Let me tell you about my Windows 10 pain today....

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
...at the office at some point we had a power outage and one of the office PC's decided it didn't want to work anymore...nothing...mother board doesn't even post...
So I ran out and bought a new PC...grudgingly knowing it would be Win 10...the first one in the building.

Powered up...set up her credentials...wait...no internet...what the...it sees the network...but no WAN or LAN.
So I run the useless troubleshooting as admin..."missing or corrupt IP protocol settings"...excuse me, but you do know that the "P" in "I.P." stands for protocol?? Your saying the internet protocol protocol settings is missing...gee that tells me a lot!! ... not...so I spend at least 30 minutes browsing forums...looking at Microsoft forums...tried everything...nothing. But wait...I find this one guy that said this happened to him and like me the cable is connected fine...all he did was pull out the ethernet cable WHILE THE COMPUTER IS OFF...and restart...and plug it up after it is back up....I did it...yep...works. WTF???
Now the printer...won't work. It is a HP Officejet 6600...only maybe 2 years old max...it installs the printer, in the devices it says working...shows up in the available printers...but neither firefox or IE sees it....what the...so again I am perusing forums...looking at HP troubleshooting...trying 1000 things...nothing.
AUUUUUUGH!!!!!!....but wait...found one guy who had the same problem...come to find out some composite USB devices just flat out don't work with Windows 10...it is supposed to...some devices work on some Win 10 computers, but strangely will not work on others.
Hilariously as it is...if I take the same printer...hook it up to a Win 7 box, share it...I can print to it. Oh the Irony.
So...now Office...enter credentials..."there is a problem with your account"...WTF does that mean? I call Microsoft # on the multi license tag..."hmm everything looks fine:..they give me a different number that should work...nope...so f*ck it...I installed Open office.
Installing Acrobat Reader because the joke PDF reader that comes with Windows has zero features...wait...what??? I have to enter a Microsoft ID to install this??? Fuuuu....ok fine...set this all up...installed...what do I have to reboot for??/...wait...what the...it changed the user credentials I set up to the long ass email I set the Microsoft account user as...now...I don't want that!!!!!

FML... M$ sucks!!!!!!!

...at the office at some point we had a power outage and one of the office PC's decided it didn't want to work anymore...nothing...mother board doesn't even post...
So I ran out and bought a new PC...grudgingly knowing it would be Win 10...the first one in the building.

Powered up...set up her credentials...wait...no internet...what the...it sees the network...but no WAN or LAN.
So I run the useless troubleshooting as admin..."missing or corrupt IP protocol settings"...excuse me, but you do know that the "P" in "I.P." stands for protocol?? Your saying the internet protocol protocol settings is missing...gee that tells me a lot!! ... not...so I spend at least 30 minutes browsing forums...looking at Microsoft forums...tried everything...nothing. But wait...I find this one guy that said this happened to him and like me the cable is connected fine...all he did was pull out the ethernet cable WHILE THE COMPUTER IS OFF...and restart...and plug it up after it is back up....I did it...yep...works. WTF???
Now the printer...won't work. It is a HP Officejet 6600...only maybe 2 years old max...it installs the printer, in the devices it says working...shows up in the available printers...but neither firefox or IE sees it....what the...so again I am perusing forums...looking at HP troubleshooting...trying 1000 things...nothing.
AUUUUUUGH!!!!!!....but wait...found one guy who had the same problem...come to find out some composite USB devices just flat out don't work with Windows 10...it is supposed to...some devices work on some Win 10 computers, but strangely will not work on others.
Hilariously as it is...if I take the same printer...hook it up to a Win 7 box, share it...I can print to it. Oh the Irony.
So...now Office...enter credentials..."there is a problem with your account"...WTF does that mean? I call Microsoft # on the multi license tag..."hmm everything looks fine:..they give me a different number that should work...nope...so f*ck it...I installed Open office.
Installing Acrobat Reader because the joke PDF reader that comes with Windows has zero features...wait...what??? I have to enter a Microsoft ID to install this??? Fuuuu....ok fine...set this all up...installed...what do I have to reboot for??/...wait...what the...it changed the user credentials I set up to the long ass email I set the Microsoft account user as...now...I don't want that!!!!!

FML... M$ sucks!!!!!!!
Like I keep saying, if it wasn't for game compatibility I'd no longer be running Windows....... Luckily I haven't had any of those problems though.

New problems....the scan part of the printer will not scan to PDF...if I scan using the printer interface it says "connection to PC is lost":...but of course it isn't lost. If I use the worthless M$ scan program it only scans as low res jpgs...not acceptable. So I again I am hunting around forums...yup...all kinds of people having the same problem...HP website...no help....
And this is an improvement?

Proper drivers and additional device software are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers and not of the developers of the OS. Not a fan of Win 10, but this is a fact, simple and plain.

