Legacy of U.S. Grant complicated 200 years after birth.."In 200 years, when US gets out of protection all that it can offer, it will adopt free trade"

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Ulysses Grant, the Civil war hero and US president between 1868 and 1876

It just goes to show how hypocritical marxists can be. People that lived 100, 200, 300 years ago probably have different cultural attitudes, including Marx. Why do modern attitudes apply to Ulysses Grant, but not Marx?

Grant, along with Lincoln planned/promoted the burning-out of the Shenandoah Valley by Sheridan (who was no angel himself as the later Indian Wars would show).

Sherman said, "I can make this march (Atlanta to the Sea) and make GA howl" and Grant blessed the operation and Sherman did exactly that. Lots of suffering and murdering of non-combatants went along with the wholesale "foraging".

My ancestors were on the receiving end of Sheridan sacking of the Valley but even then I get it so I don't get too worked-up when it happens someplace else.

I note nobody ever talks about what John Pope did to Native Americans during the Civil War, just his failure at 2nd Manassas......He was flat-out a war criminal in every respect.

Forum List

Back