Lessons of History and Trying To Avoid the Same Mistakes

Avoiding the mistakes of the past depends upon actually studying history and then understanding what the mistake really was. That subtle wisdom doesn't seem very widespread recently.

I apologized to her for taking the call. I got off quickly and told her, by way of explanation, “Rudy Giuliani just filed for bankruptcy.”

“Who's Rudy Giuliani?” she asked.

You know that noise they make in TV sitcoms, the one where the needle scratches across the record, and everything is interrupted? That was what I heard in my head. My mind worked over the implications of her question for the remainder of our time together.

She was born after 9-11. She never knew Giuliani as America's mayor when the Towers fell and certainly not as the staunch pro-law enforcement mayor in the city in earlier years. But it shocked me that someone of voting age was unaware of Giuliani—didn’t recognize his name and associate it with Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

She asked me about the bankruptcy. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” I explained that he’d lost a big defamation case in Georgia because he said horrible things about two election workers and disrupted their lives. Still no signs of recognition, but she got the point. “What an a**hole,” she concluded, based on my brief description of what he’d done.

I was raised in a politically active family. Politics was dinner table conversation in our house and I’ve been interested and engaged in politics for my entire life. This conversation was such an important reminder for me that not everyone is. And it’s not always because of a lack of interest.

I decided to get a gut check from my 21-year-old. “Do you know who Rudy Giuliani is?” I asked. He rolled his eyes. Of course he does. He reminded me he’s my son. But then, he schooled me on how it works for his generation. College kids, or most of them, don’t watch TV news or read newspapers. They get it from their social media feeds.

Intellectually I know this.

“Giuliani and Trump are all over your newsfeed Mom but now newsfeeds are customized. The only news I've seen today is about chess and rap music. [editor’s note: have I failed as a parent?] The algorithm generates your feed based on what you're interested in, and over time, you just get what you’re already into.” So it makes sense that my friend hadn’t seen anything about Rudy Giuliani. She’s not a politics junkie or a news junkie.

Don’t be afraid to share what you know and what you’re thinking about the upcoming election, especially with younger voters. They’ll tell you if they already know. But what if they don’t? What if they’re like my friend? Before Christmas, we looked at some numbers on voter turnout, which is particularly low among young voters. Some statistics from the 2014 election in particular revealed that 20% of those who didn’t vote stayed away because they didn’t like candidates, didn’t know enough, or didn’t care.

This is such a valuable insight. It’s a warning to make sure that we don’t assume that those around us know everything we know about the upcoming election and what it means for the future. Not everyone watched the January 6 committee hearings or has been exposed to the overwhelming evidence of Donald Trump’s perfidy. Take the time to start the conversation, whether it’s over a cup of coffee, in line at the supermarket, or in the gym. One voter at a time.

I got lunch with my friend after we worked out today. She told me she’d read a few articles about Giuliani and realized what it was about. She asked a couple of questions about the election interference case against Trump. Apparently, those few articles she’d looked at piqued her interest—and influenced her algorithm.

Donald Trump will end American democracy if he’s reelected. He will corrupt our country for his own benefit. He has not made a secret of it. The only question is whether enough of our fellow citizens will be aware of what the 2024 election means for the future and care enough when we go to the polls to prevent Trump from returning to power. The small steps that we take during the next few months will pay big dividends.

We've got to do everything we can.

[ Republicans could never come up with anything to replace Obamacare (which was Romneycare in Massachusetts) but insist that it, Healthcare.gov must be replaced at any cost ]

One of the principles of our legal system is having clear laws so people understand their rights and responsibilities and have notice of their obligations and the consequences of violating them. The violation of that principle is what makes recent developments with abortion so sinister. We now live in a world where some states have outright or close to outright bans on abortion, and the extent of any exceptions is so unclear that using them is all but foreclosed.

That’s what happened to Brittany Watts in Ohio, who was pregnant when her water broke at 21 weeks. Her doctor sent her to the hospital to get an abortion, telling her she needed one to avoid maternal death, sepsis, or other serious complications. But because the fetus still had a heartbeat, she couldn’t get the procedure. She ended up passing the fetus, alone and at home. Prosecutors have asked a grand jury to charge her with abuse of a corpse.