Proper drivers and additional device software are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers and not of the developers of the OS. Not a fan of Win 10, but this is a fact, simple and plain.
I know what you're saying but that's a cop out excuse. Prior to Vista M$ at least tried to be inclusive with their operating systems and hardware, they resumed the inclusivity with Win 7 then dropped it again with Win 8 and Win 10.

I know what you're saying but that's a cop out excuse. Prior to Vista M$ at least tried to be inclusive with their operating systems and hardware, they resumed the inclusivity with Win 7 then dropped it again with Win 8 and Win 10.
Since Windows 95, most of the OS-Disc´s content is drivers. Today, drivers even arrive via the update channel. So I think MS did not a bad job regarding the hardware support but it is still a service, not a product. The sole responsibility have the hardware manufacturers.
The issue is not XP, Vista, 7, ect but the age of the hardware. Put a Soundblaster Pro in a XP system and you will need no drivers. You have sound with the very first start after the OS´ installation. Put it into a Vista system and it will be silent unless you install the driver.
And of course, MS cannot cover all the variety of devices. There can be issues, there can even be a complete lack of drivers. No reason to damn MS. It is as if you curse your car´s manufacturer when you hit a deep and painful road hole...

Doesn't being incredibly complicated to write drivers for the OS have anything to do with it? W10 has been out a while now and HP is a huge company.

Since Windows 95, most of the OS-Disc´s content is drivers. Today, drivers even arrive via the update channel. So I think MS did not a bad job regarding the hardware support but it is still a service, not a product. The sole responsibility have the hardware manufacturers.
The issue is not XP, Vista, 7, ect but the age of the hardware. Put a Soundblaster Pro in a XP system and you will need no drivers. You have sound with the very first start after the OS´ installation. Put it into a Vista system and it will be silent unless you install the driver.
And of course, MS cannot cover all the variety of devices. There can be issues, there can even be a complete lack of drivers. No reason to damn MS. It is as if you curse your car´s manufacturer when you hit a deep and painful road hole...
You missed the point but that's expected. He did mention the hardware wasn't that old, I mean come on, what does M$ consider old? Four years? Two years? Six months? :dunno:

You missed the point but that's expected. He did mention the hardware wasn't that old, I mean come on, what does M$ consider old? Four years? Two years? Six months? :dunno:
What about my last point?

It's not applicable, it's a stretch.

Yet with LinuxMint and ubuntu...issues are basically non existent.

Exactly...the device that did not work is approx. 2 1/2 years old. The 2nd printer I mentioned will only partially work is less than a year old. And they are both HP!!! Not like I bought "Yanko"....HP!
HP forums are FILLED with Win 10 complaints, especially the mystifying fact that the same device works on some Win 10 PC's and some not....I don't understand that. That should not be possible. That can only mean that across installs there is inconsistency in the code.

Yeah, no driver at all...

It is simply bad luck. My PC gets blackscreens in Windows 10. I can´t use it at all. But I am not burning the Microsoft HQ. You see many problems on forums and other platforms but you see no one creating a thread "My printer works fine." For 99,9% it is fine.

Exactly...the device that did not work is approx. 2 1/2 years old. The 2nd printer I mentioned will only partially work is less than a year old. And they are both HP!!! Not like I bought "Yanko"....HP!
HP forums are FILLED with Win 10 complaints, especially the mystifying fact that the same device works on some Win 10 PC's and some not....I don't understand that. That should not be possible. That can only mean that across installs there is inconsistency in the code.
Maybe it depends on the version of Windows 10?

It is simply bad luck. My PC gets blackscreens in Windows 10. I can´t use it at all. But I am not burning the Microsoft HQ. You see many problems on forums and other platforms but you so no one creating a threat "My printer works fine." For 99,9% it is fine.
Does Putin own Microsoft now? Your defense of M$ would indicate as much....... :eusa_whistle:

It is simply bad luck. My PC gets blackscreens in Windows 10. I can´t use it at all. But I am not burning the Microsoft HQ. You see many problems on forums and other platforms but you so no one creating a threat "My printer works fine." For 99,9% it is fine.
Does Putin own Microsoft now? Your defense of M$ would indicate as much....... :eusa_whistle:
I just provided you with a new point of view. Up to you what you do with it.

Yeah, no driver at all...[/QUOTE]

Driver...pheh...isn't it amazing that "drivers" 20 years ago were only 20-30 lines of text. If you had a device with numerous capabilities and options...gee...the "driver" might be a whopping 100 lines of text.
That is all a computer really needs.
Example..
"Hey I am a printer, using USB on port 4. My max paper is AxB, I can print from 200 to 1200 lpi, I have 3 drawers...etc. etc."
Linux "drivers" are still small.
Windows "drivers" can even be as large as 100 MB....ludicrous.
Especially something as simple as a printer. The computer only needs very basic info to use it.

Forum List

Back