Let’s chat about the atheist religion.

Interesting. You could say the same thing about yourself, right?

The only difference is I tested it and you didn’t. I have put my interpretation to the test and found that it did effect change for the positive on many levels and in many relationships. He has literally transformed me.

I guess I could be wrong about you testing your interpretation though. So feel free to share how you were able to test it. Maybe you can persuade me.
I was never a Christian so the NT was completely new to me so I tried to keep my mind open. We all have our biases of course so who knows how well they do.

You took the theology of the Bible you liked so I don't doubt it was a positive experience. I don't care much for anyone's theology but there are some good moral lessons there I try to emulate.

The tests are historical context, Occam's Razor, and my years of experience.
No. I said I didn’t parse it. I am willing to bet your historical context was cherry picked.

Occams Razor would predict that intelligence created intelligence.

What did your years of experience prove exactly? That God doesn’t exist?
The OT speaks of justice, eye or an eye, while the NT speaks of not judging (let he who is without sin cast the first stone). If you don't parse do you accept both?

His razor would ask where that first intelligence came from.

In all my years I have never encountered anything that was, without doubt, supernatural. Unexplained mysterious, maybe, supernatural, never. Jesus performed miracles to convince his followers, even a small one would be enough for me.
Maybe you think supernatural means magical like abracadabra.

Personally I think my atoms being 14 billion years ago and being dust at some point is pretty magical so to speak. So is a long chemical chains folding itself in the exact sequence necessary to produce a living organism from inanimate matter seems kind of magical so to speak.

But definitely God choosing to be born into this world to testify to truth and suffering death to reconcile justice with mercy is magical.

Jesus performed miracles to convince his followers, even a small one would be enough for me.
So you want the Creator of space and time to perform a trick for you like a show pony and you don’t think that doesn’t sound weird to you?

The OT speaks of justice, eye for an eye, while the NT speaks of not judging (let he who is without sin cast the first stone). If you don't parse do you accept both?
Sure. Why not? Are you telling you haven’t done both?
There are many ethical goals I have that I fall short of. I'm hardly perfect. So God is NOT telling us how to live but telling us how we really do live. Where's the moral guidance?

The only difference is I tested it and you didn’t. I have put my interpretation to the test and found that it did effect change for the positive on many levels and in many relationships. He has literally transformed me.

I guess I could be wrong about you testing your interpretation though. So feel free to share how you were able to test it. Maybe you can persuade me.
I was never a Christian so the NT was completely new to me so I tried to keep my mind open. We all have our biases of course so who knows how well they do.

You took the theology of the Bible you liked so I don't doubt it was a positive experience. I don't care much for anyone's theology but there are some good moral lessons there I try to emulate.

No. I said I didn’t parse it. I am willing to bet your historical context was cherry picked.

The OT speaks of justice, eye or an eye, while the NT speaks of not judging (let he who is without sin cast the first stone). If you don't parse do you accept both?

In all my years I have never encountered anything that was, without doubt, supernatural. Unexplained mysterious, maybe, supernatural, never. Jesus performed miracles to convince his followers, even a small one would be enough for me.

Personally I think my atoms being 14 billion years ago and being dust at some point is pretty magical so to speak. So is a long chemical chains folding itself in the exact sequence necessary to produce a living organism from inanimate matter seems kind of magical so to speak.

But definitely God choosing to be born into this world to testify to truth and suffering death to reconcile justice with mercy is magical.
Magical or supernatural, to my mind, means somehow outside of nature. I think everything in your 2nd paragraph can be understood as within nature. The 3rd is completely outside anything I've ever experienced. I have little reason to believe it happened and plenty of evidence it did not.

It’s effectively a how to book. How to live and how not to live.
It's a book of many authors telling us how we should live. I see little agreement between them and they offer many different ways to live. Jesus was a devout Jew who lived by the Laws of Moses and, no doubt kept the kosher rules in them. What happened? (Rhetorical question, I know what happened.)
And how not to live. But even that doesn’t begin to describe the information that can be gleaned from accounts that are thousands of years old or the vast nuances that I am almost certain are list in you.

