like father like son - rand paul lone vote against idiotic law

Rand Pual is pretty much fuckin badass... Of course the left hates him. I didn't support him on these when he was running because he had no record but he so far has been near 100% awesome.

Rand Paul Stomp ftw.

no shit, we should ask the mods that a WARNING be posted next to any links to THAT SITE.:lol:

And you're the one talking about desperation? Is there something in the article that you have issue with? Did they not report on the facts of the story? If you have some proof that the story lacks credibility, then please, show it. Otherwise, sit down and shut the fuck up.

hahaha,
you sit down and shut the fuck up sonny boy. I don't have to prove shit. You PROVE IT other than some article from the Hufferpufferpost.
:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:You're an idiot. How does the Evansville Courier Press, from Evansville, Indiana suit you? Is that far enough away from liberalville for you?

Sen. Paul says black lung regulations may prove too costly » Evansville Courier & Press

WASHINGTON — Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is speaking out against efforts to bolster regulations aimed at reducing the incidence of black lung disease that often afflicts coal miners, arguing that the measure may prove too costly.

Paul's criticism, which came last week at a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee hearing, sounded a note similar to one offered by Indiana's 8th District Rep. Larry Bucshon, R-Ind. of Newburgh, in February when he asserted that many miners were responsible for bringing the malady upon themselves.

At issue is an effort by the Mine Safety and Health Administration to eradicate black lung, an often incurable disease caused by the inhalation of coal dust. The goal is to reduce by half the amount of particulate matter miners are exposed to over a two-year period. The proposed rule is opposed by mining interests.

During the hearing, Paul, a R-Ky of Bowling Green Republican and an avowed opponent of governmental regulation, credited the federal government with actually having done "a pretty good job'' in tackling the black lung problem. But he further maintained that stricter regulations might go too far.

"Every regulation doesn't save lives," Paul said. "There is a point or a balancing act between when a regulation becomes burdensome and our energy production is stifled. We have to assess the cost."

Paul mistakenly said the number of black lung cases has declined, but the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health says the incidence has grown in recent years after a steady decline.

The percentage of miners with 30 or more years experience who have black lung rose from 6.8 percent in 1995-99 to 9.4 percent in 2000-04 and to 9.9 percent in 2005-06.

About 1,500 miners die each year from the condition.

Coal mining directly accounts for about 3,000 Hoosier jobs, almost all of them in the state's southwestern corner. Indiana ranks seventh among the nation's 26 coal-producing states, mining 35.9 million short tons, or 3.1 percent of the nation's total in 2008.

According to NIOSH, 133 Hoosiers died from black lung from 1996 to 2005, ranking the state ninth nationally. Kentucky, which ranks third behind Wyoming and West Virginia in coal production, suffered 858 deaths over the same period, placing it fourth. The most recent years totals are available.

Last edited:
The answer is don't be a coal miner.

You don't want to potentially get in traffic wrecks, don't be a truck driver.

You don't want to potentially drown, don't be a commercial diver.

You don't want to potentially lose an arm in a combine, don't be a farmer.

Life's tough...Shit happens...Wear a helmet.

Yeah!

Let's cut out all that unecessary safety gear and stuff for our fire fighters and police officers too!

Second chance vest?

Who needs em? If you don't wanna get shot and killed, don't be a cop. In fact, why are we even paying for their guns?

Gas masks and heat proof protective gear? Tough shit ... if you don't want to burn to death or die of smoke inhalation then don't be a firefighter!
That could tell me that that firefighters and cops are more highly attuned to the risks of their professions than some others, as much as anything else.

Then again, nobody ever died instantly from black lung either.

Still, if you don't want to potentially get shot by a street hoodlum, don't be a cop.

If you don't want to potentially drop through a wooden floor that has been compromised by flames from below, don't be a firefighter.

If you don't want to potentially plummet to your death an airplane, don't be a pilot.

If you don't want to potentially get smacked in the head by an errant golf ball, don't be a caddy.

The choices really aren't that difficult here.

You don't get cancer overnight from leaking radiation either so let's do away with all of those silly safety regulations for our nuclear power plants and weapons stockpiles.

The answer is don't be a coal miner.

You don't want to potentially get in traffic wrecks, don't be a truck driver.

You don't want to potentially drown, don't be a commercial diver.

You don't want to potentially lose an arm in a combine, don't be a farmer.

Life's tough...Shit happens...Wear a helmet.

Yeah!

Let's cut out all that unecessary safety gear and stuff for our fire fighters and police officers too!

Second chance vest?

Who needs em? If you don't wanna get shot and killed, don't be a cop. In fact, why are we even paying for their guns?

Gas masks and heat proof protective gear? Tough shit ... if you don't want to burn to death or die of smoke inhalation then don't be a firefighter!
That could tell me that that firefighters and cops are more highly attuned to the risks of their professions than some others, as much as anything else.

Then again, nobody ever died instantly from black lung either.

Still, if you don't want to potentially get shot by a street hoodlum, don't be a cop.

If you don't want to potentially drop through a wooden floor that has been compromised by flames from below, don't be a firefighter.

If you don't want to potentially plummet to your death an airplane, don't be a pilot.

If you don't want to potentially get smacked in the head by an errant golf ball, don't be a caddy.

The choices really aren't that difficult here.

If you want to make cops and firefighter's jobs safer, then support safety regulations. If you don't want to make their jobs safer, then vote Republican. They don't give a shit about safety. Profit is their only goal.

There is no need for unions, period.

Bullshit. The common working people disagree with you.

A worker enjoying everything unions have done for ALL workers saying that unions aren't needed is like cursing farmers with your mouth full.

wtf? the COMMON working people?
How many common working people BELONG TO A UNION out of 350million people in the country.
what a friggen JOKE

And how many of them have benefitted from the laws that unions have fought to put in place? EVERY ONE OF THE 350 million.