Here’s the kicker. During her first visit to the hospital, Watts waited for eight hours while a hospital ethics panel met to determine whether it could end her pregnancy without legal ramifications for the hospital and the medical personnel involved. That’s the cost of the uncertainty created by poorly written laws designed to make abortion as inaccessible as possible. If the health of the predominately white, conservative male politicians who have put these laws in place was at stake, we know this would look completely different. It’s madness.

Women are now stockpiling mifepristone and misoprostol, the two drugs used for medication abortion. The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the Fifth Circuit case that made them less accessible. With a decision due by the end of this term of Court, women are concerned about access to this most common and extremely safe form of abortion.

Last December, the Fifth Circuit, which covers Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi, sided with Texas, which challenged federal guidance that required hospital emergency rooms to perform emergency abortions.

A triptych shows portraits of three men wearing suits and ties.

The Fifth Circuit Panel that decided Texas hospital emergency rooms did not have to provide abortions necessary to stabilize a patient’s condition

A similar case in Idaho resulted in a different ruling in the lower court when a federal district judge stayed that state’s near-total abortion ban in medical emergency situations while the case proceeded. The state asked the Justices to hear the case—which they have now agreed to do—lifting the stay, which means that it’s all but impossible to get an emergency abortion in Idaho. The Court has the opportunity to clarify exceptions to these draconian provisions in this case, but as in the Texas SB8 case that was a precursor to the Dobbsdecision that overruled Roe v. Wade, permitting the law to remain in place while the litigation is ongoing doesn’t seem to signal that the Court is going to side with women here.

These laws are harming real people. It’s no longer enough for a woman to experience the loss of a desired pregnancy. Now women are being forced to endure trauma in the eye of the public, knowing that their health or their future fertility is not theirs to determine.

In Florida, there is an interesting development. Floridians who are trying to get a constitutional amendment on the ballot in 2024 that would end Florida’s restrictive laws have amassed the number of petition signatures that they need. They are currently at 911,169 signatures and need only 891,523. But Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody wants Florida’s Supreme Court to keep the measure off the ballot—she says its language could mislead voters. The amendment would end the Florida’s current 15-week ban and keep a Republican-proposed six-week ban from going into effect.

Expect Florida Republicans to fight hard to keep the measure off the 2024 ballot, where it could be a driver to turnout Democratic voters and other key demographics that Republicans are eager to suppress in a presidential election year. Florida wasn’t exactly close in 2020, but they won’t want to take any chances.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/results/state/florida/president

If it can happen in Florida, it can happen anywhere! As restrictive measures are imposed against the will of the voters, voters can assert their power using measures to amend laws and add constitutional protections for abortion. Just last month, voters in Ohio did that, passing a measure that would have protected Brittany Watts had it already been in place. No better reason for younger voters to get involved in the process. We are not powerless. In Dobbs, the Supreme Court left abortion up to each state to decide. It’s time for us to make sure our states don’t risk women’s lives in a haze of vague laws that make hospitals and doctors afraid to take steps to save them.

In a very encouraging sign for what's to come in November, the first special election of the year was a resounding success for Democrats. Tom Keen defeated Republican Erika Booth for Florida State House District 35, a huge surprise given that the county had voted for its last Republican state rep and Gov. Ron DeSantis by double-digit margins. Let this be the first in a year of many victories for the Democratic Party and our democracy!

(full article online)

Billionaire finance vampire Jeff Yass, a huge supporter of dismantling our public schools and replacing them with taxpayer-funded for-profit charters, dumped a staggering six MILLION dollars — the largest campaign donation in state history — into Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's war chest. We'll give you one guess what he wants in return for it. It is lunacy that we let obscenely wealthy, right-wing extremists use their play money to radically shape public policy to suit their own perverse, regressive agendas.

A group of the most uptight and deranged parents in America have taken it upon themselves to start a school that will teach "the red [MAGA] hat in textbook form." Their curriculum will surely get to the well-done heart of Trump and his MAGA movement, so we can safely predict elective offerings like "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Liars," "Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo: Painting with the Condiments," "Sexual Assault Allegation Defense 101," and "Rethinking Adolf Hitler."

(full article online)

Forum List

Back