But I don’t have any desire to enlighten you. Nor do I have any need to do it either because you are here searching for it and you dint even know it.

Magical or supernatural, to my mind, means somehow outside of nature. I think everything in your 2nd paragraph can be understood as within nature. The 3rd is completely outside anything I've ever experienced. I have little reason to believe it happened and plenty of evidence it did not.
I’m sure you have dismissed creating space and time from nothing and inanimate matter overcoming impossible odds of having the right chains and folding sequence to accomplish the impossible.

The human mind cannot live in conflict.

Jesus performed miracles to convince his followers, even a small one would be enough for me.
So you want the Creator of space and time to perform a trick for you like a show pony and you don’t think that doesn’t sound weird to you?
Jesus performed plenty of tricks, why not one for me?
Maybe one day you will have the opportunity to ask him.

It has been said that blessed are those who have seen and believed but the truly blessed are those who have not seen and believed.

No. His razor would conclude intelligence is the source and matrix which has always existed and that the material world is literally mind stuff.
It's a book of many authors telling us how we should live. I see little agreement between them and they offer many different ways to live. Jesus was a devout Jew who lived by the Laws of Moses and, no doubt kept the kosher rules in them. What happened? (Rhetorical question, I know what happened.)
And how not to live. But even that doesn’t begin to describe the information that can be gleaned from accounts that are thousands of years old or the vast nuances that I am almost certain are list in you.

But I don’t have any desire to enlighten you. Nor do I have any need to do it either because you are here searching for it and you dint even know it.
Searching yes, finding, no.

The OT speaks of justice, eye for an eye, while the NT speaks of not judging (let he who is without sin cast the first stone). If you don't parse do you accept both?
Sure. Why not? Are you telling you haven’t done both?
There are many ethical goals I have that I fall short of. I'm hardly perfect. So God is NOT telling us how to live but telling us how we really do live. Where's the moral guidance?
It’s written into your heart. Where it’s always been.

It’s your choice how you live. You get plenty of feedback from your choices. So whether you realize it or not you are being pruned. You will either take the pruning, learn from it and progress or your lessons will be returned to you to learn over.

And you don’t believe God cares.

No. His razor would conclude intelligence is the source and matrix which has always existed and that the material world is literally mind stuff.

Searching yes, finding, no.
Which is why you are still here looking.

I’m sure you have dismissed creating space and time from nothing and inanimate matter overcoming impossible odds of having the right chains and folding sequence to accomplish the impossible.

Not impossible, merely very improbable. Of course, given enough time, the improbable becomes inevitable.

Neither space or time needs to be created

Not impossible, merely very improbable. Of course, given enough time, the improbable becomes inevitable.
Do you have any idea what is actually involved?

So why are you here, wasting your time with a non-believer?
I am discussing something I believe in. Isn’t that what people typically do? Discuss things they like? Discuss things that interest them? Discuss things they believe in?

By comparison you are discussing something you don’t believe in? You don’t like religion do you? Does religion interest you? Does God interest you? So I have two choices in seeing what you are doing here. The first one is you are searching for God. The other ones isn’t a good look on you. So I won’t even go there. Unless of course you believe Breezewood or Harmonica are good looks.

Neither space or time needs to be created
Sure it does. Why do you think it doesn’t?

So why are you here, wasting your time with a non-believer?
I am discussing something I believe in. Isn’t that what people typically do? Discuss things they like? Discuss things that interest them? Discuss things they believe in?

By comparison you are discussing something you don’t believe in? You don’t like religion do you? Does religion interest you? Does God interest you? So I have two choices in seeing what you are doing here. The first one is you are searching for God. The other ones isn’t a good look on you. So I won’t even go there. Unless of course you believe Breezewood or Harmonica are good looks.
I don't believe in your God and don't follow any religion. Mankind has always had a god or gods and religions. Why? That is what I want to know. What is it in the character of men and societies that they must have a father. When will we grow up? Or will we always need some to tell us what to do?

Forum List

Back