Look for another "physical" game against Iowa

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I am concerned that women's basketball is headed in the wrong direction by trying to emulate the more contact-oriented men's game. This has been exemplified in the last few games against Iowa, where the game's most prolific scorer has been constrained by constant physical contact. Is this good for the sport?

The WNBA has tried this approach and failed miserably. Will women's college basketball be next? People like to watch high-scoring games, not boring slug fests. Will the crowds coming to see Caitlin Clark ever be repeated? I think the NCAA needs to do some soul searching about what direction it wants to lead the game. It has seen what stardom can do, but will it promote it (like with Michael Jordan) or tamp it down?

Sunday's Championship Game will tell a lot about the future of women's basketball. Unless the referees start enforcing physical contact rules, the game will likely revert to being a low-scoring and uninteresting sideshow.

Last edited:
I am concerned that women's basketball is headed in the wrong direction by trying to emulate the more contact-oriented men's game. This has been exemplified in the last few games against Iowa, where the game's most prolific scorer has been contained by constant physical contact. Is this good for the sport?

The WNBA has tried this approach and failed miserably. Will women's college basketball be next? People like to watch high-scoring games, not boring slug fests. Will the crowds coming to see Caitlin Clark ever be repeated? I think the NCAA needs to do some soul searching about what direction it wants to lead the game. It has seen what stardom can do, but will it promote it (like Michael Jordan) or tamp it down?

Sunday's Championship Game will tell a lot about the future of women's basketball. Unless the referees start enforcing physical contact rules, the game will likely revert to being a low-scoring and uninteresting sideshow.
The press put on Clark didn't actually lead to many fouls until late in the game. UConn mostly fouled away from Clark. I thought it was excellent defense against her. I think it also upset her 3-point shooting attempts as well. Look for Iowa to set more screens for her against South Carolina, or for Iowa to take advantage of SC double teaming Clark. Iowa has other good 3-point shooters as shown last night.

The reffing in the final will be very interesting. Everyone knows Clark means millions in additional revenue for the WNBA and South Carolina is very big and very physical.

:popcorn:
I give SC the edge on the inside. Only good outside shooting will save Iowa.

Translation: I heard Iowa has 3 white starters. Without looking knowing are watching, Black thugs will be allowed free run to maul white players ( Can do no wrong ). After all “it is their game”. They took it over in mens, now womens right behind. Phase two, they will only play for Black coaches ((or paid Black QB) coming soon enough. See Dallas with DAK lol! To their own demise.

But as long as I can see what is up, I can bet it.

I am concerned that women's basketball is headed in the wrong direction by trying to emulate the more contact-oriented men's game. This has been exemplified in the last few games against Iowa, where the game's most prolific scorer has been contained by constant physical contact. Is this good for the sport?

The WNBA has tried this approach and failed miserably. Will women's college basketball be next? People like to watch high-scoring games, not boring slug fests. Will the crowds coming to see Caitlin Clark ever be repeated? I think the NCAA needs to do some soul searching about what direction it wants to lead the game. It has seen what stardom can do, but will it promote it (like Michael Jordan) or tamp it down?

Physical contact quite possibly cost UConn the game last night. The call was good though. I didn't see it in real time, but slomo made it very clear.

Physical contact quite possibly cost UConn the game last night. The call was good though. I didn't see it in real time, but slomo made it very clear.
The call was correct, but I was surprised it was made in that situation. It was away from the ball, prolly should have let the final shot play out. I always hate to see refs affect the outcome of big games in any sport.

The call was correct, but I was surprised it was made in that situation. It was away from the ball, prolly should have let the final shot play out. I always hate to see refs affect the outcome of big games in any sport.
There is so much shady garbage that happens in the final minute or two of BB games, I don't even care to watch it. Refs, players and coaches are all guilty.

There is so much shady garbage that happens in the final minute or two of BB games, I don't even care to watch it. Refs, players and coaches are all guilty.
Oh I think this is a must watch game. Will Clark's coronation be completed, will SC have their undefeated season? Will flagrant fouls be called? Will Dawn Staley have another melt down? Good stuff!

Translation: I heard Iowa has 3 white starters. Without looking knowing are watching, Black thugs will be allowed free run to maul white players ( Can do no wrong ). After all “it is their game”. They took it over in mens, now womens right behind. Phase two, they will only play for Black coaches ((or paid Black QB) coming soon enough. See Dallas with DAK lol! To their own demise.

But as long as I can see what is up, I can bet it.
Mvp of the nfl was a joke

Mvp of the nfl was a joke

Yockjic. Missed a year becaus Black players started popping off “He dont deserve 3 in a row”. Like he aint no Kareem, Wilt or MJ? Filthy voters folded of course. Cant let a white join the club no matter how great.

Jocikh nay be one of the top centers of all time (many say). But I don’t kno? I barely watch some playoffs. I call it what I see and hear on Sirius drivetime.

I like Clark's rise to fame in the BB world--I wish her well.

no where to go. Nobody cares about WNBA. Those long time players that did not get Clarks millions will be very soured up. No NIL money for them but here comes this hotshot. That could draw viewers if they rough her up for a while I suppose?

Last edited:
Iowa is good on offense but defense is their weakness.

I heard SC has a big one? 6’7”? and a better coach than that incompetent on LSU. She was asked after about guarding Clark. She basically said her player failed? Sounded like a complete dope. Huh? No changes? No nothing?

Sounds like Iowa is in trouble? Clark will need 35+

I am concerned that women's basketball is headed in the wrong direction by trying to emulate the more contact-oriented men's game. This has been exemplified in the last few games against Iowa, where the game's most prolific scorer has been constrained by constant physical contact. Is this good for the sport?

The WNBA has tried this approach and failed miserably. Will women's college basketball be next? People like to watch high-scoring games, not boring slug fests. Will the crowds coming to see Caitlin Clark ever be repeated? I think the NCAA needs to do some soul searching about what direction it wants to lead the game. It has seen what stardom can do, but will it promote it (like with Michael Jordan) or tamp it down?

Clark and Reece go to the WNBA next year and everyone will go back to not caring about women’s basketball. That will persist unless/until JuJu closes in on the scoring record.

People want to know the players it’s why the men’s game has declined in popularity. The women’s game isn’t good enough to capture people’s attention strictly for the game play like the men can so they need a story. They provide that. They are they are the draw. Clark and Reece are more interesting than the games. Do you think most people can name a single player on the SC team?

Forum List

Back