Liquid water 'lake' revealed on Mars

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Cool.

Liquid water 'lake' revealed on Mars

Researchers have found evidence of an existing body of liquid water on Mars.

What they believe to be a lake sits under the planet's south polar ice cap, and is about 20km (12 miles) across.

Previous research found possible signs of intermittent liquid water flowing on the martian surface, but this is the first sign of a persistent body of water on the planet in the present day.

Aint that awesome?!
We need to explore it asap
I do wonder how deep the ice is though

• Banned
Aint that awesome?!

If we're going to spend some public funds on space discovery I think our best bet is to send probes that could put some kind of submarine into the known ocean on the moon Europa. They think the ocean that exists under the ice might be three times bigger than all of Earth's oceans combined. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of life is swimming around in that water.

Aint that awesome?!

If we're going to spend some public funds on space discovery I think our best bet is to send probes that could put some kind of submarine into the known ocean on the moon Europa. They think the ocean that exists under the ice might be three times bigger than all of Earth's oceans combined. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of life is swimming around in that water.
Are we there yet, technologically speaking? No telling how deep that ice is. It is estimated to be like 8 miles thick
Its also EXTREMELY solid considering how cold it is. Its probably 3 times colder than antarctica..
The worst part is, we dont know for sure if that is even water.
From what i have gathered, there is more evidence for this lake on mars, than on europa. I could be wrong though.. lol
But it would be amazing if we could do it! The best part? We will be able to soon enough

• Banned
Are we there yet, technologically speaking? No telling how deep that ice is. It is estimated to be like 8 miles thick
Its also EXTREMELY solid considering how cold it is. Its probably 3 times colder than antarctica..

I'm honestly not sure. It seems like at this point in time we could figure out how to pull it off if we really wanted to. There are areas on Europa where water is shot out of the ground. The ice can't be as deep and thick near those areas, right? I'd support funding NASA to scout anywhere in our solar system that could possibly have life. Finding another source of life in our own solar system would be huge.

I wonder if they are going to be able to get a surface rover over there to test it?

Aint that awesome?!

Absolutely, .... I think we will be supprised

e64644d4c35dc6a6d404d873c1b3d9bc.jpg

I'm honestly not sure. It seems like at this point in time we could figure out how to pull it off if we really wanted to. There are areas on Europa where water is shot out of the ground. The ice can't be as deep and thick near those areas, right? I'd support funding NASA to scout anywhere in our solar system that could possibly have life. Finding another source of life in our own solar system would be huge.
They dont even know if the plumes are actual plumes.. Much less what is coming out of it.
If they are plumes, and it is water, they could just drive by and collect those samples, i reckon. That would be easily done!
The Universe always has my attention. I am so curious!

I am with the OP about sending probes to Europa to drill that ice and discover what is underneath...

We are like our ancestors 10k years ago when we look at space like they looked at our planet and it is so unknown yet to us...

They dont even know if the plumes are actual plumes.. Much less what is coming out of it.
If they are plumes, and it is water, they could just drive by and collect those samples, i reckon. That would be easily done!
The Universe always has my attention. I am so curious!

Actually, the Galileo space probe already did that.

Water plumes on Europa detected by Galileo spacecraft – Spaceflight Now

A review of data captured by NASA’s Galileo spacecraft as it orbited Jupiter in the 1990s indicates it likely flew through a plume of water vapor spewing from cracks in the surface of the moon Europa, providing independent evidence water is being released from a vast sub-surface ocean beneath its frozen crust, scientists said Monday.

The Galileo data are consistent with earlier observations by the Hubble Space Telescope that captured signs of presumed plumes at the limits of detectability. In both cases, the data indicate plumes erupted from roughly the same region, a known thermal “hot spot” on the moon’s surface.

The Galileo data were collected in 1997 during a Europa flyby at an altitude of less than 250 miles. The spacecraft’s magnetometer, used to detect and measure magnetic field strength, and its plasma wave spectrometer, which measured charged particles in the environment, both recorded readings best explained by passage through a plume of water vapor, according to the new analysis.

The magnetometer detected a field rotation across hundreds of miles and a brief, sharp change in field strength while the plasma wave instrument recorded a substantial increase in the density of charged particles near the spacecraft.

Forum List

Back