Logical Fallacies

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
What is ad hominem?

If you are in a debate and you counter someone's position, how does that translate into "you're attacking ME?"

This is a question I'm curious about because I've had the experience of personalizing someone else's position. Example, someone opposes any hormones or body alternation for trans people and I can hear that as a personal attack on my family.

(My son is trans)

How can we discuss volatile, highly passionate topics without personalizing them?

Help.

Might be hard to do that Dhara. People may or may not mean to do it, but someone always gets offended, or takes things wrong. That happens on message boards...as it is text. In person may be different.

What is ad hominem?

If you are in a debate and you counter someone's position, how does that translate into "you're attacking ME?"

This is a question I'm curious about because I've had the experience of personalizing someone else's position. Example, someone opposes any hormones or body alternation for trans people and I can hear that as a personal attack on my family.

(My son is trans)

How can we discuss volatile, highly passionate topics without personalizing them?

Help.
YOU personalize it by bringing your son into a previously benign discussion. I mock the movement & find it offensive to my moralities but I pass not personal judgment on your son.
For example my oldest daughter led an alternate lifestyle for several years. I despised it & thought it was an affront to what is right vs what is wrong. I still love my daughter.
A debate requires that you detach yourself emotionally from the subject matter.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.
YOU personalize it by bringing your son into a previously benign discussion. I mock the movement & find it offensive to my moralities but I pass not personal judgment on your son.
For example my oldest daughter led an alternate lifestyle for several years. I despised it & thought it was an affront to what is right vs what is wrong. I still love my daughter.
Thusly, Gramps has never, ever had a melt down on USMB...

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.
Did you think you would encounter no hostility from the human race?

An ad hominem is an insulting response that has NOTHING to do with the subject matter; not even a strawman.

Dhara, i feel the same way, but i dont want to go on a leftist forum because i reserve the right to make MY opinions. People say very harsh things to me on this forum but life has taught me that people's opinions do not often reflect their personal treatmeng of me.

There are many people who will joyfully correct and humiliate someone who opines negativity about transsexualism, but they will turn around and be tremendously cruel and discriminating to trannies thmself. This is why i hate looney lefties/thought police/SJWs. Because they save up bigot points. They think when they acuse someone else of bigotry, this excuses themself of bigotry.

And then there are so many people with traditionlist opinions on transsexulism,but then treat transladies like women and with respect and courtesy.

you would have already learned with your son, that when the chips are down you find out who your friends are.

So you have an opportunity. Will you keep on your SJW jack boots and mao hat, and somehow try to squash your life experience into THEIR world view. Or will you be brave and stand alone, against ALL group thought, like i do?

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.
Thusly, Gramps has never, ever had a melt down on USMB...
I had one a couple hours ago. My first in fact. But it had nothing to do with the debate and I responded in kind. The op is asking about subject matter that is relevant to the debate. I would never attack the op based on the very personal information they provided. I may still sound offensive because of her ties to the subject but the appearance of personalizing it is in her head & not in my intent.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.
Because those with an unwarranted hostility toward transgender Americans have no rational, logical, factual ‘argument’ in support of their hostility toward those transgender, consequently all they have are personal attacks.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.
Because those with an unwarranted hostility toward transgender Americans have no rational, logical, factual ‘argument’ in support of their hostility toward those transgender, consequently all they have are personal attacks.
What bothers me the most is when my "friends" have that unwarranted hostility toward transgender. They know I have a trans son, and they don't understand why I get upset with their lacking of rational, logical, factual arguments against transpeople's right to exist..

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.
Did you think you would encounter no hostility from the human race?
I don't expect hostility from people who say they care about me.

Might be hard to do that Dhara. People may or may not mean to do it, but someone always gets offended, or takes things wrong. That happens on message boards...as it is text. In person may be different.
It's alienated me from a friend.

An ad hominem is an insulting response that has NOTHING to do with the subject matter; not even a strawman.
Well, some people who are friends here, and who happen to have opposite politics on a few issues, expect me to publically defend their positions even when they are counter to my family's interests.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.
What bothers me the most is when my "friends" have that unwarranted hostility toward transgender. They know I have a trans son, and they don't understand why I get upset with their lacking of rational, logical, factual arguments against transpeople's right to exist..
They don’t understand because they’re afraid.

Those hostile to transgender persons are ignorant as to what it is to be transgender, that ignorance leads to fear, and ignorance and fear together become hate.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.

Those hostile to transgender persons are ignorant as to what it is to be transgender, that ignorance leads to fear, and ignorance and fear together become hate.
I agree. I am bummed out though. I've literally lost friends over this.

I wish those who are that prejudiced and afraid could meet my son. He's such a dear person and so interesting.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Do you have any evidence that anyone here is afraid of people who suffer from a transgender mental disorder?

Sure a lot of people are afraid of people who suffer from certain mental disorders, and justifiably so, however transgenderism is not one of them.

Hate and fear of transgender people is evident in the current bathroom controversy.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.

Good luck on this board. There are so many posters who employ multiple logistic fallacies. Some even pride themselves on how "clever" their insults are. This is not debate class, it's mostly people venting.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.

Good luck on this board. There are so many posters who employ multiple logistic fallacies. Some even pride themselves on how "clever" their insults are. This is not debate class, it's mostly people venting.
That's true.

Forum List

Back