Let's do away with the misleading term "moderate"

One day the RWnuts claim that liberals are exclusionary of those who don't agree with them,

the next day the same RWnuts want to literally crucify the Republicans who don't toe the conservative line.
Conservative "principles" are fluid, VERY fluid. So fluid that to an observer, they appear to have none at all.

We can thank trump for one thing. The exposure of conservative "values". There are none.

So the OP considers Reagan a moderate because he sided with the Democrats in 1983 to save Social Security?
Not exactly, worse. In today's republicanworld, Reagan is RINO who needs to be primaried.

When Reagan was President, the House was controlled by Democrats who refused to increase defense spending without an increase in social welfare programs. The former contributed to the downfall of the Soviet Union, but the latter merely accelerated our fiscal problems. If you want to describe making a deal with the Devil as being "moderate," go ahead. But at least own up to it.
If you want the largest and most powerful military on the planet, you need to pay for it with the highest taxes on the planet and that means soak the rich. Remember when the top rate was 92% and America was in its golden years? Social programs are a given. It's called civilization.

As for Reagans spending, the Democratic Congress REDUCED every single budget Reagan proposed.

Last edited:
If I wrote down every single reason I ever thought of & every reason I ever heard of on both sides of the abortion issue how many on this board would look at both sides and concede that the other side had some valid reasons for there view, still keep there basic choice but have an understanding (not be so hateful) towards the other view. not many is my guess, but to hear with open mind is my view of moderation.

Simple question: At what point in the pregnancy/birthing process should abortion be illegal? Please be specific.

Isn't it nice the way "moderates" use a lot of words to say nothing?
"When It Comes to Doing Crossword Puzzles, He Is Clueless"

Like "clueless"? Logically, the way it's being used is a contradiction, "somebody who has clues but is too stupid to understand them." Why do you fall in line with using a fad word invented by Valley Girl bimbos? Here is the only logical meaning of clueless:

"There was no evidence, nothing to go on. The detective was clueless."

If I wrote down every single reason I ever thought of & every reason I ever heard of on both sides of the abortion issue how many on this board would look at both sides and concede that the other side had some valid reasons for there view, still keep there basic choice but have an understanding (not be so hateful) towards the other view. not many is my guess, but to hear with open mind is my view of moderation.

Simple question: At what point in the pregnancy/birthing process should abortion be illegal? Please be specific.
Never

First trimester ~ for ANY reason

Third trimester ~ only to kill a deformed fetus or health of the mother. By that time, the mother has had plenty of time to make a decision to abort for any reason.

Second Trimister is squishy ~ The woman needs a good excuse to kill a healthy fetus, but those occur. As we have found out with trump becoming president, waay too many Americans are imbeciles. A good example is a teenager who hides her pregnancy until her parents notice & decide to abort.

If you want the largest and most powerful military on the planet, you need to pay for it with the highest taxes on the planet and that means soak the rich. Remember when the top rate was 92% and America was in its golden years? Social programs are a given. It's called civilization.

First of all, the relevant calculation is net government expenditures (tax revenues less expenditures). A booming economy is the best way to maximize tax revenues and minimize social expenditures. History and economics have shown that lowering taxes achieves this better than raising taxes. (That is why the "fairness" argument is always brought up.) The "rich already pay a disproportionate share of taxes and have ways to avoid increases. The bulk of taxable income in this country resides with the middle class. How much do you want to raise their taxes?

As for social programs, they have generally been counter-productive to their stated purposes as well as astronomically expensive. (That is why we keep thinking up new programs.) Do you think we have become more "civilized" than in past years?

Never

Third trimester ~ only to kill a deformed fetus or health of the mother. By that time, the mother has had plenty of time to make a decision to abort for any reason.

Second Trimister is squishy ~ The woman needs a good excuse to kill a healthy fetus, but those occur. As we have found out with trump becoming president, waay too many Americans are imbeciles. A good example is a teenager who hides her pregnancy until her parents notice & decide to abort.

I agree that too many Americans are imbeciles. Especially those who try to hide their ignorance under a cloak of "moderation."

First of all, the relevant calculation is net government expenditures (tax revenues less expenditures). A booming economy is the best way to maximize tax revenues and minimize social expenditures. History and economics have shown that lowering taxes achieves this better than raising taxes. (That is why the "fairness" argument is always brought up.) The "rich already pay a disproportionate share of taxes and have ways to avoid increases. The bulk of taxable income in this country resides with the middle class. How much do you want to raise their taxes?

This is garbage. We have more millionaires and billionaires than ever before. The income difference is larger than ever before. This is totally to do with republican tax schemes. We have the top ten corporations paying ZERO taxes.

As for social programs, they have generally been counter-productive to their stated purposes as well as astronomically expensive. (That is why we keep thinking up new programs.)

Nonsense. It was republican economics that produced the poor & then kicked the mentals onto the streets. It started with Guess Who? Yep, Reagan.

I suppose in here you are including health care. It was business who started reducing benefits to their employees. This is a problem that will not go away. We can keep people alive for big bucks, bucks that they themselves cannot pay for. It is a growing problem that will have to be addressed eventually. In reality, our medical technology has gotten TOO advanced & this is economically deadly in a capitalistic economy with a middleman and profit motive.

Do you think we have become more "civilized" than in past years?

Yes, of course

Last edited:

Never

I agree that too many Americans are imbeciles. Especially those who try to hide their ignorance under a cloak of "moderation."
I'm actually a moderate, but I claim to be a liberal just to piss off the republicans. I wear the label with pride!

It's amazing that you would have an issue with moderation and reason.
Reason solves problems, not moderation. Do you know the difference?
Of course moderation is important. It's important in virtually everything we do.

The challenge is that moderation requires discipline, curiosity, humility and intellectual honesty. And the obedient flocks on both ends of the spectrum have been fooled into thinking that those are negative qualities.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

-Barry Goldwater 1964

Do you disagree?
Yes, of course.

You don't own the definition of the term "liberty" any more than Regressives own the definition of the term "racism". Yet you're both willing to act like you do.

Forum List

Back