Logical Fallacies

What is ad hominem?

If you are in a debate and you counter someone's position, how does that translate into "you're attacking ME?"

This is a question I'm curious about because I've had the experience of personalizing someone else's position. Example, someone opposes any hormones or body alternation for trans people and I can hear that as a personal attack on my family.

(My son is trans)

How can we discuss volatile, highly passionate topics without personalizing them?

Help.
Because those with an unwarranted hostility toward transgender Americans have no rational, logical, factual ā€˜argumentā€™ in support of their hostility toward those transgender, consequently all they have are personal attacks.
What bothers me the most is when my "friends" have that unwarranted hostility toward transgender. They know I have a trans son, and they don't understand why I get upset with their lacking of rational, logical, factual arguments against transpeople's right to exist..
They donā€™t understand because theyā€™re afraid.

Those hostile to transgender persons are ignorant as to what it is to be transgender, that ignorance leads to fear, and ignorance and fear together become hate.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Do you have any evidence that anyone here is afraid of people who suffer from a transgender mental disorder?

Sure a lot of people are afraid of people who suffer from certain mental disorders, and justifiably so, however transgenderism is not one of them.
No, this is absolutely ridiculous.

And that you canā€™t see the evidence comes as no surprise.

On this forum alone, day in and day out, thread after thread, USMB conservatives exhibit their ignorance, fear, and hatred of those transgender.

Just a few examples of rightwing ignorance, fear, and hate: referring to transgender persons as ā€˜transvestites,ā€™ referring to those transgender as ā€˜deviants,ā€™ ā€˜perverts,ā€™ and ā€˜pedophiles.ā€™

Most on the right have advocated that transgender Americans be subject to punitive measures such as those in North Carolina, be discriminated against for no other reason than who they are, and that those transgender should seek out ā€˜treatmentā€™ in an effort to ā€˜cureā€™ their ā€˜illness.ā€™

All of the above and more are examples of the fear, ignorance and hate most on the right exhibit toward transgender Americans.

What is ad hominem?

If you are in a debate and you counter someone's position, how does that translate into "you're attacking ME?"

This is a question I'm curious about because I've had the experience of personalizing someone else's position. Example, someone opposes any hormones or body alternation for trans people and I can hear that as a personal attack on my family.

(My son is trans)

How can we discuss volatile, highly passionate topics without personalizing them?

Help.
Because those with an unwarranted hostility toward transgender Americans have no rational, logical, factual ā€˜argumentā€™ in support of their hostility toward those transgender, consequently all they have are personal attacks.
What bothers me the most is when my "friends" have that unwarranted hostility toward transgender. They know I have a trans son, and they don't understand why I get upset with their lacking of rational, logical, factual arguments against transpeople's right to exist..

Those hostile to transgender persons are ignorant as to what it is to be transgender, that ignorance leads to fear, and ignorance and fear together become hate.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Do you have any evidence that anyone here is afraid of people who suffer from a transgender mental disorder?

Sure a lot of people are afraid of people who suffer from certain mental disorders, and justifiably so, however transgenderism is not one of them.
No, this is absolutely ridiculous.

And that you canā€™t see the evidence comes as no surprise.

On this forum alone, day in and day out, thread after thread, USMB conservatives exhibit their ignorance, fear, and hatred of those transgender.

Just a few examples of rightwing ignorance, fear, and hate: referring to transgender persons as ā€˜transvestites,ā€™ referring to those transgender as ā€˜deviants,ā€™ ā€˜perverts,ā€™ and ā€˜pedophiles.ā€™

Most on the right have advocated that transgender Americans be subject to punitive measures such as those in North Carolina, be discriminated against for no other reason than who they are, and that those transgender should seek out ā€˜treatmentā€™ in an effort to ā€˜cureā€™ their ā€˜illness.ā€™

All of the above and more are examples of the fear, ignorance and hate most on the right exhibit toward transgender Americans.
My hero!

It's sad that you people are forced to stand behind these sexually confused people just because of their "psychological disability" and the blood relationship. I hate most of my siblings for good cause and have no such "disability" getting in the way of a healthy disdain for their existences. If not for these sexual awareness difficulties you might find that you cannot stand these misfits.

Hate and fear of transgender people is evident in the current bathroom controversy.

