Little Crimes, Big Crimes

Billiejeens

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2019
"I can't imagine why you're bothering me when there's rioting in the streets." -- Dr. Whiteface

"Ah, well ... we shall deal with that later. But Captain Vimes always told me, sir, that there are big crimes and little crimes. Sometimes the little crimes look big and the big crimes you can hardly see, but the crucial thing is to decide which is which." -- Corporal Carrot

One subtheme running through Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series of fantasy novels is the desire of some residents of the principal city, Ankh-Morpork, to overthrow the existing government and install a king. In the novel "Men at Arms," as quoted above, for example, we see characters fomenting discord between groups living in Ankh-Morpork (humans, trolls, dwarves, etc.), even going so far as to commit murder to inflame passions, rouse suspicions and resurrect old hatreds simmering just below the surface. Predictable mayhem results: widespread violence and rioting, the destruction of property and the general breakdown of order.

BJ's pull quote

It would appear at first blush that the murders are the "big crimes." But, in fact, they are part of a larger scheme to exploit the unrest and create broad public support for "regime change." Needless to say, those pushing for the change see themselves as the rightful leaders.

Forum List

Back