Let’s chat about the atheist religion.

How can anyone accept your interpretation when you were in direct conflict with the verses?
Why don't you show me the 'direct conflicts' and stop wasting your time trying to insult me?
Because I want to show what an arrogant, intellectually lazy, lying piece of shit you are.
No one with an advanced degree needs me to supply a pre-selected Link to a set of verses that resides on tens of thousands of web sites.
Because you will then say I selected the verses from a site that agrees with me.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
How can anyone accept your interpretation when you were in direct conflict with the verses?
Why don't you show me the 'direct conflicts' and stop wasting your time trying to insult me?
Because I want to show what an arrogant, intellectually lazy, lying piece of shit you are.
No one with an advanced degree needs me to supply a pre-selected Link to a set of verses that resides on tens of thousands of web sites.
Because you will then say I selected the verses from a site that agrees with me.
Well then don't that will show me.

Well then don't that will show me.
Where did you landscape and dig graves?

It is arrogance to think that w a human beings are capable of knowing everything.
Is it arrogance to believe humans are capable of learning everything?

Yes.

My dog will never learn how to perform simple algebra. What makes you think the people do not have a physical limitation in cognitive function that renders us incapable of learning the concepts needed to understand the universe?
I wouldn’t expect a dog to learn algebra. There are very specific requirements for intelligence such as possessed by humans to emerge. Let me know if you want me to explain them for you.

The human mind is like a muscle in that the more we exercise it the “stronger” it gets.

In fact the central nervous system has increased in size in every mammal species. So we can extrapolate from that trend and project that that trend will continue.

It is arrogance to think that w a human beings are capable of knowing everything.

Yes.

My dog will never learn how to perform simple algebra. What makes you think the people do not have a physical limitation in cognitive function that renders us incapable of learning the concepts needed to understand the universe?
I wouldn’t expect a dog to learn algebra. There are very specific requirements for intelligence such as possessed by humans to emerge. Let me know if you want me to explain them for you.

The human mind is like a muscle in that the more we exercise it the “stronger” it gets.

In fact the central nervous system has increased in size in every mammal species. So we can extrapolate from that trend and project that that trend will continue.

Just as a dog's brain is incapable of comprehending algebra, the human brain has its own limitations.

Our brain is a physical organ therefore it has physical limits.

As I said as smart as we think we are we only understand about 5% of the matter and energy that exists in the universe.

There is no evidence that we will ever be able to fully comprehend the nature of the universe.

BTW, Christianity teaches religion is more important than family in Matthew 10:35, "For I have come to turn ‘A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law".
How do you know that is what that means?

I have an entirely different understanding of what that means. Is it possible that your understanding was chosen to confirm your bias? Is there no other possible understanding which is less insulting than concluding that religion -,which isn’t even what Christ is discussing - should be placed above family? Because if you cannot think of one single positive explanation for what this means then how did you test your belief?
We all have our biases.

This is a sentiment Jesus repeats several times and in his apocolyptic view of the world it makes perfect sense. Since the end times were coming soon, family and material goods were unimportant. Everyone should give all their money to the poor, leave their family, and follow him.
Again, not even close to my understanding and I believe you are looking to confirm your bias. You can prove me wrong by showing me a positive explanation that you considered and the explain why you rejected it. This is what it means to test your notional beliefs. You literally need to take a position counter to your belief and genuinely test your belief to arrive at objective truth.

Yes.

Just as a dog's brain is incapable of comprehending algebra, the human brain has its own limitations.

As I said as smart as we think we are we only understand about 5% of the matter and energy that exists in the universe.

There is no evidence that we will ever be able to fully comprehend the nature of the universe.
I just explained why our limits can increase. Now I will tell you that as new information is discovered our current capability is capable of processing it. So I see absolutely no reason why we can’t learn more.

We actually know a great deal about how the universe began. There is even an elegant equation that explains how space and time were created from nothing and then began to expand and cool.

Yes.

I just explained why our limits can increase. Now I will tell you that as new information is discovered our current capability is capable of processing it. So I see absolutely no reason why we can’t learn more.

I never said they can't increase I said there is a limit to how much they can increase.

Just because we may not have reached that limit does not mean there is no limit.

This is a sentiment Jesus repeats several times and in his apocalyptic view of the world it makes perfect sense. Since the end times were coming soon, family and material goods were unimportant. Everyone should give all their money to the poor, leave their family, and follow him.
Again, not even close to my understanding and I believe you are looking to confirm your bias. You can prove me wrong by showing me a positive explanation that you considered and the explain why you rejected it. This is what it means to test your notional beliefs. You literally need to take a position counter to your belief and genuinely test your belief to arrive at objective truth.
I gave you my interpretation. What is yours? Please include the opposing explanation and why you rejected it.

