subsequent purging of "witches" and heretics was more a Spanish thing than French.

Whichever French monarch aided the U.S. Colonies there is no doubt that the intent was to do the most harm to it's historical enemy, England. There is no evidence that Louis was guillotined because he aided the fledgling America rather because of the decadence that had sustained every monarchy in Europe.

The Inquisition and subsequent purging of "witches" and heretics was more a Spanish thing than French.

According with statistic - witch hunt is more German thing than Spanish or French. French is famous of war between catholics and protestants... And Holy Inquisition was created as a responce for too many cases of witch-hunting histery. They not were an angels, but in facts, they REDUCE the quantity of witch burnings...

Hi!

Referred to as Серебряный век (Silver Age).

Referred to Silver Age of Russian Poetry? How it related? :-\

Louis XVI was beheaded because he betrayed his own nation by treating with its enemies. In general, he was beyond his intellectual capacities as head of a 'superpower' and made multiple strategic mistakes, economically as well as politically. This happens to great nations with disturbing regularity.

Hi!

Yup, also 1733, 1748, 1798, 1805, 1806, 1813, and 1854 ;)

Hi!

I don't think so, it was "somewhere out in space"... Only 1812 ... and 1854, because Crimea is a part of Russia :)))))

I don't think so, it was "somewhere out in space"... Only 1812 ... and 1854, because Crimea is a part of Russia :)))))

France and Russia have been at war in all of those years I mentioned, 1733 War of the Polish Succession, 1748 War of the Austrian Succession, 1798-1814 Russia was part of various anti-French coalitions and of course 1854 the Crimean war, although you are right in that only in 1812 and 1854 were French troops on Russian soil.

I got the impression 'Sbiker' meant that, for the Russians at that time, those were minor engagements very far from anything that really mattered to them.

Forum List

Back