Yep, and if you don't want men in a bathroom or locker room with your daughter, then you are bigoted against the transgendered, and if you accept that some people are just born gay, you are a peddler of perversion. I know first hand because I have had both labels pinned on me here.

Hate and fear of transgender people is evident in the current bathroom controversy.

Yep, and if you don't want men in a bathroom or locker room with your daughter, then you are bigoted against the transgendered, and if you accept that some people are just born gay, you are a peddler of perversion. I know first hand because I have had both labels pinned on me here.
Sure--

I want my trans son to be able to use the mens room without getting beat up. Is that so much to ask?

Dhara, i feel the same way, but i dont want to go on a leftist forum because i reserve the right to make MY opinions. People say very harsh things to me on this forum but life has taught me that people's opinions do not often reflect their personal treatmeng of me.

There are many people who will joyfully correct and humiliate someone who opines negativity about transsexualism, but they will turn around and be tremendously cruel and discriminating to trannies thmself. This is why i hate looney lefties/thought police/SJWs. Because they save up bigot points. They think when they acuse someone else of bigotry, this excuses themself of bigotry.

And then there are so many people with traditionlist opinions on transsexulism,but then treat transladies like women and with respect and courtesy.

you would have already learned with your son, that when the chips are down you find out who your friends are.

So you have an opportunity. Will you keep on your SJW jack boots and mao hat, and somehow try to squash your life experience into THEIR world view. Or will you be brave and stand alone, against ALL group thought, like i do?
She's unwilling to leave behind a world view and lifetime of PTB gifted victories for her child. Sad.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.

I agree. I am bummed out though. I've literally lost friends over this.
Itā€™s unfortunate and bizarre, but there are those who incorrectly perceive your son as a ā€˜threatā€™ ā€“ where he represents the change, diversity, and expression of individual liberty that many find frightening.

And just as unfortunate and bizarre, your son has become a ā€˜political issueā€™ for many on the right, social conservatives in particular ā€“ who have an overwhelming propensity to fear change, diversity, and expressions of individual liberty; republicans who use the politics of fear in an effort to divide the American people for some perceived partisan gain.

What is ad hominem?

(My son is trans)

Help.

I can't speak for you or your son, but the LGBTQ community bears some responsibility for the hostility. When they organize parades to "show off" their sexual orientation it is very offensive to some people. There is nothing wrong with being gay or straight, the problem is created when you demand that others acknowledge and accept your sexual proclivity, whatever it is.

Untrue. The concern is not about a transgendered person using the bathroom. The concern is that a pedophile will use the law to claim transgendered status and violate the privacy of a young person. Get the concern correct. This assertion of yours makes you look stupid and ignorant.

Untrue. The concern is not about a transgendered person using the bathroom. The concern is that a pedophile will use the law to claim transgendered status and violate the privacy of a young person. Get the concern correct. This assertion of yours makes you look stupid and ignorant.
Transgender people aren't pedophile.

Bullshit. People may hate you because you openly admit to being a child abuser but nobody here fears you.
Fear and ignorance are the elements of hate; that you incorrectly perceive transgender children as having been subject to some sort of ā€˜abuseā€™ is an example of your ignorance.

And we know that youā€™re afraid because youā€™re attacking that which you fear with the lie that transgender children are ā€˜abused,ā€™ when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Wrong.

The ā€˜restroomā€™ nonsense is a red herring fallacy contrived by the right, a faƧade behind which conservatives attempt ā€“ and fail ā€“ to hide their bigotry toward those transgender, and their desire to discriminate against them.

And the ā€˜pedophile concernā€™ is yet another red herring fallacy, as well as a false comparison fallacy, nothing but hateful, bigoted rightwing demagoguery used to ā€˜justifyā€™ disadvantaging transgender Americans through force of law.

That you seek to continue to propagate these lies and fallacies makes you look stupid and ignorant.

He's not saying transgenders are pedophiles. He is accurately pointing out the cover created for pedophiles when men can go into a women's bathroom. If you had a daughter, and watched a man follow her into the restroom, you'd understand.

He's not saying transgenders are pedophiles. He is accurately pointing out the cover created for pedophiles when men can go into a women's bathroom. If you had a daughter, and watched a man follow her into the restroom, you'd understand.
I have three daughters.

I have three daughters.

Would you be concerned if a dude followed one into the bathroom, would you want them changing their clothes or showering with a male after gym class?

Forum List

Back