Liberals aren't mad that Brian Williams lied...

The birther thing was resolved long ago, Right wing crazies, teabaggers, and conspiracy theory nuts are the only ones who still give it anything but derision.

If USMB were a bar and politics were the boos, I'd be calling out, "You're cut off."

And in fact, you're cut off.

Oh noes.....You're not really going to cut me off are you? What if I offer to give you a reach around? Would you reconsider then? Sorry buddy, but you can't do that. Around here, you have to be a right wing moderator before you can cut someone off for exposing you ignorance.

bouncers_1382986c.jpg

161.gif

The birther thing was resolved long ago, Right wing crazies, teabaggers, and conspiracy theory nuts are the only ones who still give it anything but derision.

If USMB were a bar and politics were the boos, I'd be calling out, "You're cut off."

Oh noes.....You're not really going to cut me off are you? What if I offer to give you a reach around? Would you reconsider then? Sorry buddy, but you can't do that. Around here, you have to be a right wing moderator before you can cut someone off for exposing you ignorance.

bouncers_1382986c.jpg

161.gif

You may borrow this....

girl_gun.gif

bouncers_1382986c.jpg

161.gif

You may borrow this....

girl_gun.gif

Mine was better and more applicable tbh. But thanks, anyways.

Not sure, but I'll bet you can find plenty of teabaggers that believe they did. Teabaggers are willing to believe anything.

We do know all liberals are definitely from a place WAY OUT THERE!!!!

As usual for a teabagger, what you think you know just ain't so.
Says a progressive dummy, that never tells the truth.... Explain that Birth certificate if you can!

I'm sure you have had it explained many times, but you just don't want to admit it. Why don't I let Luther try this time?

Did they give Bush a PHONY BIRTH CERTIFICATE ALSO????:ahole-1:

Obama-With-Space-Alien-44202838910.jpeg

Not sure, but I'll bet you can find plenty of teabaggers that believe they did. Teabaggers are willing to believe anything.

We do know all liberals are definitely from a place WAY OUT THERE!!!!

As usual for a teabagger, what you think you know just ain't so.
Says a progressive dummy, that never tells the truth.... Explain that Birth certificate if you can!

I'm sure you have had it explained many times, but you just don't want to admit it. Why don't I let Luther try this time?

Thank you for proving you can't...as expected, a diversion into comedy!

Sorry, Great Gasbag, but I don't get outraged by the actions of newscasters/journalists from any side of the political spectrum. I have more important things to do. But I'm sure you've said the same thing about conservatives and Fox News' daily lies, right comrade?

EDITED: (You can see my original post in sock's reply). Just gonna note that sock's post is case in point of what I was saying in the OP. And sock's follow-up post isn't even worthy of a reply (much like sock's first post).

I see that all the time here. I make a point, and then a person will respond with a perfect example of my point but wrap it in a personal insult, as if they're disagreeing. I obviously struck a nerve, but they can't deny my point. It cracks me up, it happens all the freaking time.

Anyway, to illustrate your point, HuffPo has a story titled (get this) "How Williams' Rare Talents Brought About His Downfall" (I'm not making this up), and then a link to this story: Storytelling ability connected Brian Williams with viewers but also led to his downfall - The Washington Post

From the piece:
In his 55 years, Brian Williams has fashioned a life that needed no embellishment, a life so filled with gravity-defying success, with fame and riches, that it might have seemed too good to be true.

Yet some of the very traits that made Williams so irresistible to TV viewers — the intimacy of his storytelling and the eagerness to seal his legitimacy by proving his proximity to the action — are at the root of his undoing.

"Embellishment" No, they were lies. And yes, Brian Williams did have a persona made for TV, and he could have had significant success while being on the level. But let's not totally downplay the extent to which his lies helped his career. Being a guy that survived a missile made him the talk of any town he went to. And BW's Katrina lies had all sorts of political ramifications as well as gaining great glory for himself. In fact, that coverage catapulted him to the anchorship. So, yea, BW saying dead bodies were floating down the French Court was a sound bite that built his brand. He was no longer just a guy standing in the rain when he could paint a picture of surviving chaos instead.

I already essplained to you that (a) there's no such thing as the "French Court" outside of France, that (b) there was indeed flooding in the French Quarter sufficient to float a corpse, and (c) the newspaper (which is in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans) already corrected itself on the suggestion that there was no such flooding; therefore you do not know that was a lie or embellishment. At all.

If the OP were to honestly state why he IS outraged by Williams' lies, I'd be very impressed.
He is supposed to be a news caster. You don't care that they will lie to you?

If he lied about the news.....and I was misled by him regarding something important, I'd care. I find what he did here to be indicative of a major character flaw. I'm not heavily invested in anyone who delivers the news on television. So...I'm not outraged.
Did you care about Dan Rather?

I believe Dan Rather's account of what took place. You probably didn't read this:

Truth or Consequences Texas Monthly

I don't believe that he misled anyone intentionally.
He made the entire story up. What the hell are you talking about?

Not at all. I had already read all of that before CBS aired it, in a biography. Rather didn't originate it.

Sorry, Great Gasbag, but I don't get outraged by the actions of newscasters/journalists from any side of the political spectrum. I have more important things to do. But I'm sure you've said the same thing about conservatives and Fox News' daily lies, right comrade?

EDITED: (You can see my original post in sock's reply). Just gonna note that sock's post is case in point of what I was saying in the OP. And sock's follow-up post isn't even worthy of a reply (much like sock's first post).