We actually know a great deal about how the universe began. There is even an elegant equation that explains how space and time were created from nothing and then began to expand and cool.
All that is theory based on our observations.

Knowing that we have no understanding of 95% of the matter and energy that the universe is made of it is arrogant to think we understand the origins of the universe

Knowing that we have no understanding of 95% of the matter and energy that the universe is made of it is arrogant to think we understand the origins of the universe

Thanks for recommending these two articles. They were wonderful!

As a kid I had a telescope and dreamed of being an Astronomer. It was not to be. But reading these articles re-awoke that old excitement about studying the universe. :)

Yes.

I never said they can't increase I said there is a limit to how much they can increase.

Just because we may not have reached that limit does not mean there is no limit.

Right. You just said we can’t learn everything. I disagree.

Incorrect. What you are talking about is what will happen to the universe. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the universe began.

Funny thing about dark matter is no one can find any if it.

it’s just a fancy fudge factor.

but it regardless it irrelevant to how the universe began.

This is a sentiment Jesus repeats several times and in his apocalyptic view of the world it makes perfect sense. Since the end times were coming soon, family and material goods were unimportant. Everyone should give all their money to the poor, leave their family, and follow him.
I gave you my interpretation. What is yours? Please include the opposing explanation and why you rejected it.
Thank you for asking.

I believe the message of Christ goes back to the account of Adam and Eve where their true crime was not disobeying God but failing to take accountability for disobeying God. That is the original sin. Rationalizing wrong as a right. We are all guilty of it. The sword Jesus brought was objective truth. He wants us to see everything as it really is, especially ourselves. The sword Jesus brought to us is objective truth. He was born into the world to testify to the truth. The conflict is subjectivity. Subjectivity is what keeps us from seeing reality. Subjectivity is what keeps us from transforming ourselves.

As for material possessions and earthly desires. We are free to pursue pleasure, wealth, power and fame but none of those things will satisfy us because we were made for more. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of our labor. The Bible is very clear on this. The issue is one of balance. Everything must be in balance. Do the right thing, the right way for the right reason. If one becomes out of balance he begins worshipping created things instead of the creator. That usually doesn’t end well. We do have an obligation to be stewards. We do have an obligation to be fair. We do have an obligation to treat others well. These things all sort themselves out if one is objective. The cornerstone of objectivity is humility. If one is humble he cannot help but be objective. If one is objective he cannot help but do the right thing, the right way for the right reason. Then, being a steward, treating others fairly, helping your fellow man comes naturally.

Thank you for asking.

I believe the message of Christ goes back to the account of Adam and Eve where their true crime was not disobeying God but failing to take accountability for disobeying God. That is the original sin. Rationalizing wrong as a right. We are all guilty of it. The sword Jesus brought was objective truth. He wants us to see everything as it really is, especially ourselves. The sword Jesus brought to us is objective truth. He was born into the world to testify to the truth. The conflict is subjectivity. Subjectivity is what keeps us from seeing reality. Subjectivity is what keeps us from transforming ourselves.
You have a very positive interpretation of the Bible but I think you are essentially writing your own Bible. I've always thought of the Bible as a wonderful smorgasbord. Since everything is in it you can take out of it whatever you want. Of course when you do that you have to ignore the parts that contradict your interpretation.

As for material possessions and earthly desires. We are free to pursue pleasure, wealth, power and fame but none of those things will satisfy us because we were made for more. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of our labor. The Bible is very clear on this. The issue is one of balance. Everything must be in balance. Do the right thing, the right way for the right reason. If one becomes out of balance he begins worshipping created things instead of the creator. That usually doesn’t end well. We do have an obligation to be stewards. We do have an obligation to be fair. We do have an obligation to treat others well. These things all sort themselves out if one is objective. The cornerstone of objectivity is humility. If one is humble he cannot help but be objective. If one is objective he cannot help but do the right thing, the right way for the right reason. Then, being a steward, treating others fairly, helping your fellow man comes naturally.
I have no objection to what you wrote, I just think you are putting your spin on what is actually there and thereby ignoring the original context.

Incorrect. What you are talking about is what will happen to the universe. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the universe began.
Of course it does.

If we can't even figure out what the universe is made of we cannot with any certainty say how it began

Forum List

Back