Wake up!!

The "common working people" are ignorant and don't know what's good for them. If they did, then Obama wouldn't be president.

A worker enjoying everything unions have done for ALL workers saying that unions aren't needed is like cursing farmers with your mouth full.

Yeah, look what unions did for all the workers in Detroit! Go walk around the hood in Detroit and tell us what a boon unions are for the working man.

Thanks for proving my point that the right has little or no respect for the common working man.

There are inherent risks in every occupation. But companies have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to reduce those risks down to an acceptable level. It's called the cost of doing business. If they can't afford to reduce the risk then they can't afford to run the business.

Who put you in charge of deciding what an "acceptable risk" is?

It's posts like yours that backs up the claim that Conservatives don't give two shits about the common working man. People want to work but they don't need to die needlessly to do it.

And you people wonder why labor unions were formed??? :confused:

It's assholes like you that backup the claim that liberals don't care if no one in this country has a job and that all our industry is regulated into extinction. What is the limit of "acceptable risk?" To a liberal, the term "excess regulation" is an oxymoron.

As a Safety Professional who has studied OSHA Regulations I can very well decide what an acceptable risk would be given any occupation and specific jobs within those occupations.

How about you? What expertise do you bring to the discussion?

And how many of them have benefitted from the laws that unions have fought to put in place? EVERY ONE OF THE 350 million.

Wake up!!

None have benefited. Unions have done more harm to this country than any other institution, including the KKK.

Thanks for proving my point that the right has little or no respect for the common working man.

ROFL! Yeah, those DemoRATs who don't even want the working man to know what they are voting on sure have a lot of respect for them.

Liberals are hilarious!

Not needed? Thats the biggest crock of shit I have EVER heard. Their is a REASON REGULATION EXIST. Because businesses didn't regulate themselves.

Regulations exist because of 150 years of Marxist agitation. And, yes, corporations do largely regulate themselves. that is, the market regulates corporations. That and lawsuits.

Unions and government regulation are largely irrelevant to the issue of worker safety

Oh you are just priceless. I mean you are following the Glenn Beck playbook to a T. You are just such a good republican pawn aren't ya?

If you want to make cops and firefighter's jobs safer, then support safety regulations. If you don't want to make their jobs safer, then vote Republican. They don't give a shit about safety. Profit is their only goal.
I don't have to support anything...The cops and firefighters won't take the jobs without the safety measures.

See how easy that was?

P.S....I haven't voted for one single republican since 1994.

As a Safety Professional who has studied OSHA Regulations I can very well decide what an acceptable risk would be given any occupation and specific jobs within those occupations.

How about you? What expertise do you bring to the discussion?

"Safety professional?" It sounds like you're some parasite sucking on the government tit.

"Acceptable risk" depends on who is taking the risk. "Acceptable" for Evil Knievel is not the same as acceptable for Paris Hilton.

Your belief that you're qualified what is "acceptable" for everyone else is the height of arrogance. That's the mindset of your typical liberal. It's the mindset of a Stalinist.

Wake up!!

None have benefited. Unions have done more harm to this country than any other institution, including the KKK.

You're right, no one has benefitted from unions except:

- Children who get an education
- Workers getting time off
- Workers getting weekends.
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Pensions
- Safe working conditions.
- Overtime pay
- Higher pay

But besides all that, yeah nothing.

Nope. Teachers unions work tirelessly to make sure children don't get educated.

Nope. Henry Ford created the 40 hour week.

- Health Insurance

ROFL! You can't be serious.

- Life Insurance

Ditto

ROLF! Unions are opposed to 401K. In fact, they want the government to confiscate 401Ks

- Pensions

Nope

Nope

- Overtime pay

Nope

- Higher pay

Only for union thugs. They create unemployment for everyone excluded from working for unionized corporations.

Yep, nothing.

Last edited:

Nope. Teachers unions work tirelessly to make sure children don't get educated.

- Health Insurance

ROFL! You can't be serious.

- Life Insurance

Ditto

ROLF! Unions are opposed to 401K. In fact, they want the government to confiscate 401Ks

- Pensions

Nope

Nope

- Overtime pay

Nope

- Higher pay

Only for union thugs. They create unemployment for everyone excluded from working for unionized corporations.

Yep, nothing.

Possibly the two stupidest posts I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot. :cuckoo:

Why do republicans tounge business' asshole but wont even flirt with the working man?

Rand is pretending that Coal reducing levels of black lung is too much. They are doing it now, its the cost of doing business. This free market that he wants is one where when a company cant make money, get government to loosen saftey on workers so they make more money

Will it stop black lung? No. Do miners get black lung? Yes

Should mining companies do what is needed to provide a healthy work environment? Yes

There is no need for unions, period.

wtf? the COMMON working people?
How many common working people BELONG TO A UNION out of 350million people in the country.
what a friggen JOKE

First of all the population isn't 350million...it's right around 310million. I'm not one to nitpick on statistics, but yours is way off. Second you're assuming that all 310million people are able to join unions (minors who can't work yet cannot-and retirees generally aren't in unions either). So out of the 310 million people...around 62million of them are children under the age of 15, and another 16million are 70+ (and 80 as an age to retire is obviously VERY generous). So that's around 78/310 million right off the bat...which is 1/4. So roughly 1/4 of the population shouldn't be factored in looking at who belongs to unions, and who doesn't.

I get your point, and I agree the overwhelming majority of Americans in the work force aren't in unions (I think somewhere around 85-90% off the top of my head). But that doesn't mean necessarily mean they shouldn't have the right to have unions. Oh and also, try and use accurate facts, instead of numbers that aren't accurate-otherwise you just look silly.

Forum List

Back