Liberals aren't mad that Brian Williams lied...

If the OP were to honestly state why he IS outraged by Williams' lies, I'd be very impressed.
He is supposed to be a news caster. You don't care that they will lie to you?

If he lied about the news.....and I was misled by him regarding something important, I'd care. I find what he did here to be indicative of a major character flaw. I'm not heavily invested in anyone who delivers the news on television. So...I'm not outraged.
Did you care about Dan Rather?

I believe Dan Rather's account of what took place. You probably didn't read this:

Truth or Consequences Texas Monthly

I don't believe that he misled anyone intentionally.

If the OP were to honestly state why he IS outraged by Williams' lies, I'd be very impressed.

If he lied about the news.....and I was misled by him regarding something important, I'd care. I find what he did here to be indicative of a major character flaw. I'm not heavily invested in anyone who delivers the news on television. So...I'm not outraged.

I believe Dan Rather's account of what took place. You probably didn't read this:

He made the entire story up. What the hell are you talking about?

No he didn't. You've been led around by the nose for over a decade on this issue. Try harder. You are boring me.

No he didn't. You've been led around by the nose for over a decade on this issue. Try harder. You are boring me.
You really are a looney lefty. You believe you're own lies.

You simply don't know what happened with Rather back then. Do a little research. Start by reading the article I just gave you.

Thread after thread, I've noticed liberals have not been offended by Brian Williams actions. Some have defended him. Many have attacked his accusers. Others have spun this about other issues. Others have presented moral relativism arguments. The one thing that liberals have not done is show outrage. Why? Cos he's one of their own. And in liberal land, it's okay to lie for the cause.

Liberals aren't mad that Brian Williams lied. They're mad that he got caught.

I don't think liberals are mad about it at all. they are kind of indifferent. It's not like they have any investment in Williams. It's just not a big deal and the guy is paying a disproportionate price for something that is kind of irrelevent.

:lmao: Indifferent. Yea, they're jizzing their 'indifference' all over the board. Indifferent? How convenient! Yea, they don't have an investment in lyin' Brian now cos he's a junk bond. But he paid off plenty already...... Love the spin, Joeb. I can always count on you for some Grade A bull shit.

Indifferent. Yea, they're jizzing their 'indifference' all over the board. Indifferent? How convenient! Yea, they don't have an investment in lyin' Brian now cos he's a junk bond. But he paid off plenty already...... Love the spin, Joeb. I can always count on you for some Grade A bull shit.

I haven't really seen anyone on the board get up and say, "Williams was robbed".

Your whole premise is that there's some kind of left-wing investment in Williams on an emotional level. I'll be darned if I see it. I don't really care that he's been pulled off the air and I don't care if he comes back in six months.

Nor does anyone else.

I think it was a dumb story to embellish.

As an aside, I think that Dan Rather's firing was completely appropriate, because he committed journalistic malpractice. He put unvetted information on the air, and then he doubled down when people called it into question.

Thread after thread, I've noticed liberals have not been offended by Brian Williams actions. Some have defended him. Many have attacked his accusers. Others have spun this about other issues. Others have presented moral relativism arguments. The one thing that liberals have not done is show outrage. Why? Cos he's one of their own. And in liberal land, it's okay to lie for the cause.

Liberals aren't mad that Brian Williams lied. They're mad that he got caught.

Can you please generalize a little bit more? I'm not mad at him, I'm glad he got caught. I hated his silly broadcast. He's a narcissist with a capital N. But what angers me is that nothing is going to change for any of the network news programs. They're still going to stuff 22 minutes of bullshit down the AMerican public's throat with maybe 4 minutes of anything of substance included, just like Bill Maher said on Friday night.

Sorry, Great Gasbag, but I don't get outraged by the actions of newscasters/journalists from any side of the political spectrum. I have more important things to do. But I'm sure you've said the same thing about conservatives and Fox News' daily lies, right comrade?

EDITED: (You can see my original post in sock's reply). Just gonna note that sock's post is case in point of what I was saying in the OP. And sock's follow-up post isn't even worthy of a reply (much like sock's first post).

I see that all the time here. I make a point, and then a person will respond with a perfect example of my point but wrap it in a personal insult, as if they're disagreeing. I obviously struck a nerve, but they can't deny my point. It cracks me up, it happens all the freaking time.

Anyway, to illustrate your point, HuffPo has a story titled (get this) "How Williams' Rare Talents Brought About His Downfall" (I'm not making this up), and then a link to this story: Storytelling ability connected Brian Williams with viewers but also led to his downfall - The Washington Post

From the piece:
In his 55 years, Brian Williams has fashioned a life that needed no embellishment, a life so filled with gravity-defying success, with fame and riches, that it might have seemed too good to be true.

Yet some of the very traits that made Williams so irresistible to TV viewers — the intimacy of his storytelling and the eagerness to seal his legitimacy by proving his proximity to the action — are at the root of his undoing.

