Liberal rag, Rolling Stone magazine, to be sold off

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Rolling Stone, Once a Counterculture Bible, Will Be Put Up for Sale

From a loft in San Francisco in 1967, a 21-year-old named Jann S. Wenner started a magazine that would become the counterculture bible for baby boomers. Rolling Stone defined cool, cultivated literary icons and produced star-making covers that were such coveted real estate they inspired a song.

But the headwinds buffeting the publishing industry, and some costly strategic missteps, have steadily taken a financial toll on Rolling Stone, and a botched story three years ago about an unproven gang rape at the University of Virginia badly bruised the magazine’s journalistic reputation.

And so, after a half-century reign that propelled him into the realm of the rock stars and celebrities who graced his covers, Mr. Wenner is putting his company’s controlling stake in Rolling Stone up for sale, relinquishing his hold on a publication he has led since its founding.

Mr. Wenner had long tried to remain an independent publisher in a business favoring size and breadth. But he acknowledged in an interview last week that the magazine he had nurtured would face a difficult, uncertain future on its own....

...the potential sale of Rolling Stone — on the eve of its 50th anniversary, no less — underscores how inhospitable the media landscape has become as print advertising and circulation have dried up.

“There’s a level of ambition that we can’t achieve alone,” Gus Wenner said last week in an interview at the magazine’s headquarters in Midtown Manhattan. “So we are being proactive and want to get ahead of the curve.”

“Publishing is a completely different industry than what it was,” he added. “The trends go in one direction, and we are very aware of that.”

The Wenners’ decision is also another clear sign that the days of celebrity editors are coming to a close. Earlier this month, Graydon Carter, the editor of Vanity Fair and a socialite and star in his own right, announced he planned to leave the magazine after 25 years. Robbie Myers, the longtime editor of Elle, Nancy Gibbs of Time magazine and Cindi Leive of Glamour also said last week that they were stepping down.

Anthony DeCurtis, a veteran music critic and a longtime Rolling Stone contributing editor, said he never thought Jann Wenner would sell Rolling Stone...

...Rolling Stone suffered a devastating blow to its reputation when it retracted a debunked 2014 article about a gang rape at the University of Virginia. A damning report on the story by the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism cited fundamental journalistic failures. The article prompted three libel lawsuits against Rolling Stone, one of which led to a highly publicized trial last year that culminated with a federal jury awarding the plaintiff $3 million in damages...

This is why liberal elites hate YouTube. :)

Last edited:
Can't remember the last time I actually looked at a Rolling Stone magazine. I think it was around 1974 or so.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
And yet the leftards still proclaim Rush Limbaugh is THROUGH... :lol:

The left is circling the toilet bowl. Won't be long and they'll go down the drain.

They've stunk up humanity for too long already.

And yet the leftards still proclaim Rush Limbaugh is THROUGH... :lol:

The left is circling the toilet bowl. Won't be long and they'll go down the drain.

They've stunk up humanity for too long already.
They will become increasingly violent as they do.

From the New York Times, to the New Yorker, to rolling stone it seems as if left wing rags(time mag., Newsweek) are in danger of extinction. So is it the death of,print journalism or the fact that all,print journalism is left wing that is causing the death. Remember almost all major newspapers including USA Today editorialized against trump. What is happening with espn? It is going radically left and going downhill.

I was a subscriber to RS in the early days. Hunter S Thompson, all those stories of the rock groups that wrote about my youth. I ate it up. Annie liebowitzs pictures were great when she still had her innocence. I always felt I was being informed back then. Today's issues are all about brainwashing and promoting wennars leftist ideology. Good riddance.

Never looked at Rolling Stone but 50 years is a hell of a run.

...the potential sale of Rolling Stone — on the eve of its 50th anniversary, no less — underscores how inhospitable the media landscape has become as print advertising and circulation have dried up.
For the last 20 years obituaries have become all to common for newspapers and magazines. I notice when I tote my Bible to one of my wife's doctor appointments that I'm often the only one waiting around that is not staring at a smartphone. I suppose Rolling Stone will get bought and transformed into a web-only format.

Forum List

Back