I see that all the time here. I make a point, and then a person will respond with a perfect example of my point but wrap it in a personal insult, as if they're disagreeing. I obviously struck a nerve, but they can't deny my point. It cracks me up, it happens all the freaking time.

Anyway, to illustrate your point, HuffPo has a story titled (get this) "How Williams' Rare Talents Brought About His Downfall" (I'm not making this up), and then a link to this story: Storytelling ability connected Brian Williams with viewers but also led to his downfall - The Washington Post

From the piece:
In his 55 years, Brian Williams has fashioned a life that needed no embellishment, a life so filled with gravity-defying success, with fame and riches, that it might have seemed too good to be true.

Yet some of the very traits that made Williams so irresistible to TV viewers — the intimacy of his storytelling and the eagerness to seal his legitimacy by proving his proximity to the action — are at the root of his undoing.

"Embellishment" No, they were lies. And yes, Brian Williams did have a persona made for TV, and he could have had significant success while being on the level. But let's not totally downplay the extent to which his lies helped his career. Being a guy that survived a missile made him the talk of any town he went to. And BW's Katrina lies had all sorts of political ramifications as well as gaining great glory for himself. In fact, that coverage catapulted him to the anchorship. So, yea, BW saying dead bodies were floating down the French Court was a sound bite that built his brand. He was no longer just a guy standing in the rain when he could paint a picture of surviving chaos instead.

Looks to me like you want liberals to defend him and take the situation as a personal defeat. Sorry, but not everybody is so protective of news sources as fox viewers are. It was the same thing when Republicans took the Senate in the recent midterm. You really wanted us to be wailing and wearing ashes and sack cloth, but it just didn't happen. Sorry that disappointed you.

Fox Noise connects with its audience on an emotional level. They've been played like that so long they think having an emotional relationship with a TV channel is like, normal.

From the piece:

That makes sense. Neurologists tell us that the way the memory works is not literal like your computer memory but a series of stories we tell ourselves over and over, which inevitably get embellished, modified with what might have been, dressed up, dressed down, etc. I think that's why when you visit some place you haven't seen since childhood it looks so much smaller.

A TV talking head like Williams is in a constant pose, playing the part of Serious Gravitas Suit, because that's what he's hired to be. Apparently he told himself a few embellishments so well he started believing them himself. That's the hazard of living full-time in a fake-fantasy environment. Which is exactly what television is.

He is supposed to be a news caster. You don't care that they will lie to you?

If he lied about the news.....and I was misled by him regarding something important, I'd care. I find what he did here to be indicative of a major character flaw. I'm not heavily invested in anyone who delivers the news on television. So...I'm not outraged.

I believe Dan Rather's account of what took place. You probably didn't read this:

Not at all. I had already read all of that before CBS aired it, in a biography. Rather didn't originate it.
So he didn't lie?

Too much is being made of Brian Williams lying. He didn't lie about events like Dan Rather. He fibbed about his exploits.

From the piece:

That makes sense. Neurologists tell us that the way the memory works is not literal like your computer memory but a series of stories we tell ourselves over and over, which inevitably get embellished, modified with what might have been, dressed up, dressed down, etc. I think that's why when you visit some place you haven't seen since childhood it looks so much smaller.

A TV talking head like Williams is in a constant pose, playing the part of Serious Gravitas Suit, because that's what he's hired to be. Apparently he told himself a few embellishments so well he started believing them himself. That's the hazard of living full-time in a fake-fantasy environment. Which is exactly what television is.

I think you may be starting to believe your own 'embellishments.' No, Williams is bold face lying and you're excusing him; and that speaks to your own lack of character.

Naaaa, he's one of "THEIRS". so they don't care if he lies, cheats or steals. Hell they would forgive him for murder probably

they don't care Obama lies right in their face everyday or their nasty elected asses in their party

From the piece:

I think you may be starting to believe your own 'embellishments.' No, Williams is bold face lying and you're excusing him; and that speaks to your own lack of character.

I'm relating what neurologists tell us about how the brain works. And as usual disdaining the utterly fake landscape of television. If you believe in that fairy tale propaganda box, that speaks to your own lack of intellect. And you probably also believe in the tooth fairy.

Thread after thread, I've noticed liberals have not been offended by Brian Williams actions. Some have defended him. Many have attacked his accusers. Others have spun this about other issues. Others have presented moral relativism arguments. The one thing that liberals have not done is show outrage. Why? Cos he's one of their own. And in liberal land, it's okay to lie for the cause.

Liberals aren't mad that Brian Williams lied. They're mad that he got caught.
So? News outlets have consistently lied daily since the first broadsheets were printed.

So he didn't lie?

He and his team clearly failed to properly vet their source as was subsequently shown.

But you said he "made it up". No he didn't. The story had already existed. It was published before the TV show aired.

Thread after thread, I've noticed liberals have not been offended by Brian Williams actions. Some have defended him. Many have attacked his accusers. Others have spun this about other issues. Others have presented moral relativism arguments. The one thing that liberals have not done is show outrage. Why? Cos he's one of their own. And in liberal land, it's okay to lie for the cause.

Liberals aren't mad that Brian Williams lied. They're mad that he got caught.
So? News outlets have consistently lied daily since the first broadsheets were printed.

They surely have, and embellished a lot. But the fact remains these embellishments/fabrications were all personal anecdotes, not part of news content. It seems some Gasbags have invested themselves so emotionally with the boob tube, they can't tell the difference any more. They think it's an actual personal relationship. With a scripted actor in an electronic box.

Which is kinda ...
psy.gif

Forum List

Back