"Embellishment" No, they were lies. And yes, Brian Williams did have a persona made for TV, and he could have had significant success while being on the level. But let's not totally downplay the extent to which his lies helped his career. Being a guy that survived a missile made him the talk of any town he went to. And BW's Katrina lies had all sorts of political ramifications as well as gaining great glory for himself. In fact, that coverage catapulted him to the anchorship. So, yea, BW saying dead bodies were floating down the French Court was a sound bite that built his brand. He was no longer just a guy standing in the rain when he could paint a picture of surviving chaos instead.

You simply don't know what happened with Rather back then. Do a little research. Start by reading the article I just gave you.

Yep, Rather was hung out to dry.

Can you please generalize a little bit more? I'm not mad at him, I'm glad he got caught. I hated his silly broadcast. He's a narcissist with a capital N. But what angers me is that nothing is going to change for any of the network news programs. They're still going to stuff 22 minutes of bullshit down the AMerican public's throat with maybe 4 minutes of anything of substance included, just like Bill Maher said on Friday night.

You're the exception, not the rule.

Last edited:
It's a war story and war stories are usually a little exaggerated.

Well, someone fired the guy...or will fire him, whatever. Who are those people? Who is pressuring them?

Valid questions.

Shit does not happen in a vacuum. There is always a reason.

Irresistible media feeding frenzy? Retribution for volunteering a confession? Who knows.

Sorry, Great Gasbag, but I don't get outraged by the actions of newscasters/journalists from any side of the political spectrum. I have more important things to do. But I'm sure you've said the same thing about conservatives and Fox News' daily lies, right comrade?

You can't even avoid hypocrisy within the space of three sentences. You say that the newscasters actions is not of importance and that you don't care and then you go on your own little spill about media that you don't like. Yea, this is the spin strategy. You aren't mad that BW lied like I say. You're mad that he got caught.

BTW, we've had little to no interaction and you're speaking to me like we have a history. One wonders whose sock you are.
You need to learn the meaning of 'hypocrisy', comrade. Saying that I'm not outraged by the actions of newscasters, then commenting on Fox News' lies being absent from your criticism, yeah that's not hypocrisy. Learn to read.
You don't care you're own president is a liar, so i'm not surprised.

Would it surprise you to know that the paragon of right wing ideology, Ronald Reagan repeatedly told a story about how he personally filmed Nazi death camps, and the impact that filming had on him when he actually never left the United States during that time?

EDITED: (You can see my original post in sock's reply). Just gonna note that sock's post is case in point of what I was saying in the OP. And sock's follow-up post isn't even worthy of a reply (much like sock's first post).

I see that all the time here. I make a point, and then a person will respond with a perfect example of my point but wrap it in a personal insult, as if they're disagreeing. I obviously struck a nerve, but they can't deny my point. It cracks me up, it happens all the freaking time.

Anyway, to illustrate your point, HuffPo has a story titled (get this) "How Williams' Rare Talents Brought About His Downfall" (I'm not making this up), and then a link to this story: Storytelling ability connected Brian Williams with viewers but also led to his downfall - The Washington Post

From the piece:
In his 55 years, Brian Williams has fashioned a life that needed no embellishment, a life so filled with gravity-defying success, with fame and riches, that it might have seemed too good to be true.

Yet some of the very traits that made Williams so irresistible to TV viewers — the intimacy of his storytelling and the eagerness to seal his legitimacy by proving his proximity to the action — are at the root of his undoing.

"Embellishment" No, they were lies. And yes, Brian Williams did have a persona made for TV, and he could have had significant success while being on the level. But let's not totally downplay the extent to which his lies helped his career. Being a guy that survived a missile made him the talk of any town he went to. And BW's Katrina lies had all sorts of political ramifications as well as gaining great glory for himself. In fact, that coverage catapulted him to the anchorship. So, yea, BW saying dead bodies were floating down the French Court was a sound bite that built his brand. He was no longer just a guy standing in the rain when he could paint a picture of surviving chaos instead.

Looks to me like you want liberals to defend him and take the situation as a personal defeat. Sorry, but not everybody is so protective of news sources as fox viewers are. It was the same thing when Republicans took the Senate in the recent midterm. You really wanted us to be wailing and wearing ashes and sack cloth, but it just didn't happen. Sorry that disappointed you.

Don't know what you're talking about. But if you're spreading major lies about a sitting president coming towards the final stretch of a presidential election, then you're toast. Rather made his own bed.

You mean like Hannity did with the whole birther thing?

You want me to delve into another issue to avoid talking about Rather's major breech? Pass.

Would it surprise you to know that the paragon of right wing ideology, Ronald Reagan repeatedly told a story about how he personally filmed Nazi death camps, and the impact that filming had on him when he actually never left the United States during that time?

It wouldn't surprise me. Nor would it surprise me to find out that you or someone else is "embellishing" or "conflating" matters.

Don't know what you're talking about. But if you're spreading major lies about a sitting president coming towards the final stretch of a presidential election, then you're toast. Rather made his own bed.

You mean like Hannity did with the whole birther thing?

You want me to delve into another issue to avoid talking about Rather's major breech? Pass.

Of course not. You were the one that mentioned spreading a major lie about a sitting president just before his second term. I only gave another example of that happening. Of course, the results weren't exactly the same. I guess that was because everybody was already used to Hannity lying, where Rather was a big surprise.

Forum List

Back